Author Topic: The homeowners' thread  (Read 87654 times)

Dave

• Administrator
The homeowners' thread
« on: Friday 14 October 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
Been meaning for a while to start a thread to discuss home improvement, gardening, mortgages and other such mundane bollocks the younger ones on here won't have the slightest bit of interest in.

First question from me: anyone got boiler cover, and if so what do you think about it? We've got a ~£3k Worcester-Bosch boiler that was fitted in 2008 and today we got a flyer through from a company tacked onto Corgi offering cover for £16.99/month which includes all boiler, plumbing and even electrical faults (I didn't know they all covered this as well). Also includes an annual boiler service. Is it worth it?

Dave

• Administrator
Re: The homeowners' thread
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 07:51:16 PM »
Also, does anyone else's missus watch the Home channel all the f***ing time? :lol:

« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 07:52:48 PM »
got exactly the same corgi boiler offer couple of weeks ago- still considerig it- seems a pretty decent deal tbh.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 07:54:55 PM »
got exactly the same corgi boiler offer couple of weeks ago- still considerig it- seems a pretty decent deal tbh.

Do you already have it with someone else? I know their entire business model is based around fear, but tbh it's working. :lol:

« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 07:58:38 PM »

Do you already have it with someone else? I know their entire business model is based around fear, but tbh it's working. :lol:

I know- but its pretty cheap- you gonna need a service every year anyway unless you wanna gas yourself. my offer was somethig along the lines of free replacement boiler if they cant fix it in first 10 years. if I was defo staying here i would take it- but looking to move on, place is too small since kid came along.

Christmas Tree

• I don't like Jonas.
  • Reality hits you hard Bro!
The homeowners' thread
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 07:58:58 PM »
Good idea for a thread. If there's not already one there should be a car problem / diy / tips thread as well.

Personally think Boiler insurance is a rip off. Five years  that's a grand gone. It's a decent boiler so should have a decent life expectancy. If something went wrong I'm sure it would be a lot less than a grand.

Most boiler repairs I have ever had done have been less than an hours work and the parts haven't cost much.

I pay £40 a year for a service.

« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
Good idea for a thread. If there's not already one there should be a car problem / diy / tips thread as well.

Personally think Boiler insurance is a rip off. Five years  that's a grand gone. It's a decent boiler so should have a decent life expectancy. If something went wrong I'm sure it would be a lot less than a grand.

Most boiler repairs I have ever had done have been less than an hours work and the parts haven't cost much.

ah well- dave theres both sides of the argument :lol:

PCW1983

• I love my b****** dog.
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
Yeah i must admit, i don't run with boiler cover i just get a service every year.  It's a fear thing, i hate it when they try to sell you cover for the pipes etc and they start going on about the cost of digging your garden and street up to find a leaky pipe, should be outlawed.
Never give up - Winston Churchill

« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 08:03:34 PM »
oh and as you mentioned it- ive been wanting to ask how your pushme-pullyou lawnmower performed?

« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
You'd be just as well getting a bank account such as Halifax's £15 a month (£10 a month if a grand goes in) Ultimate Reward, where it includes Home Emergency Cover.

My 2yr old Baxi broke down last month and they sent Carillion out to fix it without charge (as long as it cost less than £250)

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
oh and as you mentioned it- ive been wanting to ask how your pushme-pullyou lawnmower performed?

Not too bad actually on the first go last week. Defo will be easier to push along if I do it regularly when shorter like, but it performed admirably anyway on a frankly amazing amount of growth in the previous week since its first mow. Only left a couple of areas where it was too long to catch. Planning on giving it another go in the morning as the forecast is good. For £30 it's spot on, and I loved not having to fanny around with the power cord. Actually felt good knowing I wasn't using any power either. :blush:

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
Cheers for the responses on the boiler cover, ordinarily I don't fall for these fear-tactics insurance policies (extended warranties on electricals for example, get to f***) but this one made me look. It needs a service anyway so I suppose I'll get an idea of the cost when I get around to arranging that.

« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 08:21:33 PM »

Not too bad actually on the first go last week. Defo will be easier to push along if I do it regularly when shorter like, but it performed admirably anyway on a frankly amazing amount of growth in the previous week since its first mow. Only left a couple of areas where it was too long to catch. Planning on giving it another go in the morning as the forecast is good. For £30 it's spot on, and I loved not having to fanny around with the power cord. Actually felt good knowing I wasn't using any power either. :blush:

thats the trick with them- cut often, they are very good.

« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 08:56:41 PM »

...Jesus, I would of bet money on you being 14-18 :lol:

« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
Seem to get that a lot on forums. :lol:

Anywho, I hate those scare tactics, too. Normally ignore them. On the other hand...this thread has got me more worried! "f***...the boiler!" :laugh:

f***ing N.O scare tactics :huff:
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

Christmas Tree

• I don't like Jonas.
  • Reality hits you hard Bro!
The homeowners' thread
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 09:45:56 PM »

...Jesus, I would of bet money on you being 14-18 :lol:

45 unfortunately. God what I'd give to have a few days back at being 14'ish!

Kaizero

• King Wanker
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
My whole life just flashed before my eyes. I gotta' get me a life!

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
Last time I went to Homebase they were selling all kinds of weed and feed stuff for lawns that was supposedly specially for use in Autumn. Anyone used this, and any recommendations?

« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Last time I went to Homebase they were selling all kinds of weed and feed stuff for lawns that was supposedly specially for use in Autumn. Anyone used this, and any recommendations?

depends what weeds/ diseases you have in your lawn, professional treatment is the way to go- usually cost as little as diy , 10x more effective.
 evergreen 4 in 1 , comes well recomended.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 11:55:13 AM »
Well it's new turf, been down about a month now. Taking well and I don't have any dead spots, it's just the usual dandelions coming up through the small gaps in the rolls of turf.

« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 12:01:03 PM »
Well it's new turf, been down about a month now. Taking well and I don't have any dead spots, it's just the usual dandelions coming up through the small gaps in the rolls of turf.

ah ok, remember now. got to be carefull with new turf not to burn it. dandelions are a pain and should be cut out with a knife to get the root, if you can be arsed. the gaps in the rolls are either cos its got too dry, or they havent put them close enough together. For this, I would consider filling the gaps with bagged top soil and sprinkling seed along them. its a good time to seed. The new turf is probably due a feed, so I would research feeds for new turf if i were you.
hope this helps.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
Cheers. The gaps aren't exactly massive like, The only one big enough to get a finger down we filled in with a little soil. Just been pulling the weeds out best I can but they're absolutely forcing their way under the rug and out.

« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 12:05:19 PM »
Cheers. The gaps aren't exactly massive like, The only one big enough to get a finger down we filled in with a little soil. Just been pulling the weeds out best I can but they're absolutely forcing their way under the rug and out.

hmm so the ground was prepared and dug over all roots removed? mare.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
Yeah it was rotovated to make it dead flat. We got as many roots out as we could before the day it was laid but I understand the turning over just cuts up the remaining roots and spreads them around. Doh.

Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 12:17:38 PM »
I'd love a garden like.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.