The Corpse Exhibition – Hassan Blasim
1 (14.3%)
Slade House – David Mitchell
0 (0%)
The Little Red Chairs – Edna O’Brien
1 (14.3%)
On Black Sisters’ Street – Chika Unigwe
0 (0%)
Not in club, won't read. Voted anyway - You, a dick.
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Sunday 26 February 2017, 06:38:15 PM

Author Topic: N-O Book Club - March - Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks  (Read 57293 times)

Re: N-O Book Club?
« Reply #2625 on: Tuesday 7 February 2017, 09:05:50 AM »
Ready Player One.
What a nostalgia fest man.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

• NUFC54
  • Soon
« Reply #2626 on: Tuesday 7 February 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
Ready Player One.
What a nostalgia fest man.
I got told it was a must read, so gave it a go, and as someone who doesn't often read books, it really f***ing good like, I don't ever want to put the book down. :lol:
My name is 54, and this is my favourite forum on the internet.

Deuce

• Book Wanker
« Reply #2627 on: Tuesday 14 February 2017, 06:48:04 PM »
Shall we prepare for March?

« Reply #2628 on: Tuesday 14 February 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
:lol: Who's been reading? If you've got s*** to rec I'll put you in the wheel and we'll go from there. I'm essentially illiterate again so I can't rec s***.

Troll

• Book Wanker
« Reply #2629 on: Tuesday 14 February 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
I don't think 54 and Froggy should be allowed to take part until they've read Worm.

Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • L'appel du vide.
« Reply #2630 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 08:57:12 AM »
I'm reading at the moment but I'm sure I can finish by March. Not that I have any suggestions on what to read. :lol:

« Reply #2631 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
Spin the wheel.  Let's get something in place for March eh?

« Reply #2632 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
:lol: It's your month, Hose. Do you, man.

Re: N-O Book Club - Toon Hoser's month
« Reply #2633 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 03:28:40 PM »
I feel I'm always nominating books for this.   :lol:  Could someone else do the honours?  Unless you want a slate of non-fiction that's on my to-read pile.

Jill

• L'appel du vide.
« Reply #2634 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 05:27:50 PM »
Just had to remind myself of what Hoser picked previously. Blind Assassin and that Russian one. 1-1 this will be the tie breaker.

« Reply #2635 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
I feel I'm always nominating books for this.   :lol:  Could someone else do the honours?  Unless you want a slate of non-fiction that's on my to-read pile.

:lol: Fiction would be preferred. I think you might be the only one among us still reading.

« Reply #2636 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 06:22:04 PM »
Looking forward to this  :D

Jill

• L'appel du vide.
« Reply #2637 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 06:22:48 PM »
I'm reading The Games by James Patterson which was free from someone my lad works with and is a thriller type thing based around the Brazil World Cup which was basically too Jill for me to pass up.

Beyond that..... :yao:

« Reply #2638 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 06:24:37 PM »
I'm reading The Games by James Patterson which was free from someone my lad works with and is a thriller type thing based around the Brazil World Cup which was basically too Jill for me to pass up.

:lol: Sounds like a Steve Bruce book.

Deuce

• Book Wanker
« Reply #2639 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 06:39:32 PM »
I will be damned if I have to read a James Patterson book :lol:

Jill

• L'appel du vide.
« Reply #2640 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 07:07:58 PM »
I'm not suggesting it. :lol: That's just what I have to get through before this kicks off.

Troll

• Book Wanker
« Reply #2641 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 07:50:26 PM »

:lol:  We should actually read a Steve Bruce book.

« Reply #2642 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 08:01:15 PM »

:lol: Y'all motherfuckers show an uptick in sales of Steve Bruce books from Newcastle fans and he'll f*** around and become the manager after Rafa goes to Arsenal.

« Reply #2643 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 08:12:46 PM »

:lol: Y'all motherfuckers show an uptick in sales of Steve Bruce books from Newcastle fans and he'll f*** around and become the manager after Rafa goes to Arsenal.

Are these books widely available?  What does he write about?

Troll

• Book Wanker
« Reply #2644 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 08:17:54 PM »

:lol: You need to read this:

http://shocko.info/words/2015/7/16/striker-by-steve-bruce-the-full-review

and this:

http://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

and this:

http://thesetpieces.com/features/defender-steve-bruce-review/

« Reply #2645 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 09:10:27 PM »

:lol: You need to read this:

http://shocko.info/words/2015/7/16/striker-by-steve-bruce-the-full-review

and this:

http://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

and this:

http://thesetpieces.com/features/defender-steve-bruce-review/

The actual Steve Bruce football manager wrote these?  :lol:

They sound brilliant especially Striker!, but impossible to find.

