Author Topic: Great North Run  (Read 12037 times)

Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • L'appel du vide.
Re: Great North Run 2013
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 7 August 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
s***. :lol:

Despite all my "oh I'll DEFINITELY train loads this year"... I've done one 10 mile run, a few 3-5 mile runs and that's it.

Dr Venkman

• Alreet pet?
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 7 August 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
It does come round bloody quickly doesn't it, I'd better do some prep!

ED209

• insano
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 7 August 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
Too corporate for me, too expensive, too many people getting in your way who start with a projected time of 1hr 20 when it should be 3hrs, too much expectation to raise a small fortune for charity to get a race number.
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

« Reply #28 on: Thursday 8 August 2013, 10:39:30 AM »
Too corporate for me, too expensive, too many people getting in your way who start with a projected time of 1hr 20 when it should be 3hrs, too much expectation to raise a small fortune for charity to get a race number.

Miserable sod!

ED209

• insano
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 8 August 2013, 11:00:53 AM »

Miserable sod!

Realist is probably the correct term, i would recommend the keswick half marathon, not too many people, well organised, and some fantastic views on the route. its a little bit harder than the great north cash generator though but not extreme.
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

« Reply #30 on: Thursday 8 August 2013, 11:34:18 AM »

Miserable sod!

i would recommend the keswick half marathon, not too many people, well organised, and some fantastic views on the route.

It's a different thing though isn't it, bit unfair to compare them like for like.

I've done little local trail races before and loved them, and done big mass participation 'cash generators' like the GNR and loved them. I don't think liking or recommending one has to be mutually exclusive of the other.

Jill

• L'appel du vide.
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 8 August 2013, 12:03:28 PM »

Miserable sod!

Realist is probably the correct term, i would recommend the keswick half marathon, not too many people, well organised, and some fantastic views on the route. its a little bit harder than the great north cash generator though but not extreme.

All depends what you're after. Personally I don't like running just for the enjoyment, but I find the GNR fantastic as a whole event and somehow I'm on my 3rd just because of the experience on the day.

« Reply #32 on: Monday 9 September 2013, 09:33:31 AM »
This weekend now. Anyone else doing it?

Jill

• L'appel du vide.
« Reply #33 on: Monday 9 September 2013, 12:05:01 PM »
This is my favourite week. Less training, more eating.

TheHoob

• Yiz junkies b******s ya.
« Reply #34 on: Monday 9 September 2013, 01:22:24 PM »
Soon  :scared:

« Reply #35 on: Monday 9 September 2013, 01:24:22 PM »
i'm doing this on Sunday. looking forward to it. only problem i can see is my knees. they were killing after the last run.

hopefully the weather'll be grand.

« Reply #36 on: Monday 9 September 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
Aww man, ive ran about 5 times.

Ian W

• plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #37 on: Monday 9 September 2013, 02:20:38 PM »

Miserable sod!

All depends what you're after. Personally I don't like running just for the enjoyment, but I find the GNR fantastic as a whole event and somehow I'm on my 3rd just because of the experience on the day.

I quite fancy doing the Kielder one, but I fear that might be a full marathon.

Jill

• L'appel du vide.
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 12 September 2013, 08:00:43 PM »
Carb-loading. :megusta:

« Reply #39 on: Thursday 12 September 2013, 09:18:34 PM »
I had to withdraw like for next year, moving down to London has turned me into a slob. Next year.
I really like Fenham Mag. Great guy and a very good poster.

Chrissy Bee

• Nee No Quarter
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 12 September 2013, 10:03:07 PM »
I've done 6.6 miles. I reckon I'll run the whole thing but be unable to move myself to work the next day.

« Reply #41 on: Thursday 12 September 2013, 10:28:54 PM »
pretty sure i havn't ran 13 miles if you add up all my practice runs together, i'm going to die :yao:
"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

ED209

• insano
« Reply #42 on: Friday 13 September 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
I am fed up with a friends constant facebook updates about how nervous they are for the run, its being going on for weeks and is now becoming a tidal wave of shyte. Thing is she has done it twice before so what the hell is there to be nervous about? She is a 3hrs plus runner too so not as if there is any kind of race going on.

Yes is quite challenging for the average person, but 20 updates a day for the last month is a bit over the top.

« Reply #43 on: Sunday 15 September 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
Good luck chaps and chapettes!
See you's at the side of the road.

Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 15 September 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
Good luck all

« Reply #45 on: Sunday 15 September 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
Mo is so f***ing good.
I really like Fenham Mag. Great guy and a very good poster.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 15 September 2013, 11:20:57 AM »
How are people tweeting doing this? Are they basically walking?

neesy111

• Prontonise
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 15 September 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
How are people tweeting doing this? Are they basically walking?

I've just seen Calukin tweet, so I'm thinking this?  You do get some people that basically walk it.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 15 September 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
There are a few people I follow that are tweeting, yeah.

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 15 September 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
Caulkin has serious twitter addiction problems tbf.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too