Author Topic: Daft questions Thread  (Read 586170 times)

Darth Crooks (+ 2 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
Re: Daft questions Thread
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
Is Barack taking part in Movember
Benitez will be gone before the end of October.

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
Clean your washing machine. You'll have mildew/mould in there.

It's really quite clean though, I can't believe that the tiny amount of dirt is causing the smell, it must be dirt that's out of sight.

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:25:46 PM »
My washing machine leaves clothes with a musty smell. I think it's a bit of a racist because it only does it to colours, (washed at 40 degrees) but not whites (60 degrees). Anyway, I've read that vinegar might sort it out, but I've only got malt vinegar (or balsamic  :hom:), so should I use that, or go and buy some white vinegar instead? I guess it'd rinse out eventually either way, but I don't really want to have my clothes smelling like a chip-shop.

What are you washing with? Liquid, gel, powder?

Liquid.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:29:11 PM »

Aye...pretty much.

You should put your machine on the hottest wash (empty) at least once a month. They're mancky, germ harbouring things.

Do you need to bother with soda crystals or whatever, or will this do?

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
There's your answer. The best liquid isn't as good as the cheapest unbranded powder. I've heard my Dad give this spiel to customers a hundred times (he fixes washing machines).

At 60 degrees it's quite possibly dissolving well and so the issue doesn't exist, but when you're washing at cooler temperatures it's hanging about and coating your clothes and machine in residue. This causes the foisty smell.

Switch to a good powder (he always recommends Persil Original Non-Bio as it has a touch of bleach in it) and take POOT's advice about running a 90 degree service wash monthly, he's spot on with that.

In the short-term you might even want to blast a few 90 degree washes through with the powder in, including teatowels or old towels that could survive such a hot wash. If you have stuff in when you do it the hot soapy water will be splashed around the drum a lot better and will begin to remove a lot of the residue that has undoubtedly built up in the parts of the drum you can't see.

This might not fix it instantly as there's quite probably a fair bit of build-up inside of the drum, but it'll have it totally fettled within weeks.

« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:35:22 PM »

It's really quite clean though, I can't believe that the tiny amount of dirt is causing the smell, it must be dirt that's out of sight.

A lot can build up in the space between the drawer and the drum, and then obviously from the pipes leading out of the drum but that shouldn't be as much of a problem.
I remember how the meaning of words began to change. I remember how different became dangerous.

« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:36:59 PM »
While I'm on, he does reckon there's something to be said for using the proper "washing machine cleaner" (or soda crystals) if your machine is at the point where it has a constant foul smell or signs of mould and mildew, but typically you can get away without them.

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
There's your answer. The best liquid isn't as good as the cheapest unbranded powder. I've heard my Dad give this spiel to customers a hundred times (he fixes washing machines).

At 60 degrees it's quite possibly dissolving well and so the issue doesn't exist, but when you're washing at cooler temperatures it's hanging about and coating your clothes and machine in residue. This causes the foisty smell.

Switch to a good powder (he always recommends Persil Original Non-Bio as it has a touch of bleach in it) and take POOT's advice about running a 90 degree service wash monthly, he's spot on with that.

In the short-term you might even want to blast a few 90 degree washes through with the powder in, including teatowels or old towels that could survive such a hot wash. If you have stuff in when you do it the hot soapy water will be splashed around the drum a lot better and will begin to remove a lot of the residue that has undoubtedly built up in the parts of the drum you can't see.

This might not fix it instantly as there's quite probably a fair bit of build-up inside of the drum, but it'll have it totally fettled within weeks.

Cheers, I'll switch to powder.

Only problem with the cleaning is 60 degrees is as hot as it gets. :(

What do you reckon to the vinegar idea?

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:38:12 PM »
While I'm on, he does reckon there's something to be said for using the proper "washing machine cleaner" (or soda crystals) if your machine is at the point where it has a constant foul smell or signs of mould and mildew, but typically you can get away without them.

Cheers. :thup:

Wife seems to think powder is more likely to clog it up than liquid, this is wrong then?

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 07:40:01 PM »

A lot can build up in the space between the drawer and the drum, and then obviously from the pipes leading out of the drum but that shouldn't be as much of a problem.

There's no drawer on mine, it has a special "self-cleaning" thingymajig on the inside of the door instead.

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:03:15 PM »

Cheers, I'll switch to powder.

