Poll

Would you want Scotland to leave the UK?

Yes
No

Voting closes: Thursday 13 April 2017, 07:36:29 PM

Author Topic: UK Politics - The Tory Years & Scottish Referendum thread  (Read 360028 times)

Thomson Mouse, summerof69 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
UK Politics - The Tory Years & Scottish Referendum thread
« on: Monday 20 July 2015, 02:59:40 PM »
Old thread can be found in Hall of Fame:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,70147.24975.html

I'll fling new polls up every now and again. 

Poll #1:  Labour Leadership [August 2015]

Spoiler
  • Andy Burnham - 17 (19.8%)
  • Yvette Cooper - 4 (4.7%)
  • Jeremy Corbyn - 58 (67.4%)
  • Liz Kendall - 7 (8.1%)

Total Votes: 86

N-O Says...  Corbyn.

Poll #2:  Presuming Corbyn wins the leadership, what will Labour do? [September 2015]

Spoiler
  • Unite behind their new leader, putting leadership election behind them - 11 (11.1%)
  • Degenerate into a backstabbing mess but remain as one party - 64 (64.6%)
  • Split in two, SDP-style - 14 (14.1%)
  • Mount a coup - 10 (10.1%)

Total Votes: 98

N-O Says...  Degeneration! :frantic:

Poll #3:  War Games [November 2015]

Spoiler
  • Extend bombing run - 11 (10.9%)
  • Extend bombing and get troops on the ground - 14 (13.9%)
  • Go through UN, chapter 7, before any decision is made - 29 (28.7%)
  • Leave well out of it, even if UN sanctioned - 47 (46.5%)

Total Votes: 101

N-O Says...  Leave well out of it!

Poll #4:  Next Conservative Leader [December 2015]

Spoiler
  • Boris Johnson - 21 (45.7%)
  • Teresa May - 6 (13%)
  • George Osborne - 16 (34.8%)
  • David Davis - 3 (6.5%)

Total Votes: 46

N-O Says...  Boris!

Poll #5:  Should Britain retain a nuclear deterrent? [July 2016]

Spoiler
  • Yes - 42 (46.2%)
  • No - 49 (53.8%)

Total Votes: 91

N-O Says...  NO MORE NUKES!  CND Loyal.

Poll #6:  Labour Leadership (Part 2) [July 2016]

Spoiler
  • Jeremy Corbyn - 67 (77%)
  • Owen Smith - 20 (23%)

Total Votes: 91

N-O Says...  Jeremy Corbyn, again!
« Last Edit: Tuesday 14 March 2017, 10:01:53 AM by BlufPurdi »
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Re: UK Politics - The Tory Years - Theresa May is new Prime Minister
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 03:07:24 PM »
I'll be voting Burnham-Corbyn-Copper-Kendall (probably).

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 03:12:48 PM »
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Ian W

• plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 03:12:51 PM »
I honestly don't think any of them are that great, but I would take a year or two of Corbyn to see what happens. Even if the right-wing media hammer him, they'll have to mention him and his policies while doing it.

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 03:14:12 PM »
Hopefully it would be long enough to split the party and get the New Labourers to f***. 

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • By the will of the people - freedom is ours again.
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 03:14:46 PM »
Tories taking us back in time.

Ian W

« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 03:15:21 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/even-the-liberal-democrats-are-voting-against-george-osbornes-benefit-cuts-10401768.html

If they vote in line with these changes I'd find it hard to endorse them ever again.

I can't for the life of me understand why Harman isn't going to town on these cuts. Labour have just been suckered by this fear of being seen as too soft on the economy. A triumph for Conservative thinking.

« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 03:17:22 PM »
The fact that I can see at least another decade of Tory rule, makes me f***ing sick.

« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
It's going to be an awful 10 years or so like

« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
Why? Wages are rising faster than they have been for many years, inflation is low, the job market is tight.

