Author Topic: The homeowners' thread  (Read 104024 times)

Re: The homeowners' thread
« Reply #2400 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 06:39:06 PM »
I'm no market expert...but £100K seems very reasonable for a property like that.

I don't envy your position...it's a tough sell being out of the way.

Can you afford the time to be patient?
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

« Reply #2401 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Na, I've got my nanas house lined up (she died) and the house is two doors from her mothers and had an extra bedroom etc. Anyway my dad and his siblings now co-own that house and are now pressuring us (my aunties are bitches).

It was originally on for 120 but we dropped it to push through a sale. We can't go any lower because it would be just throwing money away.

Someone could buy our home and make a tidy profit on it in 18 months, if they were willing to wait.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #2402 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 06:51:13 PM »
Washing machine recommendations? Need to order one tonight really.

Beren

• Administrator
  • Amazing shoes
« Reply #2403 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 07:06:06 PM »
AEG L76475FL Washing Machine

Got this (according to my email history). Never had any problems, decent array of settings.

« Reply #2404 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 07:10:06 PM »
Washing machine recommendations? Need to order one tonight really.

Don't buy a Samsung one. My Mrs bought some f***ing high-tech c*** of a thing and it's a right pain in the arse.

« Reply #2405 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
Abit like TBG here, I'm going to view a flat that I'm fairly certain I want to buy (providing theres nothing seriously wrong) the issue being the asking price is 'offers over' lets say 80k. Now being a FTB I'm unsure if it'd be cheeky / frowned upon to go in lower?

All this s*** is new to me,  having estate agents ringing everyday/viewing properties that look great on pics but on viewing are an absolute state.

I'm bricking it at this buying malarkey :lol:
Of course you can go in lower. Look at what similar properties have gone for and compare their condition. I would always try to have a couple of different properties I was interested in just to keep perspective.

« Reply #2406 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
Random question, did you change the locks when you bought your house?

« Reply #2407 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 08:15:19 PM »
Anyone (I know at least one person does actually) own or buy any properties as investments? I rent one flat out and seriously considering.moving onto a couple of others. Just a big risk to take, would need to make sure I got it right.
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

« Reply #2408 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
My guess is investment properties are probably not a popular thing around these parts

Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

« Reply #2409 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
Right, I've got a real puzzle on my hands. If anyone can help with advice it will be mucho appreciated.

Here's the situation:

I own my home, we've paid approx 60k off a 100k house, with 40ish left to pay.

For personal reasons (location, extra bedroom etc) we need to move, soonish.

My Nana died last year and we have first option on her house at 105k (easily within reach, financially). My dad and his 3 siblings now own it.

The problem is that his brother and sisters are getting restless and are ready to cash in but we haven't found a buyer for our home yet, therefore can't buy my nanas old home off them.

Is there anything I can do to buy that property, without selling ours first, as time is running out.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

« Reply #2410 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 12:38:14 PM »
Right, I've got a real puzzle on my hands. If anyone can help with advice it will be mucho appreciated.

Here's the situation:

My Nana died last year and we have first option on her house at 105k (easily within reach, financially). My dad and his 3 siblings now own it.

The problem is that his brother and sisters are getting restless and are ready to cash in but we haven't found a buyer for our home yet, therefore can't buy my nanas old home off them.

Is there anything I can do to buy that property, without selling ours first, as time is running out.

bridging?  buy to let mortgage?- rent it out while you sell yours?

« Reply #2411 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 12:48:55 PM »

Here's the situation:

bridging?  buy to let mortgage?- rent it out while you sell yours?

Yep, rent out your place, new mortgage on your nannas. Exactly what I do. Didn't want too initially but works out brilliantly.

« Reply #2412 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 12:56:54 PM »
Aye but don't you need a deposit on the second house? We have no capital.

« Reply #2413 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:00:08 PM »

Ah right, yeah I think you would. Got the number of a really good finance advisor if you want to discuss your options. Won't charge you anything for advice.

« Reply #2414 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:00:30 PM »

have you equity in your existing- are you getting your nanas at a discount from market rate?

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #2415 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:01:27 PM »

Depends, they may look at you owning your house and give you a mortgage based on the money tied up in your house? I'm no expert obviously.

Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

« Reply #2416 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:03:05 PM »

Depends, they may look at you owning your house and give you a mortgage based on the money tied up in your house? I'm no expert obviously.

Nah I don't think they do, well they didn't when I moved. Not sure if the market has changed in the last 4 years. Although I'm sure I heard 100% mortgages are creeping back in, dunno how widely available they are of at all.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #2417 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:09:40 PM »

Nah I don't think they do, well they didn't when I moved. Not sure if the market has changed in the last 4 years. Although I'm sure I heard 100% mortgages are creeping back in, dunno how widely available they are of at all.

Is it not let to buy? Let your own house out to buy another?

I'll be interested in the development of this one as we have our property we would ideally like to keep and rent out and use that as well as a decent sized deposit to get our dream home which could cost daft money.

« Reply #2418 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:12:37 PM »
That's the problem, I really don't know how it works. It's daft because we paid off 15k last year in one lump sum, but I wasn't to know my nana would pass.

I will let you guys know.

« Reply #2419 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:13:14 PM »

Is it not let to buy? Let your own house out to buy another?

I'll be interested in the development of this one as we have our property we would ideally like to keep and rent out and use that as well as a decent sized deposit to get our dream home which could cost daft money.

he would need a buy to let mortgage on his existing property up to 75% of market value- this would redeem his current residential mortgage- then he could take out a new residential mortgage to buy his nanas property- having plenty equity- ( and time its not quick) is the key to that idea working tho.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #2420 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:17:07 PM »
That's the problem, I really don't know how it works. It's daft because we paid off 15k last year in one lump sum, but I wasn't to know my nana would pass.

This may sound daft, but could you not rent your nan's house until yours sells and take off whatever you have paid in rent off the final price of your nan's property on pruchase? You'd obviously need solicitors involved to draw up a contract etc.

« Reply #2421 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 01:35:21 PM »

This may sound daft, but could you not rent your nan's house until yours sells and take off whatever you have paid in rent off the final price of your nan's property on pruchase? You'd obviously need solicitors involved to draw up a contract etc.

Aye but my greedy moral-less aunties want their whole share of the house ASAP. Otherwise, we were happy to wait until ours sold before buying that.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #2422 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 02:05:35 PM »
Family and money/business never mix. Trust me.

« Reply #2423 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 02:08:54 PM »
Lesson learned.

« Reply #2424 on: Sunday 19 February 2017, 04:53:59 PM »
Try and calmly (bite your lip) talk to the family?
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!