Kenton Bar Boys

magpie418

Anyone (old cunts) remember the Sun posting a list of football team's hoolies back in the early 80's? They had Newcastle down with the Kenton Bar Boys, who they claimed wore black & white tartan kilts, Doctor Martin boots, and stockings on their heads... I remember some time later seeing a couple of old blokes (must be dead now) kitted out in the full gear, couldn't work out if they were the real deal or it was just a case of being influenced by the article.

I once knew someone who was thrown through a chip shop window in Kenton Bar, but can anyone shed any light on the KBB? was it all just a load of media nonsense?

The stockings on the heads & Doc Martins reminded me a bit of the Millwall Treatment, seen here in a 1977 Panorama documentary:

Great bit in there about 'northerners' and surrviving a trip to... sunderland.

West denton wild bunch actually. There were also the aggro boys of newbiggin hall (NHAB) and longbenton (LBAB) .

When they first built the Metro I remember going through the place and I'll never forget seeing LBAB painted the full length of someones roof.

There was a huge eye painted on a wall as you approached the station with 'Longbenton Clockwork' painted under it. In hindsight I now realise they were obviously film buffs with probably the best gang name ever :lol:

West denton wild bunch actually. There were also the aggro boys of newbiggin hall (NHAB) and longbenton (LBAB) .

When they first built the Metro I remember going through the place and I'll never forget seeing LBAB painted the full length of someones roof.

There was a huge eye painted on a wall as you approached the station with 'Longbenton Clockwork' painted under it. In hindsight I now realise they were obviously film buffs with probably the best gang name ever :lol:

They changed their name from "Aggro Boys" to "Clockwork" after the movie. Growing up in nearby South Gosforth Mafia territory, I remember a lot of skins wearing bowlers in 1971 -- a look completed with white Levi Sta-Prests, blue check or white Ben Sherman shirt, Crombie coat, highly polished Doc Martens and an umbrella, sometimes with sharpened tip.

• 5 years later...
Guest Northbourne66

I remember that article in the sun, think the reporter just spoke to the first loony he met who happened to live on kenton bar.

LBAB and sham army were the biggest gangs late 70s early 80s who went to the match.

West Denton Wild bunch were fairly notorious but most areas had a gang elswick, scotchy, nbh, north kenton, north shields, walker all hot beds of antics

• 3 weeks later...