What do you think of Sports Directs sponsorship of NUFC?

Guest jordan.waugh

Guest jordan.waugh

I am conducting research for my dissertation into the potential associations transferred between Newcastle United Football Club and Sports Direct. I would be very grateful if you could take 5 minutes to complete my questionnaire. http://goo.gl/forms/6tzYqM28ql

Guest firetotheworks

I'm just going through it now and it's difficult. By NUFC do you mean the idea of NUFC (what it means, the fans, the history etc) or do you mean NUFC the club as it is at the moment under Ashley?

Guest jordan.waugh

I'm just going through it now and it's difficult. By NUFC do you mean the idea of NUFC (what it means, the fans, the history etc) or do you mean NUFC the club as it is at the moment under Ashley?

"NUFC (what it means, the fans, the history etc)". what the club means to you

Guest jordan.waugh

Also, your question is incorrect.  Sports Direct do not sponsor NUFC.  A sponsorship implies payment.

Although in laymans terms you are correct the technical definition of a sponsorship involves slightly more than just money. In terms of my dissertation, the complete definition is required. If you're interested the full use of sponsorship is:

“a business relationship between a provider of funds, resources or services and an individual, event or organisation which offers in return some rights and associations that may be used for commercial advantage”.

Although this does include funds, the relationship between sports direct and NUFC is still a form of sponsorship.

Also, your question is incorrect.  Sports Direct do not sponsor NUFC.  A sponsorship implies payment.

Although in laymans terms you are correct the technical definition of a sponsorship involves slightly more than just money. In terms of my dissertation, the complete definition is required. If you're interested the full use of sponsorship is:

“a business relationship between a provider of funds, resources or services and an individual, event or organisation which offers in return some rights and associations that may be used for commercial advantage”.

Although this does include funds, the relationship between sports direct and NUFC is still a form of sponsorship.

So going by that definition, this is a sponsorship deal as well, right? :lol:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/07/article-2385937-1B2F93B6000005DC-809_634x366.jpg

Guest jordan.waugh

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/07/article-2385937-1B2F93B6000005DC-809_634x366.jpg

Haha, Yeah your totally right. I suppose sponsorship is a parasitic form of marketing.

Haha, Yeah your totally right. I suppose sponsorship is a parasitic form of marketing.

Make sure you don't use that language in your dissertation, good luck, I've filled it in :thup:

I can't fill this in, as Sports Direct do not sponsor Newcastle United at all as far as I am aware.

We are owned by Mike Ashley, and we come under MASH holdings, but (again, as far as I am aware) there is no public contractual situation between the two organisations.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, and will then fill it in if that is the case.

Guest jordan.waugh

I can't fill this in, as Sports Direct do not sponsor Newcastle United at all as far as I am aware.

We are owned by Mike Ashley, and we come under MASH holdings, but (again, as far as I am aware) there is no public contractual situation between the two organisations.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, and will then fill it in if that is the case.

To be honest its a bit of a sticky situation. Mike Ashley used cash (generated by his companies, one being Sports Direct), to re-brand the stadium to show to the business world how attractive and beneficial stadium naming rights are, similar to Arsenal and the Emirates stadium.

Sponsorship creates a scenario where both entities can mutually benefit from the business arrangement for achieving corporate objectives. Looking at the two companies separately and not involving Mike Ashley. Both companies benefited:

-Sports Direct received additional exposure

-Newcastle United received money for the re branding and aimed to showcase its marketability to other potential suitors.

Taking the common denominator Mike Ashley out of the equation, both companies had an agenda and both used the stadium as another vehicle to make money.

Our advertising was recently valued at something like £25m p/a for which we receive the princely sum of fuck all.  In fact I recall we actually pay about £800k to SD for the privilege of being associated with such a glamorous brand.

Newcastle Utd get nothing from that leech, there's no benefit to us from our unfortunate entanglement with that down market jumble sale pretending to be a business.