Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 91031 times)

Re: The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1600 on: Thursday 22 June 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
Some shots from a 2 1/2 day backpack , Braithwaite area,Buttermere, Styhead, Angle Tarn and Langstrath.

DSC01163

DSC01172

DSC01179

DSC01184

DSC01185

DSC01202

DSC01205

DSC01207

« Reply #1601 on: Tuesday 4 July 2017, 10:10:50 AM »
Some shots from around the Coniston area on Saturday. Weather looks a bit misleading. By 3pm it was wet and cloudy and by 5pm was raining heavily.

DSC01219

DSC01224

DSC01231

DSC01234

DSC01245

DSC01246

« Reply #1602 on: Tuesday 4 July 2017, 10:22:02 AM »
Great pictures.

OpenC

• You might still see them in the desert
« Reply #1603 on: Saturday 8 July 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
Aye, looks like a good one :thup:

Got up at 4AM to drive to Glen Callater today and knock off Carn an t-Saigert Mor, Carn Bannoch and Broad Cairn.  Arrived at quarter to nine and within ten minutes of setting off got told by a grumpy stalker/gamekeeper that he expected me to keep my dog on a lead for the eight hours it was going to take me.  I was stood on a bulldozed track through an ugly glen with no birds in and couldn't believe what I was hearing, so I used some language which is regrettable in one who has been so carefully brought up, and told him that I would rather be anywhere else than somewhere that people like him were driving fat rich f***ers around to shoot stuff.  I know it's how the highland economy operates, but there's no need to be a sneering, controlling c*** about it :lol:

Had enough of these f***ers tbh, they're as bad in the Cheviots and I can do without driving three hours to listen to their s**** (my dog is ironically a gundog and perfectly well-behaved; he didn't care).  So, as I was on the long but epic drive around by Tomintoul, and as I parked in the ski centre car park in the Northern Corries, and as I finally made my way up the Goat Track of Coire an t-Sneachda, which I've wanted to do for years and didn't because I've already ticked Cairn Gorm, I officially (for the second time, but this time for good I think) gave up on the Munros.  There are too many bad ones with too many w***** landowners, I like taking my dog and I'm not keeping her on a lead all day so they can get erect ordering people around :)  Glencoe, the proper Cairngorms, Ben Lawers, Ben Nevis are all within day reach for me.  Places like Torridon are always there for when I'm staying up there.  These places are all free of w***** landowners and coincidentally contain a significantly higher proportion of really great walks, so they will do me from now on.  Invercauld Estate can keep their crappy bulldozed glen and boggy sub-par Munros :lol:

Anyway, will try to do the pictures from the Goat Track and Cairn Gorm today, had a bloody great time.  Need bath and beer first, though :)

OpenC

« Reply #1604 on: Saturday 8 July 2017, 08:52:04 PM »
Just this for now :aww:

OpenC

« Reply #1605 on: Saturday 8 July 2017, 09:57:59 PM »
OK :)

Our very own lovely but humble Cheviots, looking back from Scotland in the early morning light

The path to Coire an t-Sneachda

Cairngorms Ambience (corrie level) including art shot I couldn't help taking

The Goat Path, up and down

Dude on the Fiacaill Ridge, next ascent along

Coire an t-Sneachda headwall

Approaching the top of the Goat Path, and looking back toward Cairn Gorm past the headwall

Cairngorms Ambience (plateau level)

Ben Macdui, second highest in the UK and NN989989 in case anyone ever wondered why that was my custom title :lol:

Art Shot #2

Cairn Gorm final ascent

Northern Corries rim

Mental dude who ditched his bike as soon as I took this, ran across and gave me his email address so I could send him the mementos :aww:

Cairn Gorm summit cairn, little dude approaching

Ran into the Cairngorms Reindeer on the way back down

Dozens of them

And they're not shy

Lola doesn't chase birds, she just stumbled across this one :)

Great day, absolutely loved it despite being on one of the most popular mountains in Scotland, and one disfigured by ski runs.  Pick a good route and you can have a great day :)

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #1606 on: Saturday 8 July 2017, 10:06:24 PM »
Awesome pics. :thup:

OpenC

« Reply #1607 on: Saturday 8 July 2017, 10:26:03 PM »
Thanks man :thup:

« Reply #1608 on: Sunday 9 July 2017, 07:42:44 AM »
Just off the phone these photos like but some Hadrians Wall photos...

