Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 91031 times)

OpenC

• You might still see them in the desert
Re: The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1350 on: Tuesday 31 January 2017, 03:35:47 PM »
Nah, it's the right thing to do man :thup:  Daft climbing the big hills in winter conditions when you're not used to them, save it for a nice summer's day :)

Alternatively, take Snoop up on his offer and have a proper winter day with an experienced mountaineer, which is potentially an experience you'll not forget for a long time.  I absolutely love being on the hills in winter, it makes you feel like you're doing something really out of the ordinary - but there are definitely risks to be considered.  Those risks are reduced massively if you're in the company of someone who knows where he is and what is and is not a "normal" winter's day.

« Reply #1351 on: Tuesday 31 January 2017, 03:56:46 PM »
Blencathra is covered in snow- somebody shared a pic of the top on my facebook today.

« Reply #1352 on: Tuesday 31 January 2017, 04:17:42 PM »
If I were you Pedro I would give it a miss this week and possibly part of next week .MWIS are forecasting 50mph winds on Wed/Thurs and upland gales into next week. Trust me if the wind is that strong you don't want to be near a hill. I certainly won't be.

« Reply #1353 on: Wednesday 1 February 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Thanks lads, just as I thought, I'd be a fool to barrel over there with all the gear and nee idea in the snow and gales. :lol:

Got a route planned around Urra Moor in the NYM which I will try and do sometime this week instead. Should be good.

« Reply #1354 on: Thursday 2 February 2017, 07:47:46 PM »
Pedro, Sunday looks promising.... :kasper:

OpenC

« Reply #1355 on: Thursday 2 February 2017, 08:40:08 PM »
:thup: was thinking that, and it's been fairly warm so the snowline should have moved up some.

Should have pointed out in my route description for Blencathra that it's very easy (although a good deal steeper) to follow a path up by the stream then curving round Scales Tarn on the opposite side to Sharp Edge, and basically jump straight from 2 to 5 :thup: not as good but quicker and easier and will probably have more people to follow :)

« Reply #1356 on: Saturday 4 February 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
"Plan to return the lynx splits friends and families in Kielder Forest community" https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/03/plan-to-introduce-lynx-to-kielder-forest-angers-farmers?CMP=share_btn_wa
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

« Reply #1357 on: Saturday 4 February 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
Its a difficult one. My own personal opinion is that as a person not seeking a living of the land I'm in favour of it. In Scotland in particular deer numbers are out of control as they have no natural predator. I've seen the damage they cause to established trees when there is little food over the winter. Without the trees and rotten wood you don't have the bugs and the bird life. I saw a programme once regarding loch fishing and the lack of fish all down to part of the cycle being missing. I would draw the line at wolves however.

« Reply #1358 on: Saturday 4 February 2017, 07:29:55 PM »
Agree with that snoopdawg. :thup:
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Inferior Acuña

• (Grant) Geordie in Chicago
« Reply #1359 on: Sunday 5 February 2017, 10:41:35 AM »

OpenC

« Reply #1360 on: Sunday 5 February 2017, 10:58:00 AM »

Looks amazing.  Long way back to the car though, I think I'll give that one a miss tbh

« Reply #1361 on: Sunday 5 February 2017, 08:52:20 PM »
Lakes day today, 12 mile 1400 metres ascent from Braithwaite to bag the Wainwright, Whiteside. Typical winters day early mist, clear, whiteout and snow then ending as a spring day. 4 Seasons in one day. Here are a few pics to give the flavour

DSC00338

DSC00342

DSC00346

DSC00356

DSC00363

DSC00373

OpenC

« Reply #1362 on: Sunday 5 February 2017, 08:54:12 PM »
You must have done two or three others as well to make it a 1400m day, unless it was just a long route over a lot of shoulders? Great shots as usual :thup:

That's one of the groups I never went on the higher fells of; the only ones I climbed were the two on that low spur you get to from the top of the pass between Buttermere and Little Town

« Reply #1363 on: Sunday 5 February 2017, 09:03:17 PM »
Cheers yeah I did go over others, that I have been on numerous times to make a walk of it.. Started Braithwaite up to Coledale Hause up Sand Hill, onto Hopegill head, along to Whiteside, back to Hopegill head and Coledale Hause, up onto Crag Hill, Sail and down to Outerside and Barrow before back to the car. 6 1/2 hrs.

OpenC

« Reply #1364 on: Saturday 11 February 2017, 05:24:32 PM »
A couple from a really outstanding day on Buachaille Etive Beag.  Was by myself and turned back at the ridge start due to the wind, but I had an amazing day anyway.  Almost perfect winter conditions with spindrift stinging the face and making it atmospheric.  Shame I didn't finish it off (and when I got to Point 902 at the start of the ridge, the cloud was over) but you don't always need a summit for a great walk.

Will post a video or two later on as well :)

« Reply #1365 on: Saturday 11 February 2017, 05:34:40 PM »
Wowza. :thup:

David Goldblatt

OpenC

« Reply #1366 on: Saturday 11 February 2017, 06:45:27 PM »

Not sure if these links work or not, posting from my phone. Will fix them later if they don't :)

« Reply #1367 on: Sunday 12 February 2017, 12:19:04 PM »
Looks good OC,better day than was had here. Just up for the day or did you stopover?

OpenC

« Reply #1368 on: Sunday 12 February 2017, 12:51:41 PM »
Just up and back.. out the door at 6, back at 4.30 so not too long a day really

David Goldblatt

« Reply #1370 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 02:10:04 PM »
Fellas I need your advice and recommendations, I'm planning another epic Scotland journey up the west coast (including Skye) in September, which will be a week long. The one I did a year or so ago was basically just driving and quick stops on the road to take a shot but this time the idea is to make it more about photography.

The plan is to find places of interest along the journey where we can park up, walk 30-45 (or 10!) minutes and get a great shot. Nothing potentially treacherous obviously  [emoji38]

Any suggestions?

OpenC

« Reply #1371 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 02:14:57 PM »

Yes :)

How do you feel about strenuous rather than treacherous?

« Reply #1372 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 02:17:02 PM »
I'm fine with that  O0

In fact I'd be ok with treacherous but the other people with me wouldn't be  [emoji38]

By the way, what do you use as far as software/app for creating a possible route, if you do at all?

OpenC

« Reply #1373 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 02:27:15 PM »

I really just use maps to work out what looks feasible and use software called Memory Map (which requires purchases of digital mapping) to gauge the feasibility in terms of distance and ascent.  It also has a fairly useful feature which folds the map into 3D to give you an idea of how the terrain actually looks.  You can obviously use Google Earth the same sort of way but I find the Memory Map approach much better for actually getting my head around how the landscape and map are related.

Walkhighlands has got a similar feature which will give you distances and estimates of ascent and descent but not the 3D view.

Will have a think about some routes; is it literally 45 minutes max from leaving the car to getting back?  There are still some tremendous places to go :)

« Reply #1374 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 02:37:52 PM »
I'll have a look at those map options, ta.

As for the walking time, nothing is set in stone. If something is THAT good it'll be given serious consideration and we'll plan the day/accommodation around it.