Author Topic: Film You Recently Watched  (Read 600469 times)

Re: Film You Didn't Recently Watch
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 08:35:40 PM »
The Grey - enjoyable enough but a bit frustrated by the ending.

« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 08:58:59 PM »
Grizzly Man

2005 documentary film by Werner Herzog about bear enthusiast Timothy Treadwell who spent 13 summers in Alaska living with wild bears. Unfortunately for him his 13th summer with the bears was to be his last as him and his girlfriend were both mauled and killed by a bear as they were almost to return home for the winter.

The film is a mixture of edits from Treadwell's own movie footage he recorded in the wilderness and Herzog interview people that knew or were close to Treadwell.

I'd recommend this to anybody as it shows the inner struggles of one man who believes he was at one with bears, and more than likely wished to be a bear.

At times I felt Herzog's image of Treadwell was a bit unfair, as it made him seem slightly insane at times and how he was disturbing the unwritten rule between man and bear when clearly all Treadwell wanted to do was to protect the species and to try and break down some boundaries.

There's also a rather disturbing bit where Herzog manages to listen to a recording of Treadwell's death as his camera was left on at the time. You can clearly see how shaken up he was by this and it certainly moves you.

Haven't seen this yet, but based on this post I read a bit about him and saw that the guy stopped carrying "bear spray" a few years into doing this sort of stuff. What an arsehole. There's no logical reason to not carry a form of self defence. It's not like the bears are going to be upset with him that he doesn't trust them 100% to not rip his face off. He might have been a really lovely bloke, but reading that made me unnaturally angry  :rant:

Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
Hard to bear.

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
Got City of Violence waiting to be watched. Anyone seen it?

SiLvOR

• From Leafy Surrey
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
King of New York. A good watch imo, thought the cast was sublime (Walken, Caruso and Fishbourne standing out for me), typical plot of cops vs bad guys, with you ending up liking the bad guys more imo. 7.5/10
Love Walken's dance in it. :lol:

Yeah that was class :lol:

« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 09:53:45 PM »

« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 10:00:24 PM »
King of New York. A good watch imo, thought the cast was sublime (Walken, Caruso and Fishbourne standing out for me), typical plot of cops vs bad guys, with you ending up liking the bad guys more imo. 7.5/10

"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 10:24:21 PM »
Grabbers.

Pretty much filmed like The Guard, similar black humour but with alien squid :lol:

You know what...it was alright. Basically the Irish population on the island had to get p*ssed out of their heads to survive :lol:

Worth a watch and if it was made 20 years ago it would have been bigger than Gremlins :lol: </stupidfuckingpointlessthingtosay>

Anyways...loved the nod to Aliens near the end. Only this bit was far better :lol:

Spoiler
"Get away from him...you c***!"
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
Grabbers.

Pretty much filmed like The Guard, similar black humour but with alien squid :lol:

You know what...it was alright. Basically the Irish population on the island had to get p*ssed out of their heads to survive :lol:

Worth a watch and if it was made 20 years ago it would have been bigger than Gremlins :lol: </stupidfuckingpointlessthingtosay>

Anyways...loved the nod to Aliens near the end. Only this bit was far better :lol:

Spoiler
"Get away from him...you c***!"

Like the sound of that.

« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

best was the dance he did in the fatboy slim video

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 10:36:08 PM »
That dude just has supreme confidence.

Dr Venkman

• Alreet pet?
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 07:21:38 AM »
Samsara. Beautiful, felt like it lasted about 20 minutes, not one word of dialogue. Must see in the cinema!

Dr Venkman

• Alreet pet?
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 07:24:08 AM »
Lawless - Rated it tbh, Tom Hardy was excellent, still not sure about Shia though.. just something.. I duno not quite there to make him a top actor for me. Very decent film though, 8/10 for me.

He can't even do the basics, the scene where he's trying to chat her up when she's in the car....EVERYONE has been in that situation at one point, it should be easy and he still manages to come off looking like he can't do it.

Tyson

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 07:37:09 AM »
Grizzly Man

2005 documentary film by Werner Herzog about bear enthusiast Timothy Treadwell who spent 13 summers in Alaska living with wild bears. Unfortunately for him his 13th summer with the bears was to be his last as him and his girlfriend were both mauled and killed by a bear as they were almost to return home for the winter.

