Author Topic: The Canada Thread, Eh?  (Read 22315 times)

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
Re: The Canada Thread, Eh?
« Reply #500 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 01:38:40 AM »
Never been to the 'Peg, but everyone I've met from there are top grade people. My best mate was just there for a music festival and spoke on a few panels. He really enjoyed his visit and the music!

Stifler

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #501 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 10:06:29 AM »
I've just been sent an invite to apply for a work permit under the IEC.

Well in! When are you coming over? Wait until May, the weather has been depressing most of the winter.
It's going to be a little while yet, I still need to get some more money. I finish uni in may, so I was thinking of just doing loads of overtime during the summer and save up as much as I can. Once I'm granted a work permit I have a year before I have to activate it, so I might take the whole year just to save as much as I can.

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #502 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 12:51:08 AM »
Our dollar is s***, so you'll see a nice return when you exchange your sterling over.

neesy111

• Prontonise
« Reply #503 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
Our dollar is s***, so you'll see a nice return when you exchange your sterling over.

Brexit. :yao:

Stifler

• Heavy User of Shoes
« Reply #504 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
Not at the minute, it's about $1.50 for every £1, which is the lowest it has been for years.

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #505 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 07:41:18 PM »
Not at the minute, it's about $1.50 for every £1, which is the lowest it has been for years.

WAT? That's still decent, man! :lol:

« Reply #506 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 08:05:28 PM »

WAT? That's still decent, man! :lol:

Used to be almost $2 to £1, but it's been a while aye.

Stifler

• Heavy User of Shoes
« Reply #507 on: Friday 17 February 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
It is still the lowest it has been for years. When you are dealing with the amount of money I need to take over it takes a big hit on your funds, we arn't talking about losing $50-$100 holiday spending money.

As soon as I finish my uni in May I'm just going to be doing as much work as possible in order to save as much as I can. My flat, phone contract, etc all end in September and I have a couple of hospital appointments in early November, so it's not financially worthwhile going before then. So I'll be looking to go over at the end of the year, early next year. Closer to the time I'll be asking people on here on the off chance that they know of any jobs and cheap flats/flatshares going.

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #508 on: Friday 17 February 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
It is still the lowest it has been for years. When you are dealing with the amount of money I need to take over it takes a big hit on your funds, we arn't talking about losing $50-$100 holiday spending money.

As soon as I finish my uni in May I'm just going to be doing as much work as possible in order to save as much as I can. My flat, phone contract, etc all end in September and I have a couple of hospital appointments in early November, so it's not financially worthwhile going before then. So I'll be looking to go over at the end of the year, early next year. Closer to the time I'll be asking people on here on the off chance that they know of any jobs and cheap flats/flatshares going.

Where are you going on Holiday? :lol: You're still gaining money for nowt!

Planning on living in Toronto? It's expensive as f*** here, so I see why you want those extra dollars. Job growth is good here, lot's of work to be had in tech, start ups/product development, etc. I see tons of jobs for coders of all varieties. UI/UX designers are in demand as well.

Stifler

• Heavy User of Shoes
« Reply #509 on: Friday 17 February 2017, 11:29:12 PM »

Where are you going on Holiday? :lol: You're still gaining money for nowt!

Planning on living in Toronto? It's expensive as f*** here, so I see why you want those extra dollars. Job growth is good here, lot's of work to be had in tech, start ups/product development, etc. I see tons of jobs for coders of all varieties. UI/UX designers are in demand as well.
Nah, I don't want to live in Toronto, probably in the GTA area though. Ideally I'd like to be near my family in Hamilton, though Bunac have jobs North in Blue mountains.

It's all up in the air though, basically see what's about, where I can go etc.

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #510 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 01:04:11 AM »
I've got vacation property in Collingwood. Wish I could live up there full time and definetly work up there if you can get something.

Stifler

• Heavy User of Shoes
« Reply #511 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 01:47:47 AM »
I've got vacation property in Collingwood. Wish I could live up there full time and definetly work up there if you can get something.
It's option I am thinking of. The only problem is most jobs up there are seasonal, I'd be looking for something more long term, ideally I need to be eligible for OHIP.

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #512 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:11:20 AM »
I'm sure you could find trade work up there year round. There's a few breweries as well.

« Reply #513 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
VISA needing t*** of a country

Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

« Reply #514 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 01:48:45 PM »

:lol: I got my eta the other week. Weirdly, I don't need one to head out because I'm driving to Toronto, but as I'm flying back then I've got to sign up.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

« Reply #515 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
Anyone looking for a refugee status sponsor?   :lol:

B-more Mag

• Lacelot Link, secret chimp
« Reply #516 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
 :lol: Forty-something, protestant-raised, straight, white male and family seek asylum. Not sure that's got legs.

« Reply #517 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
Never been to the 'Peg, but everyone I've met from there are top grade people. My best mate was just there for a music festival and spoke on a few panels. He really enjoyed his visit and the music!

The 'Peg is pretty decent. Good town with an indy vibe, and some cracking places very close by.

« Reply #518 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 04:29:35 PM »

:lol: I got my eta the other week. Weirdly, I don't need one to head out because I'm driving to Toronto, but as I'm flying back then I've got to sign up.

Would have been great to know before the gate like. Stupid AA.

Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #519 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
Wait, what, you need a VISA even if your passport is in the Commonwealth?

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #520 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 05:52:11 PM »

The 'Peg is pretty decent. Good town with an indy vibe, and some cracking places very close by.

So I hear!

TRC

• WASRKOOK
« Reply #521 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 05:55:13 PM »

Would have been great to know before the gate like. Stupid AA.

Did they send you back to the states?

« Reply #522 on: Wednesday 1 March 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
Kelly Knight Craft to be new U.S. ambassador to Canada, Bloomberg reports
Craft is a known Republican activist and fundraiser. She was a senior adviser to the U.S. ambassador to the UN during the George W. Bush presidency.

« Reply #523 on: Wednesday 1 March 2017, 05:40:31 PM »
Wait, what, you need a VISA even if your passport is in the Commonwealth?

Sort of. Not a VISA but an "electronic Travel Authorization". It only costs $7, easy application online, automatically applied to your passport.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

We're flying back to Blighty via Toronto this month, but I only found out about it completely by luck. They introduced it for Brits some time last year IIRC. One of us was online checking our flights or something, and it came up. Good job I found out before I went throught the rectal probes etc - rough on SEMTEX.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Deuce

• Book Wanker
« Reply #524 on: Thursday 2 March 2017, 01:50:05 AM »
Kelly Knight Craft to be new U.S. ambassador to Canada, Bloomberg reports
Craft is a known Republican activist and fundraiser. She was a senior adviser to the U.S. ambassador to the UN during the George W. Bush presidency.

:lol: continuing the proud American diplomatic tradition of filling ambassadorial posts wth major campaign donors. All things considered, it's a massive breath of fresh air.