Disco

• Me reading your posts
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
Because having a relatively small amount of extra quid in your pocket isn't the be all and end all for some.

As was on the last thread, from the latest budget I'll get an extra <£10 per month from it. Give it to someone who needs it, I don't.

« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
Economic prosperity is usually the cause of liberalism and social equality. That's why cities are more liberal than the rural areas.

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 04:59:21 PM »
Why? Wages are rising faster than they have been for many years, inflation is low, the job market is tight.

:nope:

You know I respect your knowledge and all that, but this post is staggeringly unaware of what it's like for most of us that are struggling to live.  They're losing out on money, regardless of wage rises.  Basically since they've savaged Tax Credits, something you said the UK was right to have before they did it.

Troll

• Book Wanker
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 04:59:22 PM »
Economic prosperity is usually the cause of liberalism and social equality. That's why cities are more liberal than the rural areas.

I'm sure that'll be of great comfort to all the families who can't afford to pay their bills since the last budget.

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 04:59:29 PM »

Is that why rich c***s tend to be so generous?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 05:01:29 PM »

:nope:

You know I respect your knowledge and all that, but this post is staggeringly unaware of what it's like for most of us that are struggling to live.  They're losing out on money, regardless of wage rises.  Basically since they've savaged Tax Credits, something you said the UK was right to have before they did it.
Yeah, that was the wrong decision. Even the Economist has said so.

It doesn't mean that the economy isn't gradually improving.

Ian W

« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 05:03:15 PM »
'The economy' is such a vague concept though. Is the money going into the pockets of the people who need it?

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
An economy 'doing well' can still leave people behind, and that's the argument against the Tories.  Personally never believed they wouldn't get the economy growing again, but there are far too many casualties for it to be acceptable.  And just because it is doing well doesn't mean every single approach taken by the government is endorsed by this fact.

GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • Choose Life - the alternative's too permanent
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 05:26:07 PM »

BTW Bluf. Not impressed. :huff:
"Football violence will continue as long as they're shitting in our shoes and we're pissing in their Bovril" - Billy Connolly

Ian W

« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 05:27:48 PM »
We need better headline measures of success in a country than stuff like GDP and economic growth figures.

Child poverty, number of people on below-living wage, happiness surveys, social mobility measures, percentage of income spent on essentials, etc.

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 05:35:03 PM »

BTW Bluf. Not impressed. :huff:

I waited an ample amount of time. :lol:

What a day, I'm just a dick to everyone. :lol: :undecided:

GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • Choose Life - the alternative's too permanent
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
18 minutes = "an ample amount of time". :lol:

Dick. :lol:
"Football violence will continue as long as they're shitting in our shoes and we're pissing in their Bovril" - Billy Connolly

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 July 2015, 07:49:20 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11747266/Why-the-spiteful-and-stupid-foxhunting-ban-must-be-reversed.html

Thoughts?
It's a crock of s***?

Lost all credibility immediately with 'i may have hunted as a child but I just can't remember', went on to ludicrously claim that some of the hunters might just be working class poverty line schmos (with the means to buy and keep a horse), goes on to further argue that farmers can't possibly keep their livestock safe (build a better f***ing fence; if your infrastructure doesn't support your ambition properly then that's your fault), proceeds to suggest that there is no humane way to control foxes (protip: deer stalkers in Scotland are expert marksmen, not just locals with a 12-bore who like to kill stuff).

Also doesn't acknowledge that it's illegal to set snares and not check them daily, and I have seen any number of foxes which have died pitiful and lonely and horrific deaths trapped in snares which haven't been checked for months.  I haven't got a lot of time for farmers who cry hard up, alas.  The rest of us don't get away with flouting laws because to observe them would be expensive and/or inconvenient, so why should they?

Pathetic pro-hunting rich kid claptrap, in summary.
« Last Edit: Monday 20 July 2015, 08:12:14 PM by OpenC »