Author Topic: Your Pet Hates  (Read 339308 times)

Disco

• Me reading your posts
Re: Your Pet Hates
« Reply #10700 on: Friday 17 February 2017, 04:01:06 PM »
The pluralisation of "Indian" / "Italian" when used in the context of  'going out for a...'

« Reply #10701 on: Friday 17 February 2017, 04:03:16 PM »
:lol:

My nanna goes for double and say 'ayetalians'
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Worst Chat Poster 2016
Most Boring/Repetitive/Deteriorated/Repetitive Poster 2016

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #10702 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 06:51:48 AM »
I would have said it's more an implied possessive than a pluralisation, if that helps any

« Reply #10703 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 07:09:59 AM »
What is it with Ayetalians man, I have a few family members that say it too.

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #10704 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
Double barrelled first names. :anguish:
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • Pizza Life.
« Reply #10705 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:13:50 PM »

I deal with a lady through work who has double barrelled first and surnames e.g. Alison-Sue Smithers-Jones. :anguish:

« Reply #10706 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
Tell her her initials spell ASS.

Jill

• Pizza Life.
« Reply #10707 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
:lol: I made the name up. I obviously have ASS on my brain.

« Reply #10708 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:33:52 PM »

Erm Mrs B has one of them  :lol:

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #10709 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:39:27 PM »

Some of them work, and roll of the tongue quite easily.  It's one of the kid's mates.  Sarah-Rose.  I just call her Sarah, and got told off for not saying the whole thing.  :lol:
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

« Reply #10710 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:51:17 PM »

Some of them work, and roll of the tongue quite easily.  It's one of the kid's mates.  Sarah-Rose.  I just call her Sarah, and got told off for not saying the whole thing.  :lol:

Whoa too close  :lol:

Must admit i use only the first part as well, i only use the second part if i'm being sarcastic about anything  :lol:
« Last Edit: Saturday 18 February 2017, 04:38:49 PM by Bimpy474 »

Jill

• Pizza Life.
« Reply #10711 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
I'm going to my mam's for dinner today and arranged with my sister that I'd get the 11.25am bus. Of course I'm still in my pyjamas at 10.55am showing no signs of getting ready and moving.

Yet if we were having dinner later and I didn't have to leave until say 3pm, I know I'd be up, washed and dressed by about 9.30am and bored out of my skull.

So frustrating. :angry:

« Reply #10712 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 11:23:03 AM »
Still online at 11.23 I see, Jill? :lol:

Jill

• Pizza Life.
« Reply #10713 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
:lol: I've made it out of the house.

« Reply #10714 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 07:31:51 PM »
Ridiculous tv advert strap line Vision Express "Look after your eyes and they will last you a lifetime"

f*** that I want my eyes to work long after I die, especially as I've requsted to be stuffed and sat on the end of the couch after I've met my maker.

Inferior Acuña

• (Grant) Geordie in Chicago
« Reply #10715 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
The pluralisation of "Indian" / "Italian" when used in the context of  'going out for a...'

Never heard that like.

But been pointed out to me by various non-British English speakers that they find the way we just say "an Italian" without "meal" odd. My Indian mate found it particularly disconcerting when said "I'm going for an Indian".

« Reply #10716 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 12:54:58 PM »

Never heard that like.

But been pointed out to me by various non-British English speakers that they find the way we just say "an Italian" without "meal" odd. My Indian mate found it particularly disconcerting when said "I'm going for an Indian".

It's the added 'an' rather than the lack of 'meal' for me. If you said 'I'm going for Indian' then nobody would think twice.

Darth Crooks

• Interview request Prime Minister...
« Reply #10717 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 01:18:22 PM »

Never heard that like.

« Reply #10718 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 01:30:33 PM »
I never knew until recently that that type of "Indian" ^^ was referred to as Indian just because Columbus was a daft c*** and thought he was in India/Indonesia. I always assumed there was something more nuanced to it.
Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #10719 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
Same reason for the West Indies, no?

« Reply #10720 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deuce

• Book Wanker
« Reply #10721 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 03:35:37 PM »
Yeah, more or less. So-called to distinguish it from the East Indies, i.e. Southeast Asia.

B-more Mag

• Back to eastern Tennessee
« Reply #10722 on: Wednesday 22 February 2017, 03:43:46 PM »

« Reply #10723 on: Wednesday 22 February 2017, 03:46:16 PM »
that whale is pretty cute tho m8

« Reply #10724 on: Wednesday 22 February 2017, 06:17:53 PM »
When bits of rice get stuck on the re-sealable tab.