Author Topic: Making A Murderer  (Read 27295 times)

Wullie

• Administrator
Making A Murderer
« on: Monday 28 December 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
Thought this was worthy of a thread rather than being hidden away in "What are you watching?", deserves a wider audience.

Ten part Netflix documentary about a hillbilly who was convicted in 1985 of rape in Wisconsin before being exonerated by DNA in 2003. He then decides to sue the local police department who had pretty much refused to look at anyone else for the original offence (in a nutshell). Weeks before he's in line for a potential $36m payout, a young woman who had come to take photos of his car for Auto-Trader vanishes, and the evidence starts to point towards him.

It's one of the most fascinating and enthralling documentaries I've ever seen, and a must-watch for anyone interested in true crime and the criminal justice system.

Anyone else other than the few of us in the other thread seen it yet?
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Troll

• Book Wanker
Re: Making A Murderer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 December 2015, 09:14:36 PM »
Is this like Serial?

Yorkie

• C'mTA
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 2015, 09:17:51 PM »
Ah aye I watched the first episode of this the other night, very interesting.

Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
Is this like Serial?

Sort of, but it's not retrospective, it was made over ten years and follows the entire case from start to finish. There's no narration, it's all told through court tv, local news broadcasts, interviews with the people involved, police interview tapes and general footage that the filmmakers have gathered over the years.

Apart from the crime issue, it's a fascinating look into hick small town America, where everyone doesn't just know everyone else but most of them are related to each other as well. Interesting when trying to put together a jury.

Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 December 2015, 09:26:41 PM »
I'm desperate to watch it, on account of it sounding a bit like The Jinx which was absolutely superb.

We're watching this Agathie Christie thing first, then it's hopefully my go.  Need to control my own wife etc.

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 12:27:11 AM »
Aye, I'm enjoying this. Right up my street, although I found the first couple of episodes quite slow, whereas The Jinx draws you in straight away.

What's this Serial that it keeps getting compared to? Can't seem to find the right one on IMDb.

triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 12:29:21 AM »
Aye, I'm enjoying this. Right up my street, although I found the first couple of episodes quite slow whereas The Jinx draws you in straight away.

What's this Serial that it keeps getting compared to? Can't seem to find the right one on IMDb.
Its a podcast not a movie
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 12:29:53 AM »
Aye, I'm enjoying this. Right up my street, although I found the first couple of episodes quite slow whereas The Jinx draws you in straight away.

Its a podcast not a movie

https://serialpodcast.org/season-one

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 12:35:28 AM »
Ahh! That's a bit odd, isn't it? :lol: I've never been one for podcasts but I've always just assumed it was more trivial matters being discussed in them. Might still give it a go.

Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 12:42:04 AM »
Aye I downloaded the first 3 podcasts earlier when I saw it mentioned, will probs end up getting ideas and killing loads of people then listening about the story later on.

Only watched half the first episode of MAM so far, can almost guarantee I'll watch it through. 

Should be more multi-part crime documentaries like this if the content warrants it, it occurred to me with The Jinx that I said it was fantastic but there's not really anything to compare it to.  A film or a one-parter doesn't really leave the same impact, if the detail's there to really intrigue you and there are levels to the story then let's have more of this.

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 12:53:27 AM »
About half way through this. The whole hick town law unto themselves thing is really quite scary. Dread to think how many bodge jobs have gone on over the years.

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 12:57:21 AM »
Have hardly stopped reading into this since finishing last week. One of the most depressing, infuriating things I've ever watched.

CFlan

• Hey, sprechen ze talk?
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 04:52:56 AM »
Just finished this, it's f***ing infuriating. It just keeps on kicking you in the balls to the very end. Some hateful c***s in it too.

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 09:34:27 AM »
Horribly similar to the West Memphis 3 case, particularly in the sense of using suspect, inconsistent testimony from a juvenile that's not all that there. 

There was a suspect to pin it on (in the end) with the WM3 mind you.  With the Averys, it's either he did it, the cops killed her or it was Bobby Dassey and/or Scott Tadych.  I don't think they made enough of a case of that, the second Kratz was able to play the indignant cop/prosecutor, he stitched up the case, with the a little help from the FBI.  No US jury is going to return a verdict that the cops set someone up, can hardly get them prosecuted for shooting people stone dead.
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • Pizza Life.
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
Only seen the first episode so far, thought it was a bit slow moving but I'll probably watch the rest as I've heard good reviews.

Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
Spoiler
Not sure I agree that it had to be either Avery or Bobby/Scott, though I think those two should have been investigated further. There's nothing to say that she wasn't accosted by a third party as soon as she left the salvage yard. The body was in the back of the car at some point and probably burned at the quarry so events did take place off site.

The cops didn't kill her (at least there's no evidence of that) and it was very disingenuous of the prosecution to claim that was the defence case.

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 01:00:35 PM »
Spoiler
My biggest problem would be the vehicle, why would someone who owned and operated a crushing device leave it out in the open and throw a few branches on it? It was found instantly, probably takes me longer to find my car in a car park and it was 'hidden' in a way that drew attention to it. There's no way Avery could have committed the murder and left not a trace of evidence at the scene and then not bother to get rid of a vehicle with his own blood on it. The fact that her body had been in there and the vehicle had been radioed in for a license plate check all doesn't add up either.

Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 01:08:50 PM »
God led her to the car. :rolleyes:

Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 01:42:21 PM »
OMFG this Serial podcast is gripping, already completely obsessed with it after 2 episodes.

Incognito

• I am the eggman goo goo gjoob
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 02:05:02 PM »
Giving this a whirl now
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 02:30:06 PM »
Just started this. f***ing hell.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
GF watched all 10 episodes yesterday - says it's fantastic. Will have to give it a try, it sounds really fascinating.

CFlan

• Hey, sprechen ze talk?
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 04:41:49 PM »

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 04:59:51 PM »
God led her to the car. :rolleyes:

:lol: Sure I mentioned it in the serial thread a while back but did you ever catch 'Murder on a Sunday morning'? Very similair to this although it's only a one off, one of the best documentaries I've watched though. The police work is absolutely disgusting in it.

Incognito

• I am the eggman goo goo gjoob
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 December 2015, 06:40:12 PM »
f***ing hell. Can't believe what I am watching here.
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.