Author Topic: The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Novels & Movie thread  (Read 43886 times)

LesPaul

• Book Wanker
  • Resident Star Wars Nut. Also Book w*****.
The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Novels & Movie thread
« on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
Seeing as Kaizero wants to go all double standards on people for going slightly off topic in the ASOIAF thread I've created this. It might fall terribly flat on its face but worth a try anyway.

Hopefully Mike won't ruin this one.

What do people read/are reading/recommend/think should be made into a film or TV series and so on.

I pretty much alternate between Star Wars novels, Game of Thrones and Wheel of Time. So there's plenty there to keep me going for awhile but I've been looking at a few other series to start reading. Mistborn looks good and so does that one that Froggy mentioned in the other thread.

Re: The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Novels & Movie thread
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 01:58:36 PM »
Isn't this just the Books and Movie thread?
I remember how the meaning of words began to change. I remember how different became dangerous.

LesPaul

• Book Wanker
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 02:00:27 PM »
Hmmm, I guess :lol:

EDIT: Saying that there's a comic thread for comics and movies and the book thread itself is generally just someoe asking for a history book or showing off what classic novel they're reading.

Close if NWOAT though.

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
Look at these f***ing nerds talking about nerd stuff. Nerds.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

LesPaul

• Book Wanker
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Look at these f***ing nerds talking about nerd stuff. Nerds.

:lol:

Inochi

• feels like you're being watched
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
f***ing stinks of BO in here, like.

LesPaul

• Book Wanker
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
f***ing stinks of BO in here, like.

Barack smells? Can we get IP to confirm this?

Northerngimp

• Show me what you've got!
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
Good thread, lets p*ss off the wannabe JLS crew

healthyaddiction

• Jenova's Witness
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 07:33:40 PM »
All of Brandon Sandersons stuff is excellent.  Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle is very good.  Raymond Feist is obviously also excellent.  My favourite trilogy is David Gemmill's last (the Troy Trilogy).

Really looking for ward to the Ender's Game film as I love the novel.  I really need to read more of them but never had.

« Reply #9 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
Where do I start with China Melville? Been on my list of authors to read for ages.

« Reply #10 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 08:03:52 PM »
Patrick Rothfus is an absolutely amazing writer, I would say that his novels are the best I've read in years. If you guys haven't read 'The Name of the Wind' and 'Wise Man's Fear' buy them today.

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 08:27:26 PM »
Canny thread this.

Just started The Name of the Wind today. :thup:
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

LesPaul

• Book Wanker
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:02:51 PM »
Yeah "The Name of the Wind" was the one Froggy mentioned. After reading the blurb in a book shop this morning I must say I'm interested.

Sanderson's Mistborn also looks interesting, I think the idea of a story where the hero fails might be a good way of doing the "hero's journey" but taking it in a different direction.

Sanderson does a podcast (along with some other people I've never heard of) about writing tips for aspiring authors called Writing Excuses. Even if you never plan to put pen to paper I think its interesting to learn how authors approach their writing.

B-more Mag

• Raconteur, bon vivant, man about town
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:05:15 PM »
Where do I start with China Melville? Been on my list of authors to read for ages.

Not really sure if it's the best place to start, as it's the only one of his I've read, but I really enjoyed The City and the City.

« Reply #14 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:08:06 PM »
hahgay.gif
Actually Kaizero. Beren's just a dick.

La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:08:51 PM »

Not really sure if it's the best place to start, as it's the only one of his I've read, but I really enjoyed The City and the City.

I'd say:

is the best place to start.

Anyone read Wool by Hugh Howey yet? Working my way through it. Its really cool.

healthyaddiction

• Jenova's Witness
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:15:49 PM »

I'd say:

is the best place to start.

Anyone read Wool by Hugh Howey yet? Working my way through it. Its really cool.

The one China Mieville that i've read is Railsea which was excellent.  I've been meaning to read Name of the Wind.  I also love the farseer and tawny man trilogies by Robin Hobb.

As for Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn trilogy was excellent.  I've read the first of his stormlight archive series and am looking forward to the release of the second.  Really good.

La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:17:45 PM »
Mistborn is almost perfect. I'd probably reccomend it ahead of any other fantasy series (yes, even LOTR). It would make a class film!

« Reply #18 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
Thanks guys

healthyaddiction

• Jenova's Witness
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:19:29 PM »
Mistborn is almost perfect. I'd probably reccomend it ahead of any other fantasy series (yes, even LOTR). It would make a class film!

His fight scenes in Mistborn are so well done, i'd love to see them on the big screen.

La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:23:52 PM »

His fight scenes in Mistborn are so well done, i'd love to see them on the big screen.

The magic system(s) are f***ing immense creations. It would be some matrix on steroids s***!

B-more Mag

• Raconteur, bon vivant, man about town
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:41:44 PM »

« Reply #22 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 09:51:16 PM »
Canny thread this.

Whoa, what the f*** happened to Monte Cristo?!

« Reply #23 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
For Sci-Fi have a look at Peter F Hamilton's books.  The Greg Mandel series is detective fiction set in nthe near(ish) future, the Night's Dawn trilogy is space opera with fantasy themes, the Commonwealth Saga/Void Trilogy are space opera with some detective themes, Fallen Dragon is straight sci-fi.  His most recent book Great North Road is another futuristic detective story set in Newcastle.

Alastair Reynolds' books are straight sci-fi, his Revelation Space series is (mostly) excellent.

For sci-fantasy have a look at the Deathstalker series of books.  They're quite silly but quite engrossing.

LesPaul

• Book Wanker
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 9 May 2013, 10:24:56 PM »
Canny thread this.

Whoa, what the f*** happened to Monte Cristo?!

Typical Mike, trying to usurp another thread.