« Reply #2646 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
OK, here are some suggestions.  No overarching theme, just some books I've got sitting around.  If no interest, then spin the damn wheel.   :lol:

Feersum Endjinn – Iain M. Banks (1994, 311 pp.)

In a world where one can live multiple lives, Count Alandre Sessine VIII has survived seven times and is down to his last, leaving him one final shot at finding his killer. His only clues point to a conspiracy that reaches far beyond his own murder, and survival lies in discovering other fugitives who know the truth about the ultimate weapon of chaos and salvation.

The book is set on a far future Earth where the uploading of mindstates into a world-spanning computer network is commonplace, allowing the dead to be easily reincarnated, a set number of times, first physically and then virtually within the crypt. The crypt has become increasingly chaotic, causing much concern within society. The world is in crisis as the solar system is slowly drifting into an interstellar molecular cloud ("the Encroachment"), which will eventually dim and then destroy the Sun, ending life on Earth.

The Corpse Exhibition – Hassan Blasim (2014, 196 pp.)

This blistering debut by "perhaps the best writer of Arabic fiction alive” (The Guardian) is the first major literary work about the Iraq War from an Iraqi perspective. Showing us the war as we have never seen it before, here is a world not only of soldiers and assassins, hostages and car bombers, refugees and terrorists, but also of madmen and prophets, angels and djinni, sorcerers and spirits.

Blending shocking realism with flights of fantasy, The Corpse Exhibition offers us a pageant of horrors, as haunting as the photos of Abu Ghraib and as difficult to look away from, but shot through with a gallows humor that yields an unflinching comedy of the macabre. Gripping and hallucinatory, this is a new kind of storytelling forged in the crucible of war.

Slade House – David Mitchell (2015, 238 pp.)

Down the road from a working-class British pub, along the brick wall of a narrow alley, if the conditions are exactly right, you’ll find the entrance to Slade House. A stranger will greet you by name and invite you inside. At first, you won’t want to leave. Later, you’ll find that you can’t. Every nine years, the house’s residents—an odd brother and sister—extend a unique invitation to someone who’s different or lonely: a precocious teenager, a recently divorced policeman, a shy college student. But what really goes on inside Slade House? For those who find out, it’s already too late. . . .

Spanning five decades, from the last days of the 1970s to the present, leaping genres, and barreling toward an astonishing conclusion, this intricately woven novel will pull you into a reality-warping new vision of the haunted house story—as only David Mitchell could imagine it.

The Little Red Chairs – Edna O’Brien (2016, 299 pp.)

A woman discovers that the foreigner she thinks will redeem her life is a notorious war criminal.

Vlad, a stranger from the Balkans masquerading as a faith healer, settles in a small Irish village where the locals fall under his spell. One woman, Fidelma McBride, becomes so enamored that she begs him for a child. All that world is shattered when Vlad is arrested, and his identity as a war criminal is revealed.

Fidelma, disgraced, flees to England and seeks work among the other migrants displaced by wars and persecution. But it is not until she confronts him – her nemesis – that her physical and emotional journey reaches its breathtaking climax.

On Black Sisters’ Street – Chika Unigwe (2007, 258 pp.)

Four very different women have made their way from Africa to Brussels. They have come to claim for themselves the riches they believe Europe promises but when Sisi, the most enigmatic of the women, is murdered, their already fragile world is shattered.

Drawn together by tragedy, the remaining three women - Joyce, a great beauty whose life has been destroyed by war; Ama, whose dark moods manifest a past injustice; Efe, whose efforts to earn her keep are motivated by a particular zeal - slowly begin to share their stories. They are stories of terror, of displacement, of love, and of a sinister man called Dele.

Deuce

• Book Wanker
« Reply #2647 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 05:54:40 PM »
'Corpse Exhibition' sounds real good.

Jill

• L'appel du vide.
« Reply #2648 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
I like all of those suggestions so I'm struggling to decide. :undecided:

« Reply #2649 on: Saturday 25 February 2017, 03:30:57 PM »
:lol: Two votes. We're really cooking with gas here, huh.