Only problem with the cleaning is 60 degrees is as hot as it gets. :(

What do you reckon to the vinegar idea?

60 degrees might be enough, but it's a shame you can't go any hotter as it'd probably speed things along a fair bit.

I wouldn't bother with the vinegar, personally, if you reel off a few service washes with the powder the issue should start improving rapidly.

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:08:53 PM »

Cheers. :thup:

Wife seems to think powder is more likely to clog it up than liquid, this is wrong then?

In terms of the internal stuff, she's wrong, but there can definitely be clogging problems in the dispenser with powder.

These are typically caused by using tablets in there or with powder that has become lumpy due to the way it has been stored (damp getting into it, etc.)

The way to avoid is is to use the tablets in the drum inside of a little mesh bag, or if your machine supports it just putting the powder (but not the fabric softener) inside of the drum as a matter of course. It won't damage your clothes and it'll keep the dispenser nice and clean as well.

Another handy tip: washing at 30 degrees is generally rubbish (and not even much more economical than a 40 in modern machines), unless you're specifically doing it for delicate items.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
Thanks. :thup:

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:15:17 PM »

This.

It's important to note that washing machines don't just "get dirty" by matter of course though, if you use them properly you'll never have to manually clean them as the machine will take care of itself.

If you're using liquid, washing at too cool a temperature or not using long enough wash cycles then you'll typically start seeing a mould/mildew buildup beginning. This is not supposed to happen.

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:17:35 PM »
Safe to say, if anyone has any washer issues (or anything with electric cookers, tumble dryers or older single fridges - not frost-free ones) then I'll always be happy to offer whatever help I can :thup:

If I don't know, I can always ring up me Dad :lol:

Deuce

• Book Wanker
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:20:50 PM »

This.

It's important to note that washing machines don't just "get dirty" by matter of course though, if you use them properly you'll never have to manually clean them as the machine will take care of itself.

If you're using liquid, washing at too cool a temperature or not using long enough wash cycles then you'll typically start seeing a mould/mildew buildup beginning. This is not supposed to happen.

The water hook-up at my apartment is such that I can only use cold water for the washer (don't ask me why they didn't connect the hot water too), so I've not got much of a choice. So you'd recommend using powder? I've exclusively been a liquid guy.

TaylorJ_01

• Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
Please god someone change the subject
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
Modern washers are only cold-fill anyway, for economic purposes. They now use around 25% of the electricity/water of the old dual-fill machines.

They have internal heating elements to bring the water up to temperature.

Definitely, definitely recommend powder ahead of liquid. It's an absolute must. You can probably alternate between the two, but it's when you start using liquid exclusively or just for a prolonged period that problems can begin to happen.

Deuce

• Book Wanker
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
Modern washers are only cold-fill anyway, for economic purposes. They now use around 25% of the electricity/water of the old dual-fill machines.

Definitely, definitely recommend powder ahead of liquid. It's an absolute must. You can probably alternate between the two, but it's when you start using liquid exclusively or just for a prolonged period that problems can begin to happen.

Ah, very interesting. Mine definitely isn't that old, I wonder if the heating element is busted. I'll set it for a hot wash and it'll make the sound like it's running...but I can come back and hour later and the tank hasn't even started to fill.

I have been noticing the damp smell. Leaving the lid open seems to do away with most of it, but I'll be switched to powder asap.

Appreciate the advice :thup:

Deuce

• Book Wanker
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
Please god someone change the subject

Please pose your statement in daft question form.

« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Great time for this washing machine issue to crop up. Been noticing my clothes getting a fusty smell to them lately.

TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
Benitez will be gone before the end of October.

« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:32:03 PM »

Ah, very interesting. Mine definitely isn't that old, I wonder if the heating element is busted. I'll set it for a hot wash and it'll make the sound like it's running...but I can come back and hour later and the tank hasn't even started to fill.

I have been noticing the damp smell. Leaving the lid open seems to do away with most of it, but I'll be switched to powder asap.

Appreciate the advice :thup:

I'm forgetting you're over the pond and using a top-loader, should probably be dual fill (all the ones I've used when I've been over there have been) but I'm not sure :undecided:

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:32:52 PM »
Please god someone change my avatar to one of a washing machine. I just really love them.

Sorted mate :thup:

TaylorJ_01

• Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 30 October 2012, 08:34:15 PM »
I, for one, welcome my new washing machine overlord.
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.