Poll

Do you think article 50 will ever actually be invoked?

Yes
No

Author Topic: EU Referendum - the Aftermath  (Read 349417 times)

Re: Official in or out the EU thread.
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 07:49:57 AM »

Incognito

• I am the eggman goo goo gjoob
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 07:52:20 AM »
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 08:08:23 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24859486

Nonsense.

German car makers in the UK.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg-cars-made-in-britain.html
Sorry what's nonsense exactly?

Germany itself makes cars in the UK and we also import millions of cars FROM Germany. The idea they would impose tariffs on the UK is PATENT NONSENSE.

Seriously can people read and write in here.  :cheesy:

« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 08:10:31 AM »
The job loss myth and how people are stupid and clueless about everything.  :razz:

http://www.iea.org.uk/publications/research/the-eu-jobs-myth-0

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 08:23:53 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24859486

Nonsense.

German car makers in the UK.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg-cars-made-in-britain.html
Sorry what's nonsense exactly?

Germany itself makes cars in the UK and we also import millions of cars FROM Germany. The idea they would impose tariffs on the UK is PATENT NONSENSE.

Seriously can people read and write in here.  :cheesy:
So link posted from the BBC saying Nissan might look at leaving if it's a leave vote and you follow that with a list of non-British owned companies making cars in the UK.

Where precisely does any of that state that in the event of an exit vote they might not reconsider their options like Nissan?

I only asked if tariffs might become a thing, no one is saying it will.

Btw I like the certainty of the trade deficit being so one sided and it meaning we get just what we want from it all, as opposed to then knowing we'll still need to go to them to buy a lot of s*** [emoji38]

Sleep now in the fire

« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 08:48:28 AM »
Does anyone actual have a good reason to stay in the EU? :lol:

Troll

• Book Wanker
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 08:56:02 AM »
Purely looking at it from my own field, leaving the EU would be a similar disaster for British science as leaving the UK would have been for Scottish science.  We spend the lowest amount of our GDP on science of any G8 nation, yet we're the second most productive country for science in the world.  Why?  EU funding.  We get 20% of the funding from the European Research Council, when our population only makes up 12%. 

Senior scientists in the UK are pressured to bring in as much money as possible through grants, etc to fund their research.  The freeze the government has put on science funding has made this much harder in recent years, to lose the EU funding as well will see an exodus of British scientists to labs abroad.

Ian W

• plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 09:39:41 AM »

Gave you a few at the start, I just don't have enough doomsday YouTube clips to back it up.

FWIW I think people will vote to leave, the climate around this is toxic. Nigel Farage and his band of absolute nutters will turn out to be a disaster for the UK, we wouldn't even be having this debate if they hadn't been lavished with media time and allowed to force this issue to the top of the agenda. 

Good point on funding as well, my Master's degree was funded by the EU Social Fund... I couldn't have done it without that.

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
I think the initial concept of the EEC was/is a good thing, and the free movement of labour, provided you have a job to go to. I don't like the EU as it is, I think it's an undemocratic monster and it's over reliant on Germany, who basically run the whole thing. The way Merkel has handled the migrant crisis is an example, she welcomes everyone in, changes her mind, Schengen is scrapped at certain borders etc and it all impacts on the other members who are peacefully going about their business. It also won't change, the reforms being asked for are minimal. It's not something I'd want my country to be anchored to. We can have all the benefits of free trade, and tap into Europe's financial and labour markets without anchoring ourselves to it.  On that basis I'll be voting to leave.

« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:00:23 PM »
Though not perfect, what sense would there be in leaving the body we do most of our trade with and also the biggest free market in the World? Leaving would almost certainly cost us a lot of jobs. What about the millions of Britons who live elsewhere in the EU? Will they be allowed to stay where they are with an Out vote? There are still many questions to be answered, but on the face of it, leaving doesn't look a wise option to me.

We are not in the biggest free market in the world; we are in a customs union. Free trade areas would include the likes of NAFTA, EFTA and ASEAN whereas we are surrounded by the Common External Tariff.

We do not do most of our trade with the EU, in 2007-2008 trade with the rest of the world overtook EU trade. Currently trade with the EU collectively counts for 45% of exports, on current trends that will be 20% in 20 years yet we will be unable to solve this by signing FTA with other rising economies.

« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:01:28 PM »
Purely looking at it from my own field, leaving the EU would be a similar disaster for British science as leaving the UK would have been for Scottish science.  We spend the lowest amount of our GDP on science of any G8 nation, yet we're the second most productive country for science in the world.  Why?  EU funding.  We get 20% of the funding from the European Research Council, when our population only makes up 12%. 

Senior scientists in the UK are pressured to bring in as much money as possible through grants, etc to fund their research.  The freeze the government has put on science funding has made this much harder in recent years, to lose the EU funding as well will see an exodus of British scientists to labs abroad.

£350m a week goes to Brussels, that could quite easily be spent on science and research. Scaremongering to suggest otherwise.

Ian W

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
£350m from where? And where does it go?

« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:04:06 PM »
Scaremongering :lol:

Sleep now in the fire

Ian W

« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:05:08 PM »
I'm interested in the idea that the EU is undemocratic, I do struggle to decide on that one. You could argue that the UK parliament is undemocratic because you have to be represented by an MP you might not have voted for. Democracy doesn't mean always getting what you want.

« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:05:26 PM »

Us --> them.

Scaremongering :lol:

How not? It's an obscene amount of money that would be spent elsewhere, vote for it to be spent on R&D, the possibility that it might not is not an argument against leaving, it's an argument against spending it on X rather than Y which is a national issue.

Ian W

« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:07:24 PM »

Us --> them

I meant from which budget, to which budget, in what way.

« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:13:16 PM »
I'm interested in the idea that the EU is undemocratic, I do struggle to decide on that one. You could argue that the UK parliament is undemocratic because you have to be represented by an MP you might not have voted for. Democracy doesn't mean always getting what you want.

It does not, but it does mean having a say.

Look to Italy and Greece, both places where elected Prime Ministers were removed by Brussels and replaced with Eurocrats (I will concede that there was slightly more to it in the case of Berlusconi but the EU was certainly a factor), these Eurocrats were then puppeted to implement economic policies that these countries would never have voted for. Just look to Greece as to how that has worked out. It's clear that the Eurocrats care more about their agenda than public opinion.

Some quotes highlighting the democratic nature of these Eurocrats;

Jean-Claude Juncker;

On Greece, "When it becomes serious, you have to lie"

On Britain wanting a referendum over Lisbon Treaty

"Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty, but would I be wise to draw the attention of the public to this fact?"

On France wanting a referendum

"If it's a Yes we will say "on we go", if it's a No we will say "we continue""

On economic policy

"We all know what to do, we just don't know how to get re-elected after we've done it"

Jose Manuel Barroso

"Governments are not always right, if they were we would not have the situation that we have today. Decisions taken by the most democratic institutions in the world are very often very wrong."

« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:15:30 PM »

Us --> them

I meant from which budget, to which budget, in what way.

Sorry I don't really understand. We spend that much from our EU budget and it goes into their coffers to be doled out to other member states for various things, I don't think it's really earmarked for any particular cause at the point it leaves the UK. It is the gross cost of membership, there is a slight rebate but that brings the net cost per week to ~£230m.

Disco

• Me reading your posts
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
Would trust the EU far more to distribute the money to those who need it compared to the mugs running the South East UK. Happy to give them £128 a year or whatever the per capita is these days. Even moreso given that the NE, is I believe, a net recipient of funds and has a lot of EU funding for a lot useful stuff down the years.

Done well to get this far to turn it to the only issue that the general electorate really cares about.

When's the vote anyway - how many years before Farage becomes self appointed king/tops himself?

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:33:16 PM »

Biggest trading block in the world, we are part of it and have a say being in it. 

« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:36:38 PM »

Biggest trading block in the world, we are part of it and have a say being in it.

Iceland, Norway, Switzerland.

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 12:52:16 PM »

Iceland, Norway, Switzerland.

Not that old chestnut again!

Troll

• Book Wanker
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 14 October 2015, 01:24:20 PM »

£350m a week goes to Brussels, that could quite easily be spent on science and research. Scaremongering to suggest otherwise.

So you think the government would do that, when the UK science budget has gone down every year under them?