The Return of Terraces ("safe standing")?

Guest pricedoutoftoon

Still find it hard to believe PL football clubs will willingly spend large amounts of money (re)altering their crowds in effort to charge mainly undesirable (don't spend money in the club shop, hotdogs for kids, etc) fans less money to turn up week in/week out.

Would the capacity of any given converted area not increase? Or would H&S make sure it was no different?

If the latter...then yeh, it's not going to happen.

In theory it would I guess, just don't see why many football clubs would bother. Unecessary expense and all that especially given the steps ourselves and some others have made to make everywhere family friendly and disband singing/youth areas of a slightly similar nature.

Would love it to happen though, anything which makes PL football cheaper can only be a good thing.

I don't think it needs changing at all. Negative connotations, really?

Pretty much yeah, that's the reason why you get Liverpool fans and politicians saying this idea is a disgrace. They hear that standing is being brought back and instantly point to Hillsborough. Might sound pedantic but the minority who are against the idea of safe standing are against it due to ignorance, there's a huge difference between what terraces were and the safe standing models being suggested.

Is that the politically correct term, now? :lol:

"Terraces" all the way for me. Conjures up some fantastic memories. Everyone jumping around etc.

Cheers :thup:

I'd prefer terraces as well, but safe standing is the safer, more sensible way forward. There's basically no sound argument against it, imo.

I'd love for them to come back, not that I've ever experienced it beyond standing at away games etc. The lessons learnt from the likes of Hillsborough should be used for progress, not to maintain a climate of fear forever more. It was a long time ago now, the health and safety standards of then and now aren't even comparable.

Sadly I don't think it'll be done any time soon.

I don't think it needs changing at all. Negative connotations, really?

Pretty much yeah, that's the reason why you get Liverpool fans and politicians saying this idea is a disgrace. They hear that standing is being brought back and instantly point to Hillsborough. Might sound pedantic but the minority who are against the idea of safe standing are against it due to ignorance, there's a huge difference between what terraces were and the safe standing models being suggested.

Is that the politically correct term, now? :lol:

"Terraces" all the way for me. Conjures up some fantastic memories. Everyone jumping around etc.

Cheers :thup:

I'd prefer terraces as well, but safe standing is the safer, more sensible way forward. There's basically no sound argument against it, imo.

Hillsborough wasn't caused by standing, it was caused by too many people in a small area and nowhere for them to go because of fences to both sides and to the front.

I'd love for them to come back, not that I've ever experienced it beyond standing at away games etc. The lessons learnt from the likes of Hillsborough should be used for progress, not to maintain a climate of fear forever more. It was a long time ago now, the health and safety standards of then and now aren't even comparable.

This is true Dave - I have stood many times at a packed SJP/Gallowgate/Leazes End and never once did I feel in danger, even during the Fairs Cup Final in 1969 when we could sway down several terraces after a goal was scored. Hillsborough should not have been used to wipe out standing and why should the views of one club - Liverpool - be allowed to dictate to the rest of football?  I have my own views about what happened there and isn't it interesting that Liverpool afficionados, like the BBC etc, never mention their fans' part in the debacle v Juventus in 1985 which was 4 years prior to Hillsborough...? If that had been NUFC fans, we'd never have heard the last of it - some in the media still drag up the pitch invasion v Forest during the FA Cup tie in 1974 even though nobody was seriously injured, as a club to beat NUFC fans with...

Unfortunately, the world is now run for the benefit of Human Rights Lawyers and those who make a living chasing ambulances to sign up damages claimants so they clubs are unlikely to want standing areas returned, just in case.....

This is true Dave - I have stood many times at a packed SJP/Gallowgate/Leazes End and never once did I feel in danger, even during the Fairs Cup Final in 1969 when we could sway down several terraces after a goal was scored. Hillsborough should not have been used to wipe out standing and why should the views of one club - Liverpool - be allowed to dictate to the rest of football?  I have my own views about what happened there and isn't it interesting that Liverpool afficionados, like the BBC etc, never mention their fans' part in the debacle v Juventus in 1985 which was 4 years prior to Hillsborough...? If that had been NUFC fans, we'd never have heard the last of it - some in the media still drag up the pitch invasion v Forest during the FA Cup tie in 1974 even though nobody was seriously injured, as a club to beat NUFC fans with...

Unfortunately, the world is now run for the benefit of Human Rights Lawyers and those who make a living chasing ambulances to sign up damages claimants so they clubs are unlikely to want standing areas returned, just in case.....

I broadly agree, but you're being a bit paranoid about the 1974 pitch invasion :lol:. I think that very few, if any, younger non-Newcastle United fans will have heard of it, whereas many will know about Heysel. Not that there isn't a solid pro-Liverpool bias in the media in general.

It's sad that even someone as long-standing a supporter as Dave can say that he hasn't stood at St James' Park. We're heading towards a time when two whole generations will be able to say that, and I think it's a real pity. It was a completely different experience, and I feel incredibly lucky to have experienced it. We should be able to do so again.

they'd be opening themselves up to a  mass of litigation - anyone being knocked over in a standing section would sue these days

Has that happened in Germany?

I can't see any more folk falling in a safe standing section than currently fall over the seat in front etc. In fact in some respects safe standing is actually safer as there's a rail in front of every row.

I'm old enough to remember standing at SJP and to be honest, the sooner it returns the better.

they'd be opening themselves up to a  mass of litigation - anyone being knocked over in a standing section would sue these days

More likely to be knocked over celebrating a goal in a seated area due to the lack of rails between rows. Who hasn't ended up on their arse once or twice in a celebratory melee?

I think it is funny that most of the clamoring for this comes from people who weren't old enough to remember standing areas prior to the current rules. Those areas were terrible, shitholes, and just not pleasant at all. If anyone would rather have the old leaves end back again, they are freakin crazy. On big games too, when things got busy, standing in that melee of humanity was just not fun, especially on hot days, the gallowgate corner and scoreboard areas full of a lot of undesirables, you often felt for your safety. I remember almost passing out during the 7-1 leicester, last game on the promotion season. There were just too many people.

I know these new seating areas will be far removed for those old one, and regulations will be tighter on numbers, but to be honest I have very little desire to see them return, having said that my match going days are long gone now so my opinion means fuck all.

I think it is funny that most of the clamoring for this comes from people who weren't old enough to remember standing areas prior to the current rules. Those areas were terrible, shitholes, and just not pleasant at all. If anyone would rather have the old leaves end back again, they are freakin crazy. On big games too, when things got busy, standing in that melee of humanity was just not fun, especially on hot days, the gallowgate corner and scoreboard areas full of a lot of undesirables, you often felt for your safety. I remember almost passing out during the 7-1 leicester, last game on the promotion season. There were just too many people.

I know these new seating areas will be far removed for those old one, and regulations will be tighter on numbers, but to be honest I have very little desire to see them return, having said that my match going days are long gone now so my opinion means f*** all.

I would love to have standing back and I have been going long enough to have stood in the Popular and have never felt in any danger inside our ground.  The only time I felt in any danger was standing for cup tickets on Barrack Road in the early 70's and being crushed against the gates at the corner of the West Stand/ Leazes because we had to go through the Leazes turnstiles to buy tickets.

Works great in Gremany. Breen to a few Bundesliga games and the atmosphere in those areas are great, looks pretty decent as well :-) Most stadiums have standing areas, if not all of them. Also the away section is usually a standing area without any seats. The seats there is a waste of space anyway and it would increase number of away supporters for certain games. Worth a try in England!

When did the rule apply for all seated stadiums in England? 1995 or something?