Author Topic: Scottish Independence - No Wins!  (Read 59890 times)

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
Scottish Independence - No Wins!
« on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 07:58:25 AM »
Not seen a thread on this yet so thought we should have one.

A push for a referendum from Alex Salmond as leader of the SNP and now Scotlands first minister...this is really gathering pace.

Should we all vote on it in the UK or should it be Scotlands vote ?

Personally I would be dissapointed if we broke the union up.

Bit of history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707
« Last Edit: Friday 19 September 2014, 02:53:11 PM by BlufPurdi »

OpenC

• You might still see them in the desert
Re: Scottish Independence - Whats Your Take On It...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 08:03:32 AM »
Doesn't concern me greatly either way, other than the prospect of having to remember my passport and change my money when I want to go walking (because whichever way you look at it, they've got better mountains than we have).  I don't think anybody can accurately foresee what difference it'll make to either country economically without it actually happening.  Not sure how they'll manage as regards military (or whether they'll just not bother).

It should be Scotland's vote exclusively, though - it's nowt to do with us, really.

madras

• Philosoraptor
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 08:45:52 AM »
Doesn't concern me greatly either way, other than the prospect of having to remember my passport and change my money when I want to go walking (because whichever way you look at it, they've got better mountains than we have).  I don't think anybody can accurately foresee what difference it'll make to either country economically without it actually happening.  Not sure how they'll manage as regards military (or whether they'll just not bother).

It should be Scotland's vote exclusively, though - it's nowt to do with us, really.
it's a break of the union so surely all members of the union should have a vote ? and why would you need to change money and need a passport etc ? never been to the benelux countries ?

fwiw i couldn't give a toss and they tend to run scared themselves when you tell them they aren't getting the oil/gas.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

garth

• Save a whale, eat a Japanese!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 08:48:07 AM »
A good thing. I hope they go for it.

MKSC

• Let's go Vikes!! SKOL!!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:09:13 AM »
I'm all for Scottish independence, and you can add Welsh and Irish independence in to the pot to boot. IMO England is under represented in Westminster and foots the bill for the other countries while not getting the same benefits like free prescriptions, no tuition fees, drugs that are restricted in England due to cost but available in Scotland etc etc. The whole idea of the Union is past it's sell by date and devolution has only served to hasten the full break-up of it. It would have happened eventually. England should have it's own parliament and take control of her own affairs as should the other members of the union.

This isn't a racist thing by the way. Colour or religion don't come in to it. It's purely about people living in England, regardless of ethnicity, being ripped off by the rest of the UK.

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:12:08 AM »
Wouldn't want it myself. Canny proud to be a part of the same nation as the Scottish. I feel that if we lose the Scottish attitude and influence then we'd be worse off. Especially up North.
Gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme some Ganja!

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:18:23 AM »
Sad to see it break up, we've achived some pretty big things together.

Ian W

• plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
My feeling is that people should be moving to more and more unity, not more and more separation. I would disappointed if Scotland chose to leave the UK.

I am slightly annoyed that Scotland gets a much better deal on things like prescriptions and students fees though, but devolution wouldn't solve that.

It's a difficult issue, even putting it to referendum in Scotland will leave a lot of people feeling it's been forced on them. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but I guess it can't be more than about 65% of the Scottish population who would be in favour.

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
It would mean Conservative governments forever in England, like.

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:33:11 AM »
It would mean Conservative governments forever in England, like.

I think England needs Scotland more then Scotland needs England.

Ian W

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:45:47 AM »
Also, would set a precedent that Wales and Ireland (eek!) would no doubt push hard to follow.

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:50:57 AM »
Don't know what there problem is like. Im proud to be British.
I really like Fenham Mag. Great guy and a very good poster.

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:53:18 AM »
England on its own, it'll be ran by total dickheads.

Ian W

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:54:02 AM »
England on its own, it'll be ran by total dickheads.

Yep, if Scotland get independence I want Tyneside to go with them.

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:55:59 AM »
yup.

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 09:56:45 AM »
No happening.  Salmond's just a fat c***.
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 10:09:35 AM »
No happening.  Salmond's just a fat c***.

He is drumming up support, promising the Scots a "look at Norway" model.

Tho one Scotch guy on newsnight said "Norway is really expensive".

Apparently Salmond used to bang on about Iceland and Ireland as models.

Oh dear.

Darth Crooks

• Full of Sith
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 11:34:32 AM »
Surely their economy would suffer. Granted they only have to govern around 4 million people. Surley the benefits of a British Union outweigh being separate. Oh and the fact Alex Salmand is an absolute cleft.

Dokko

• TT
  • Howay you robot radgies
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 11:42:45 AM »
Can scotland financially support itself?

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 11:52:06 AM »

They claim they can, Salmond also (according to newsnight)  that he wants scotland to be the saudi arabi of renewable fuels.

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 12:34:01 PM »

They claim they can, Salmond also (according to newsnight)  that he wants scotland to be the saudi arabi of renewable fuels.

If he can guarantee a certain quota of Saudi sunshine every year that sounds great.

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
I think the vote should only be in Scotland and England. People in Wales and the north of Ireland would vote for the wrong reasons, for example nationalists here would vote yes just to break the union and make the chances of a referendum here even greater.

Im all for their Independence and the union breaking, but right now is probably not the best time to do it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 02:52:00 PM by Decky »
“What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.” - Sir Bobby Robson

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 02:33:57 PM »
get them tae f*** (as long as we keep the oil :thup:)
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 02:41:26 PM »
I think the vote should only be in Scotland and England. People in Wales and the north of Ireland would vote for the wrong reasons, for example nationalists here would vote yes just to break the union and make the chances of a referendum here even greater.

Im all for their Independence and the union breaking, but right not is probably not the best time to do it.

Aren't we stronger as a collection of nations rather then being individual nations, ie Europe will swallow us all.

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 02:45:43 PM »
Aren't we stronger as a collection of nations rather then being individual nations, ie Europe will swallow us all.

we're a f***ing joke as we are, don't see how breaking up will make things any worse

when i say worse i mean for everyone but england - i think breaking up would be a disaster for england personally, politics would go right-wing to the max and we'd become the island nation the tories always wanted
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire