Author Topic: Hairies vs Skinheads - which were you? (Newcastle & the 70s)  (Read 27175 times)

Skirge

• They Will Never Take My Cabaye
Re: Hairies vs Skinheads - which were you? (Newcastle & the 70s)
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 10 April 2013, 11:49:19 PM »
Need to keep bumping this until it gets sorted.

So many of us would love to see this, I am MORE than willing to rip it and upload it if I am sent a copy.

Inferior Acuña

• (Grant) Geordie in Chicago
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 12:06:09 AM »
I'd also be interested in this. I'd particularly like to hear about local mod stuff.

In my school (Kenton) (I'm 23) you were just asked if you were a charva or a hippy. Charva was basically the mainstream, 'normal' or a hippy (a significant minority, and bottom of the food-chain) - which people seem to call 'moshers' in most other parts of the country, who were basically the people that wore Offspring hoodies, baggy jeans with chains on etc. I wasn't into either - thought the hippies were mostly lame and the charvas crowd-followers and largely dickheads. It was almost a one-way system of charva on hippy attacks. If you had no obvious symbolism - rockports, berghaus etc., your allegiance was shown by how many bag straps you had on your shoulder - 1 meant an easy life, 2 (=> hippy) might mean getting hassled.
« Last Edit: Thursday 11 April 2013, 12:25:44 AM by Superior Grant »

Skirge

« Reply #52 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 12:18:57 AM »
 aye school now a days Chav or be chaved :lol:

There was a huge mod movement in Newcastle, vespa's everywhere big aerials on the back with fox tails hanging from them.

« Reply #53 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 12:20:29 AM »
Mods were earlier (mid 60s) than the period when this doc was made (1971, I think), though they sort of came back for a while around 1979.

I'm still keen to see it again, too. Didn't someone have a copy that they were going to get uploaded or make available somehow?

« Reply #54 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 12:21:45 AM »
Mods were earlier (mid 60s) than the period when this doc was made (1971, I think), though they sort of came back for a while around 1979.

I'm still keen to see it again, too. Didn't someone have a copy that they were going to get uploaded or make available somehow?

The Jam.

Inferior Acuña

« Reply #55 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 12:24:44 AM »

I know they had a revival with Quadrophenia but didn't think they'd ever really gone. The Jam's first album was 77.

Would love to see pics of Vespas riding round the toon.

Skirge

« Reply #56 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 12:24:57 AM »
HTT said he had it, I am willing to rip & upload it if he can send me a copy.. I am desperate to see it.

« Reply #57 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 12:26:33 AM »

The Jam.

Yeah, and in their wake the Purple Hearts, Secret Affair, Merton Parkas and the like. Plus a bit of Two-Tone (though their following transcended "mod"). That was when late '70s mod tried to become a movement. Yeah, the Jam dressed like mods in the beginning and had fans who vaguely copied the look but that wasn't mod coming back in the sense that I meant and it all got a bit drowned out by punk anyway.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
HTT said he had it, I am willing to rip & upload it if he can send me a copy.. I am desperate to see it.

I've since moved house so it will be a chore to find it but I'll look for it at the weekend and get it sent to you.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Disco

• Me reading your posts
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
There is a bit about mod culture on Look North tonight (I think), was a mini-interview on Breakfast with some bloke on a Lambretta anyway.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
Just found it, was in my draw, whoever wants it drop me a PM and I'll get it sent off. Cheers.

Skirge

« Reply #61 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
Just found it, was in my draw, whoever wants it drop me a PM and I'll get it sent off. Cheers.

OM sent :smitten:

Skirge

« Reply #62 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
A lad called well known as Matches was mentioned in this thread, anyone know his real name ? I am sure I remember something about him being killed down in London.

« Reply #63 on: Thursday 11 April 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
I'd also be interested in this. I'd particularly like to hear about local mod stuff.

In my school (Kenton) (I'm 23) you were just asked if you were a charva or a hippy. Charva was basically the mainstream, 'normal' or a hippy (a significant minority, and bottom of the food-chain) - which people seem to call 'moshers' in most other parts of the country, who were basically the people that wore Offspring hoodies, baggy jeans with chains on etc. I wasn't into either - thought the hippies were mostly lame and the charvas crowd-followers and largely dickheads. It was almost a one-way system of charva on hippy attacks. If you had no obvious symbolism - rockports, berghaus etc., your allegiance was shown by how many bag straps you had on your shoulder - 1 meant an easy life, 2 (=> hippy) might mean getting hassled.

Are you a Mod? :smitten:

The Jam.

Yeah, and in their wake the Purple Hearts, Secret Affair, Merton Parkas and the like. Plus a bit of Two-Tone (though their following transcended "mod"). That was when late '70s mod tried to become a movement. Yeah, the Jam dressed like mods in the beginning and had fans who vaguely copied the look but that wasn't mod coming back in the sense that I meant and it all got a bit drowned out by punk anyway.

Agree.

I've got a copy of the Jam playing the City Hall in 1980 (I think?) and you can see my dad bouncing around in his suit :lol:

However I would disagree with your view on it not being back properly. The revival stopped probably in 83 after the Jam had split. But before that the Mods were joined together by Skinheads, Northern Soulers and Rude boys. There's so many pictures of a good Mod revival movement, but just becuase the Jam stopped wearing suits didn't mean they weren't still 'Mods' to a degree.

Notice the Jam shoes on Foxton and the scarf and boat shoes on Weller in late 1980

Skirge

« Reply #64 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
Right got the DVD off HTT.. fkn good lad I tell ya :D
I am ripping it will whack it on youtube as soon as its done..

watch this space

« Reply #65 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
:thup:

Skirge

« Reply #66 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 01:52:25 PM »
b****** WINAVI got to 90% and crashed arghhhhhhhh

Skirge

« Reply #67 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 03:08:49 PM »
Here you go.. many many thanks to HTT for sorting the disc out and sending so fast   O0

atghhhhh yo long for my account with have to chop it b******s..
 bare with me lads
« Last Edit: Friday 12 April 2013, 04:32:17 PM by Skirge »

Skirge

« Reply #68 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 04:38:41 PM »
All Dressed Up & Going Nowhere

Inferior Acuña

« Reply #69 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 04:57:46 PM »
Quality, thanks guys.

Are you a Mod? :smitten:

Bit of a wannabe, but I'm also a poncey student. Lounge around listening to The Who and The Jam on vinyl with my desert boots, fred perry and polka dot shirts :lol:. (also just got into the Small Faces)

« Reply #70 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 05:20:55 PM »
State of that first bloke's moustache.
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #71 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 05:25:17 PM »
Wey hey, class :D

Great title too "All dressed up and going nowhere", very apt!

I haven't seen my mate in a while, the one who put this on a disc, he probably has a few more stuff like this on the old VHS, next time I'll see him I'll ask.

Skirge

« Reply #72 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
Wey hey, class :D

Great title too "All dressed up and going nowhere", very apt!

I haven't seen my mate in a while, the one who put this on a disc, he probably has a few more stuff like this on the old VHS, next time I'll see him I'll ask.

Oh ask ask.. really love this.. hope it goes viral.. everyone needs to share it on facey and twitter.

Affy

« Reply #73 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 05:57:57 PM »
That was a canny watch like.

Would be amazing to interview some of the people in that documentary today.

« Reply #74 on: Friday 12 April 2013, 07:12:14 PM »
Ace documentary. Cheers for sorting out the upload.