Our Summer Transfer Business

Minhosa

Anyone else just massively underwhelmed with what we've done so far and also what we appear to be doing/players we're linked with?

Whilst I get that every signing is a risk, I've got doubts already about De Jong and what he'll mean for our style of play/whether he'll fit.

With the departure of Debuchy and possibly Yanga, I'd honestly have expected us to be signing upwards of another 5 players (2 x forwards, 1 x winger, minimum of 1 x CB and I'd have expected us to be in the market for a good LB to give Santon some competition).

I've not done the sums but it seems to be me, with last seasons departures and adding in Debuchy et al, we'll break even again at worst. Banking the TV money in the meantime so, in effect, finishing up.

Even with the obvious Ashley factor, I think the lack of activity so far is a massive concern.

I'm pretty happy with the transfers so far. One in for the future, captain of Ajax, highly rated player from France, we seem close to getting a Debuchy replacement and a striker. It's a damn sight better than I was expecting at this stage that's for sure.

Purely in terms of the players you're getting in, De Jong and Cabella would strike me as 2 good additions.

For all the shite Ashley has brought to the club, you're still clearly an attractive proposition for one reason or another.

I'm pretty happy with the transfers so far. One in for the future, captain of Ajax, highly rated player from France, we seem close to getting a Debuchy replacement and a striker. It's a damn sight better than I was expecting at this stage that's for sure.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable or on an NUFC downer but I'd have hoped for far more links/activity to be quite honest.

De Jong seems a massive risk to me. I think we'll carry him for many games.

I don't know a lot about de Jong and/or Cabella but I guess they're the Cabaye replacement which seems a decent trade as they're allegedly different types of players so it's more options.

Midfield we're looking OK, the rest of the squad though :anguish: plus we've a manager who struggles to get the best out of flaky attacking players, I suspect Perez, Cabella and de Jong all fall in to this category.

Also, I really thought we'd need to be signing a minimum of 7 first 16 players this summer.

As unrealistic as that perhaps was/is.

Cabaye replacement, Shola replacement, Debuchy replacement, Yanga replacement, HBA replacement, Perch replacement, Obertan replacement, Marveaux replacement and then replacements for all the kids that aren't good enough..........Sammy, Ferguson, Dummett etc etc etc.

That's without taking into account the widely held view that Williamson, amongst others, isn't good enough.

I don't know a lot about de Jong and/or Cabella but I guess they're the Cabaye replacement which seems a decent trade as they're allegedly different types of players so it's more options.

Midfield we're looking OK, the rest of the squad though :anguish: plus we've a manager who struggles to get the best out of flaky attacking players, I suspect Perez, Cabella and de Jong all fall in to this category.

Certainly in agreement with this. For all the Cabella love, we've not exactly excelled at developing all this french talent we buy on the cheap.

Cabaye really didn't improve by much of a margin (if any) and then you've got the fucking disasters of HBA, Mbiwa, Marv etc.

For that reason I'm not exactly convinced Cabella will be Ginola Mk11 under this dickhead of a manager and shite coaching team.

We were never gonna sign that many first team players. If we get in a replacement for Debuchy and at least one proper, first-choice striker (but really we need two) (and also keep Yanga) then it'll have been better than I expected. The defence is still poor but honestly that was never going to be a priority when we were so lacking in midfield creativity and totally bereft of striking options.

What we have signed so far is the absolute minimum I would expect from this window. Happy enough quality wise though.

I am more worried about the areas we seem to be targeting though. Yes, we need a striker and a fairly decent one at that - and obviously we will be need a replacement RB as well. But that would still leave a squad that leaked a shit ton of goals in the last 16 months as well as a real lack of genuine width.

As it stands tonight, assuming their is no hiccups as far as Cabella goes; we still need:

- CB

- RB

- ST

- Wide player

We were never gonna sign that many first team players. If we get in a replacement for Debuchy and at least one proper, first-choice striker (but really we need two) (and also keep Yanga) then it'll have been better than I expected. The defence is still poor but honestly that was never going to be a priority when we were so lacking in midfield creativity and totally bereft of striking options.

It's been a massively thin squad for the past two seasons though AND we've lost proven first team bodies. Is it that demanding to expect 7 replacements for 9ish first teamers leaving an already short squad?

A good start has been made, but there's a load of work to be done and with almost every sale adds another needed arrival.

Would like to see the back of Jonas, Obertan & Marveux (feel for him but he's not needed and is on a big wage) next, should free up some space in terms of wages and bring in another wide man.

We are still short a main striker and need a Debuchy replacement, anything else is a bonus.

Ideally I'd like to see 4 new centre backs come in, a proper LB who can defend, another RB alongside Debuchy's replacement, a young keeper and two strikers (one with height and one with pace)

It's been a massively thin squad for the past two seasons though AND we've lost proven first team bodies. Is it that demanding to expect 7 replacements for 9ish first teamers leaving an already short squad?

9ish first teamers leaving?

I'm fairly happy thus far BUT if we don't get 2 strikers, a RB and a CB in, then we'll struggle at times.

Goals are #1.

A RB is obvious, in place of Debuchy.

and a CB is needed, even though I feel we'll ignore this and hope we don't get any defensive injuries... I wouldn't be too worried if Mbiwa wasn't leaving.

They're half way there for me, still plenty to do but it's a promising start.

Happy with the incomings so far and actually optimistic there will be a couple more (though probably 1-2 shy of what we should have as per).

However, as long as Pardew continues to cast his depressing shadow over this place with things like MYM possibly being sold for no good reason then I'll forever be underwhelmed/annoyed.

Still work to do. I'm over the moon with Cabella (assuming nothing goes wrong). De Jong is Cabaye's replacement in my opinion. We still need at least 1 more quality forward and 1 more back up forward and to replace anyone else who goes (Debuchy, and Mbwia).

I'm glad that we have replied squad players (Gosling) instead of just letting them and forgetting about it like we usually do.

A lot of work to go but I'm certainly encouraged. These days it's rare that I take much attention to who we are linked with because I know how secretive the club can be regarding who is and isn't target and how far along in negotiations we are. It's usually from the other club where the leaks are.

Factoring in Cabella and assuming Janmaat gets over the line, this summer has been more or less in line with my expectations, if not slightly better. If they can sign a competent goal scorer and a centre-half, maybe a poor, mismanaged side will stay poor and not get worse. :dontknow: