Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 72315 times)

OpenC

• NN953999
The Great Outdoors
« on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
We don't seem to have a walking or outdoors stuff thread, and I find myself in need of wild camping advice.  I love my walking in Scotland, but I hate staying in hotels and B&Bs so I've equipped myself with a tent and sleeping bag and am intending to head up in the next few days to try out the wild camping experience.

I've never done it before, though, and I've got no idea how it works.  So..

1. Can you just pitch up anywhere you like in Scotland?  Or do you officially have to park up somewhere then take the tent away from the road?  Don't want to get moved on in the middle of the night.  I don't intend to light any fires or make any noise, just have a sleep and be away by seven bells the next morning.
2. More importantly, can anybody recommend anywhere within about an hour of Fort William, North or South (or East), to pull over and pitch?  I'll be going up via Callander, Lochearnhead and Crianlarich, but could go the Perth/Crieff way if it helps.  Glen Etive before Glen Coe looks OK, but it always seems to be already full of tents by the time I get there.

Cheers :)

<predicts zero responses>
« Last Edit: Sunday 25 January 2015, 09:03:49 PM by OpenC »

Re: Wild Camping and The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 04:46:34 PM »
tried starting threads like this before- they are lost on these townies.

hoping to get away with the boy sometime soon, but im taking camper conversion on a site, - was thinking of wild camping for a night when we all stay in the lakes- cottage or caravan in school holidays. I was planning on a night on the beaches of Ullswater.

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 05:10:35 PM »
The only camping I've done recently was in the middle of winter up at Kielder for an astro-imaging get together. Everything had a layer of frost over it but continued to work. I was warm enough with all my layers.

Anyone know of a quality tent which is pretty warm? Preferably spacious.

Can't answer any of your Qs, Open_C :(
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
Nee idea, but planning on doing some camping this summer too.

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
Would love to try this; like the idea of stealth camping.
Of course. I've been grooming Pedro for ages just to get a crack at that starfish.

Dokko

• TT
  • Howay you robot radgies
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:19:01 PM »
Will be out camping in the near future but at a campsite with wor lass. Would to wild camp, totally in the wilderness, bet it's s great feeling.

Dokko

• TT
  • Howay you robot radgies
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
Tell you what, instead of meets in the pub, a N-O camping weekend would be great. Beers, badly burned food and football, would be ace, maybe even some fishing.

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:27:02 PM »

I can't wait to be honest.  Although the dogs will be a f***ing nuisance, I expect.  Nowt quite so noisy as dog feet on tent groundsheet when you're trying to sleep >_< 

Midges, though :(  They tend to take the edge off things at this time of year.

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:31:31 PM »
This is something I'd love to do when I pass my driving test, I bet it'd be a great/slightly terrifying experience :D

Where abouts in Scotland do you go walking C?

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:34:55 PM »

I've been all over the place.. at the minute, I'm confining my operations to around Fort William but when I have more time I like to get up toward Torridon way.. Liathach, Slioch, An Teallach.. proper mountains which you just don't find the likes of anywhere else in this country :)

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:40:50 PM »
How many miles would you cover in a days walking?
Of course. I've been grooming Pedro for ages just to get a crack at that starfish.

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:44:39 PM »
Depends how high the mountains are :)  Just walking, it's easy enough to do 20-30 miles in a day or thereabouts.  Including hills and mountains makes it more awkward..

Ben Nevis the usual way is about 16km and 1300 metres of climbing.  Not sure what that is in miles.. about ten?  In the Cheviots I usually do about 22km and about the same climbing as Ben Nevis.  So maybe fifteen miles or so?  If I was just out for a walk, that's what I would be looking to do, in a leisurely six to seven hours or so.  

If I was having to carry a tent, sleeping bag and enough food for me and two dogs for two days (at least), I probably wouldn't get quite so far, though :)

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:46:34 PM »
Tell you what, instead of meets in the pub, a N-O camping weekend would be great. Beers, badly burned food and football, would be ace, maybe even some fishing.

football hippies ftw.

« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
Depends how high the mountains are :)  Just walking, it's easy enough to do 20-30 miles in a day or thereabouts.  Including hills and mountains makes it more awkward..

Ben Nevis the usual way is about 16km and 1300 metres of climbing.  Not sure what that is in miles.. about ten?  In the Cheviots I usually do about 22km and about the same climbing as Ben Nevis.  So maybe fifteen miles or so?  If I was just out for a walk, that's what I would be looking to do, in a leisurely six to seven hours or so. 

If I was having to carry a tent, sleeping bag and enough food for me and two dogs for two days (at least), I probably wouldn't get quite so far, though :)

I've never been walking before so you could pretty much walk all day without bumping into anyone? Is it possible to get lost?

Knowing my luck I'd walk 20 miles and then fall down a pothole and break my ankle :lol:

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 07:59:10 PM »
In Scotland and the Lakes you're unlikely to walk too far without seeing somebody else unless you're well off the beaten track.  In the Cheviots, I can walk for eight hours and not see another soul, which is f***ing class :)  If you don't have maps, compass or GPS and the ability to use them, it's all too easy to get lost.. particularly if you're on a rocky, stony mountain and your view extends thirty yards in each direction and it all looks the same :)

...in each direction can quickly lead to...

The broken ankle thing is a genuine concern.  Of course, you can always drink your own p*ss.

« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:02:52 PM »
f***ing hell  :kasper:

Think I'll stick to camping in the garden.

« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:05:10 PM »
By the way, genuine :lol: moment.

The broken ankle thing is a genuine concern.  Of course, you can always drink your own p*ss.

« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:05:45 PM »
on the subject of broken ankles, i climbed catbells lasy year while still on crutches for multiple ankle break, did it because the surgeon and physios said it was impossible, damn near was.

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
Catbells is a rocky little f***er toward the top, particularly from the North.. can't imagine doing it on crutches >_<

Not easy, like :)

« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:11:24 PM »

Catbells is a rocky little f***er toward the top, particularly from the North.. can't imagine doing it on crutches >_<

its a canny scramble, some proper climbing there like- left the crutches in the car used walking poles, was still having to stop and wait for the mrs even on one leg. :lol:  my boy was canny scared by some of the climbing- really enjoyed it- never wanted to climb it before as thought it was too small, just for begginers etc- but really did enjoy that hill.

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
Yeah, it's a great little mountain.  My lass wanted to do it because it was little, but she was f***ing terrified on that bit up the page :)  There's nothing as hard as that on most of the routes up Scafell Pike, Bowfell, Blencathra, Great Gable, etc etc :)

Have you tried Haystacks (from Scarth Gap, not around the other way)?  Same sort of thing but even better tbh.  Wainwright knew what he was doing to pick it as his favourite.

« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:19:52 PM »

Yeah, it's a great little mountain.  My lass wanted to do it because it was little, but she was f***ing terrified on that bit up the page :)  There's nothing as hard as that on most of the routes up Scafell Pike, Bowfell, Blencathra, Great Gable, etc etc :)

Have you tried Haystacks?  Same sort of thing but even better tbh.  Wainwright knew what he was doing to pick it as his favourite.

not been there will have a look, im hoping to do High street from Barton fell soon because that is the least steep route from where we camp at pooley bridge, think its about 20mile round trip- taking the boy - we tried to get to high street from patterdale last year but turned back at angle tarn, cos the kid was soaked through to his skin,  love High Street. if i can it will be the third time ive been there.
Gonna check it out for moutain biking- think thats the way Im going due to ongoing ankle probs.

Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:41:15 PM »
f***ing hell  :kasper:

Think I'll stick to camping in the garden.

:lol:
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 08:59:17 PM »

Getting lost for hours and potentially falling off a 450 metre cliff in the mist is part of the attraction, man

>_<

« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 June 2011, 10:10:39 PM »
Done loads of wild camping in a motorhome, only had one bad experience with a load of chavs up in Scotland at Mennock Pass...

Tent wise, i would try and keep it out of site.