The film is a mixture of edits from Treadwell's own movie footage he recorded in the wilderness and Herzog interview people that knew or were close to Treadwell.

I'd recommend this to anybody as it shows the inner struggles of one man who believes he was at one with bears, and more than likely wished to be a bear.

At times I felt Herzog's image of Treadwell was a bit unfair, as it made him seem slightly insane at times and how he was disturbing the unwritten rule between man and bear when clearly all Treadwell wanted to do was to protect the species and to try and break down some boundaries.

There's also a rather disturbing bit where Herzog manages to listen to a recording of Treadwell's death as his camera was left on at the time. You can clearly see how shaken up he was by this and it certainly moves you.

Haven't seen this yet, but based on this post I read a bit about him and saw that the guy stopped carrying "bear spray" a few years into doing this sort of stuff. What an arsehole. There's no logical reason to not carry a form of self defence. It's not like the bears are going to be upset with him that he doesn't trust them 100% to not rip his face off. He might have been a really lovely bloke, but reading that made me unnaturally angry  :rant:

His girlfriend felt very uncomfortable about the prospect of accompanying him to the Bear Maze. I think she expressed those fears to family & friends before her first & only trip iirc.

The captured audio of the attack was pretty full-on, as well as the first-hand account of the helicopter pilot who flew over the kill scene.

BrettNUFC

• Most Boring Poster 2013
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
Total Recall - Thought it started off fairly decently but then just went in to complete meltdown. Became very bored of it and didn't really care for what was happening. Some good visual effects and couple of decent scenes. 5/10.

SiLvOR

• From Leafy Surrey
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
Lawless - Rated it tbh, Tom Hardy was excellent, still not sure about Shia though.. just something.. I duno not quite there to make him a top actor for me. Very decent film though, 8/10 for me.

He can't even do the basics, the scene where he's trying to chat her up when she's in the car....EVERYONE has been in that situation at one point, it should be easy and he still manages to come off looking like he can't do it.

Ah God yeah, that was really..urgh. I kinda think with a different actor we could have had a much more epic film?

« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Watched Grizzly Man, found it a bit disturbing yet fascinating. I didn't like Treadwell as a person mind, it wasn't because he was shown in an overly eccentric light, there was just something about him that irked me.

Dr Venkman

• Alreet pet?
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 08:37:06 PM »

Ah God yeah, that was really..urgh. I kinda think with a different actor we could have had a much more epic film?

That's exactly what I thought, put someone competent in that role and the whole film would have stepped up a notch.

Dr Venkman

• Alreet pet?
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
Watched Grizzly Man, found it a bit disturbing yet fascinating. I didn't like Treadwell as a person mind, it wasn't because he was shown in an overly eccentric light, there was just something about him that irked me.

That he was a lunatic that endangered other peoples lives?

Great film btw.

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 09:40:38 PM »
The Avengers.  What utter enjoyable nonsense. 
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 10:04:39 PM »

"Sword Stained with Royal Blood"

Much better than I thought it would be. Based on a book, which isn't something I think many Shaw Bros flicks can claim. The story was more engaging than the fights, which is an accomplishment considering how good the fight scenes were, overall.

It's not f***ing with 8 diagram or 36 Chambers, but it's above a lot of the stuff I've seen. Some damn fine fight choreography in there. Although they went to the wires a bit more than I like, it wasn't a consistent thing, like in later HK flicks.

The fight from the picture was hot s***.

Disco

• Me reading your posts
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 10:14:49 PM »
Wasn't as enthralled at that Winter's Bone as some of you. Good but not brilliant.

SiLvOR

• From Leafy Surrey
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 10:17:04 PM »
WALL-E, for the first time. I actually loved it, can't actually think of any gripes with it tbh!

Nobody

• That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
WALL-E, for the first time. I actually loved it, can't actually think of any gripes with it tbh!
It's f***ing fantastic.

Into the Abyss. Really good, just wish we would have had more time with the convicts, but it's understandable why that wasn't the case.

« Reply #74 on: Thursday 13 September 2012, 12:25:49 AM »
knocked up on itv2+1. wouldnt be the end of the world knocking up someone well fit. so long as  im in a position where it isnt total disaster
AS9