Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I don't understand the fear/negativity from Pardew about not playing him wide at all. As has been said, although Obertan gets up and down well and does his share of covering he's hardly Jonas when it comes to that side of the game.

Obertan always seems to be the player with the most space to work with too and often gets to go one-on-one with opposition defenders. If Ben Arfa was given even 50% of the ball Obertan sees in those areas I've got little doubt we'd see more end product from that side. Of course that would generally require him to take up those positions and stick wide at times.

Maybe it's been the fullback issue more than the winger issue as well, if we had a Jose on one side then there may not be the reluctance to leave either side more exposed.

Just an incredibly frustrating scenario at the minute because we're getting little of value from out wide and the two "big men" up top appears to be the combination that suits us best (pun intended, although him and The Big Sho are operating at a similar level currently and are relatively interchangeable.)

I don't understand the fear/negativity from Pardew about not playing him wide at all. As has been said, although Obertan gets up and down well and does his share of covering he's hardly Jonas when it comes to that side of the game.

Obertan always seems to be the player with the most space to work with too and often gets to go one-on-one with opposition defenders. If Ben Arfa was given even 50% of the ball Obertan sees in those areas I've got little doubt we'd see more end product from that side. Of course that would generally require him to take up those positions and stick wide at times.

Maybe it's been the fullback issue more than the winger issue as well, if we had a Jose on one side then there may not be the reluctance to leave either side more exposed.

Just an incredibly frustrating scenario at the minute because we're getting little of value from out wide and the two "big men" up top appears to be the combination that suits us best (pun intended, although him and The Big Sho are operating at a similar level currently and are relatively interchangeable.)

:thup: even if he turns out to be a flop after his injury and he's got the 'fear factor' - at least by finding that out it'll stop the second guessing of Pardew's decisions every time we fail to win 3-0.

Somebody needs to show Pardew that video of the Everton game that's on Daily Motion and show him if he gives him some time on the pitch, then he could quite easily get back to that level.

Personally think too much is expected of Ben Arfa due to that one game and that's why Pardew has used him sparingly to protect him particularly after his long lay off.

Guest hatem garrincha

Personally think too much is expected of Ben Arfa due to that one game

Even if he didn't score against City, I thought his game very, very promising, in a different role than he had at Goodison.

He just needs the same run of games (and confidence from Pardew) given to Obertan

Even if he didn't score against City, I thought his game very, very promising, in a different role than he had at Goodison.

He just needs the same run of games (and confidence from Pardew) given to Obertan

Agree, we probably do expect to much but he is capable of delivering most of it. He just needs a bit of patience from the management IMO.

Would agree with this actually, if HBA got the confidence shown in him that Obertan enjoys and got a decent run of games he'd be back to his best that much sooner.

Would agree with this actually, if HBA got the confidence shown in him that Obertan enjoys and got a decent run of games he'd be back to his best that much sooner.

Obertan hasn't had a year out with a career threatening injury followed by another knock during his comeback keeping him out again.

Guest hatem garrincha

Aye, obviously all this chat has to be with the caveat that we don't really know how he's doing behind the scenes and how his comeback is being managed.

To choose :

- Pardew wants to protect him and introduce him gradually

- Pardew is more severe with him for his sake (the Mourinho method with Benzema)

- Pardew has his gameplan in which Hatem isn't suitable

- Pardew is punishing Hatem's bad attitude and non-professionalism

Aye, obviously all this chat has to be with the caveat that we don't really know how he's doing behind the scenes and how his comeback is being managed.

To choose :

- Pardew is more severe with him for his sake (the Mourinho method with Benzema)

NUmber 1 in My John Humble like. He's just taking it easy with him to make sure he's okay after such long lay off.

To choose :

Like Santon said, Pardew and Mourinho are similar...

Guest neesy111

Think there's also the 'Pardew has hit on a winning team and is a bit cautious in changing it' option.

Which was why Santon didn't get a look in and Raylor kept his place.

Guest hatem garrincha

Think there's also the 'Pardew has hit on a winning team and is a bit cautious in changing it' option.

That's a part of "his gameplan in which Hatem isn't suitable" (He tried the HBA option but "it didn't work, so back to the basics" etc.  :) )

That's a part of "his gameplan in which Hatem isn't suitable" (He tried the HBA option but "it didn't work, so back to the basics" etc.  :) )

Well, I don't think it's exactly the same thing. I think Pardew would have played HBA much more if we hadn't been winning so many games. He had a game plan that he came up with when HBA was injured, and it worked incredibly well.

Guest hatem garrincha

I genuinely think it's just a case of Pardew being cautious with him and making sure that when he does introduce him he is in the best shape / form in training to make an impact. Don't think it's really anything deeper than that.

Let's hope so.