Author Topic: The homeowners' thread  (Read 43559 times)

Re: The homeowners' thread
« Reply #175 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 11:52:06 AM »
Dont all buildings built after a certain date need to have a water meter fitted?
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
Yeah.

cp40

• : I am ze locksmith of love, no?
« Reply #177 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 12:08:57 PM »
Dont all buildings built after a certain date need to have a water meter fitted?

what date would that be?
When you are a skunk you learn to hold your breath for a long time.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
1st April 1990.

Mr Logic

• Lord of the pikeys
« Reply #179 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

Also, don't forget to check up on the council tax band etc - you may find it jumps up significantly from what you're paying now. And don't be tempted to get a water meter. ;)

Genuine question, why?

If you have more than a couple of people , Garden, car to wash. I think you would regret it. I know someone who got one and now cant afford to use outside tap. I also know an older bloke lives in an upstairs flat, has no outside tap- and rekons it costs him about 30% of what it did. 

Hmm, I got a water meter installed over a couple of years ago. I've also got two kids and our water bills are still less than they used to be. Often by a considerable margin. Not sure what the latest bill will be like as the two year old has discovered the joy of playing with taps but I still think you must have a pretty flagrant disregard for water conservation if you can't afford to pay your bills. Either that or someone else has tapped into your supply.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. : Albert Einstein
-
A life spent in fear is a life half lived.

cp40

« Reply #180 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
1st April 1990.

how is this enforced? whats the timescale? 

Dave

• Administrator
Re: Re: The homeowners' thread
« Reply #181 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 03:29:02 PM »
1st April 1990.

It became part of the Building Regulations.

cp40

« Reply #182 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
1st April 1990.

It became part of the Building Regulations.

so its was inlcluded in all new builds after that date?

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 03:35:38 PM »
Should have been, yeah.

cp40

« Reply #184 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
Trying to Find a defra approved Log/ multifuel burner that heats your hot water too, found a couple that heat radiators, but id rather heat the water.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 10:01:38 PM »
Strangely f***ing ace when you finally get the drains cleared. Watching that lovely porridge of bog roll, sweetcorn, used tampons and actual pieces of poo gurgling up and eventually floating away and getting it all flowing nice and 'clean'.

Was gonna put this in the little things in life thread but I didn't think many would appreciate it.

cp40

« Reply #186 on: Monday 20 February 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Strangely f***ing ace when you finally get the drains cleared. Watching that lovely porridge of bog roll, sweetcorn, used tampons and actual pieces of poo gurgling up and eventually floating away and getting it all flowing nice and 'clean'.

Was gonna put this in the little things in life thread but I didn't think many would appreciate it.

so it was just plugged with s*** and tampons? fkin hell sounds like the goal mouths at sol.

• Administrator
  • Negative Cat
« Reply #187 on: Monday 20 February 2012, 06:28:03 PM »
:lol:

I had a Mira Sport some years back by the way, and would only have said good things about it if I'd ever actually been asked about it before.
Maturity is not Passivity.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: Monday 20 February 2012, 08:37:26 PM »

I had a Mira Sport some years back by the way, and would only have said good things about it if I'd ever actually been asked about it before.

Cheers.

I'm starting to wonder if there's one f***ing thing the w*****s that had this house have done right on it. I mean all the basics are fine, but every alteration they've done is with such little skill and foresight it's embarrassing.

The latest one is related to this drain problem. The old cover is rusted to f*** and one handle/lifting point was missing and the other broken, so I decided to buy a new one. Exactly the same size etc, in fact it's the same brand even. Got it home, cleared all the s**** out of the frame (bedded in concrete) and tried to put the new lid in... doesn't f***ing fit. They've installed the frame on the p*ss, it's like a f***ing parallelogram. So no doubt they've forced the old cover in and that's why the handles are bust from getting it back out. Useless.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: Monday 20 February 2012, 08:38:52 PM »
In fact that's another tip for those thinking of looking at houses. If the estate agent or seller makes a claim about something in the house that you can't immediately and obviously see, ask them to show you it and don't just take their word for it.

cp40

« Reply #190 on: Monday 20 February 2012, 08:52:54 PM »
In fact that's another tip for those thinking of looking at houses. If the estate agent or seller makes a claim about something in the house that you can't immediately and obviously see, ask them to show you it and don't just take their word for it.

buying a house off a s*** dIYer is a f***ing nightmare like.

ian

« Reply #191 on: Thursday 23 February 2012, 02:45:53 PM »
Hi...We want to extend kitchen...maybe add utility room...Q.   do we really need an architect...and if so ..why?   thanks.

POOT

• RIP Jon Lockwood (Cajun)
« Reply #192 on: Thursday 23 February 2012, 03:10:51 PM »
No. A builder should have enough about him to be able to do one sans architect.

You'll have to pay £350ish to the council for a building inspector to keep an eye on the regs. You shouldn't need planning permission unless you build more than the permitted amount.

Check here for guidelines (nice 3d house to play with :)):

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/house
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

• Administrator
  • Negative Cat
« Reply #193 on: Thursday 23 February 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
Don't rule it out though. Depends how savvy you feel really, relative to the job in hand. Know any good contacts in building? Or a good manhunter in case you get trapped by a charlatan? Wouldn't hurt to contact a couple (of architects) and ask them to sell themselves to you.
Maturity is not Passivity.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 10:36:36 PM »
Should we get an offset bath (small and expensive but looks snazzy and gives more room) or a normal-shaped one (means less floor space and looks bog standard but more capacity and cheaper) for the new bathroom? Both will physically fit the space.

We get showers so either way it's a bit of a waste of money, but when we have a family it'll become important. Do we pay more money for a mostly redundant item that looks the business, or go traditional route and save some brass? Can't make my mind up. :lol:

Beren

• Administrator
  • Special Shoes
« Reply #195 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 10:52:41 PM »
Snazzy. :pow:

cp40

« Reply #196 on: Tuesday 6 March 2012, 06:57:56 PM »
if your a shower person, I would go with easiest to get in/ out (im old and have a bad ankle) and best looking.
If you like your baths like me, i would go for easiest to fill. Recently moved into new place has a two person jacuzzi bath and shower cubicle. i went mental having jacuzzis every night- and got a gas and electric bill for £250 for the first 5 weeks. :blush: :lol: 

Truth is dave i think its a taste thing, but quality bathrooms do look the biz.

put some pics up- people can judge which looks best.

edit- oh and my lass hates it cos the baby pokes her fingers in the jets and everything, so if its for a furture family, get one thats ababy friendly- you know your gonna have that- sit down ive got something to tell you - chat one day.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday 6 March 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
Ah, I should have clarified - we're getting a shower enclosure so this will literally just be a bath.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday 6 March 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
Recently moved into new place has a two person jacuzzi bath and shower cubicle. i went mental having jacuzzis every night- and got a gas and electric bill for £250 for the first 5 weeks. :blush: :lol: 

cp40

« Reply #199 on: Tuesday 6 March 2012, 07:09:10 PM »