OpenC

« Reply #1609 on: Sunday 9 July 2017, 09:51:07 AM »

Keep meaning to have a walk on Hadrian's Wall but Scotland is always too tempting.  Looks good, though :thup:  Will get there eventually I reckon

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #1610 on: Sunday 9 July 2017, 11:12:00 AM »

OpenC

« Reply #1611 on: Sunday 9 July 2017, 11:35:02 AM »
Aye, was hearing about that earlier. Don't see it myself like, but can't blame them for having a(nother) go at it

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #1612 on: Sunday 9 July 2017, 05:13:45 PM »

OpenC

« Reply #1613 on: Sunday 9 July 2017, 05:47:33 PM »

I don't think it's quite on the level of Machu Picchu tbf, but when put in the context of other UK places already on the list being Durham Cathedral and "the city of Bath", then fair enough :lol:

« Reply #1614 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
Bit of a rant that OC. Quite surprised at the attitude of the estate worker. Reminds me of the estates around Blanchland area, hostility from the outset. I've walked up from Callater in the stalking season and been passed by estate vehicles and not a word said. Shame you didn't get onto "taggart" its a good viewpoint for Lochnagar and the corries. I can post a picture if you want!

Don't let the attitude of one person put you off, particular there, I've stayed at the bothy further up and they couldn't be more welcoming

OpenC

« Reply #1615 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
Like I say, I was more irritated at the idea that we were worrying grouse on his bulldozed track, or that anybody was going to be climbing to the summits to shoot.  I don't mind keeping away from stalking routes but I know perfectly how they work, and it's bullshit to insist on keeping a dog on a lead for the entire day.  I know that people tell similar stories around Moruisg and the horseshoe, the name of which I forget, next to Schiehallion.

Which bothy is up there?  There's a lodge on the map which I assumed was either still active or abandoned and boarded up like Derry Lodge.

Going to have some time to think about how I'm going to proceed.. I've sort of reconciled myself to the idea of just climbing the good mountains and ditching the likes of An Sgarsoch and Carn Fhidleir (or whatever it's called) tbh :lol:

« Reply #1616 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
The bothy is next to the lodge.( which is actually a cottage not some grand lodge)

When I think about it, I wonder if it was the gamekeeper who lives in the lodge that you spoke to. He invited me into the lodge for a whisky when I was there. He has legendary status amongst the TGO challengers, welcome them every year and gets an invite to the dinners. Be surprised if it was him but there's only him in the glen 

OpenC

« Reply #1617 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 04:17:28 PM »

Was just some young dude in a t-shirt and and Invercauld Estate vehicle, I don't think it was the keeper/stalker.

« Reply #1618 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 04:21:56 PM »
Definitely not then. the gamekeeper is in 60,s. Called Bill if I remember right. If you up that way again you might see him up on the slopes, him and his mate with white horses.

« Reply #1619 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 05:40:55 PM »
What exactly does this world heritage craic mean? What will change?  They're already strict as hell on stuff like new builds, can't imagine things even stricter.

OpenC

« Reply #1620 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 05:53:35 PM »
Yeah, I can't imagine it's particularly great news for you guys who live there tbh, unless you're in the tourist trade.  Not sure it'll count for anything in terms of policy that isn't already controlled by national park status, but it'll just make your roads even busier I guess.  Only new buildings I ever remember seeing in the lakes were on that little road through St John's in the Vale that bypasses Keswick and heads toward Dunmail Raise.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #1621 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 10:18:43 PM »

« Reply #1622 on: Friday 14 July 2017, 04:15:07 AM »

Went for a walk in the woods the other day.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

OpenC

« Reply #1623 on: Sunday 16 July 2017, 08:44:14 PM »
Nice :thup:  I worry about walking in the woods, because they tend to look the same in all directions (much like a misted out mountain, but permanently).

Simonside today.  It's not the Cairngorms but I love it :)

« Reply #1624 on: Tuesday 5 September 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
Just recently completed The Hebridean Way, a 155 mile backpack 22/08 to 31/08/2017 from Vatersay to Stornoway. Here's a few pics.

DSC01469

DSC01514

DSC01565

DSC01574

DSC01612