Football in pubs: North East pubs facing foreign channel crackdown

Guest neesy111

Guest neesy111
Premier League TV football choice 'upheld' by EU advice

Broadcasters cannot stop customers using cheaper foreign satellite TV equipment to watch Premier League football, an EU legal adviser has said.

A non-binding opinion from advocate Juliane Kokott of the European Court of Justice said a block breached EU laws.

Portsmouth pub landlady Karen Murphy, fined for using Greek decoders, had argued the EU single market should let her use any European provider.

Sky has the exclusive broadcast rights for Premier League football in the UK.

The satellite broadcaster has pumped billions into top flight English football since the league was founded in 1992, with the money given to clubs allowing them to buy some of the top names in the world.

'Contrary to EU law'

The case at the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has been about whether a rights holder such as the Premier League can license its content on a country-by-country basis.

Such a set-up has allowing the league to fully maximise the value of its rights.

Although Advocate General Kokott's opinion is not binding, judges usually follow the guidance from the advocate.

If they do, selling sport, movies, or any other content, on an exclusive territory-by-territory basis within the EU may no longer be possible.

"The exclusivity agreement relating to transmission of football matches are contrary to European Union law," she said in her opinion.

"(The) exclusivity rights in question have the effect of partitioning the internal market into quite separate national markets, something which constitutes a serious impairment of the freedom to provide services."

Fined

Ms Murphy had been convicted for using the cheaper Greek satellite receiver to show top flight football in her pub.

She used the Nova firm to show matches in the Red, White and Blue pub in Portsmouth as it was less expensive than Sky.

Enforcers working on behalf of Football Association Premier League Limited (FAPL) - the private company which represents the broadcasting interests of the 20 English Premier League clubs - brought the prosecution saying only Sky TV had exclusive rights to show its games in the UK.

She had to pay nearly £8,000 in fines and costs.

Brussels pressure

The Premier League's current deal with Sky is worth nearly £2bn - money the league argues is invested in maintaining the quality of the product.

Industry experts say satellite companies face having to reform - leading possibly to the creation of just a handful of pan-European broadcasters.

It was pressure from Brussels which forced the Premier League to offer its live matches to more then one broadcaster, rather then just renew the exclusive deals it traditionally had with Sky.

Packages were consequently taken up by Setanta, and when they went bust, by ESPN.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12355022

A judgement I wasn't expecting.

Interesting, not sure whether this is a good or bad thing. I can imagine the UK market is worth more than the market for the rest of the EU combined so I can see them being willing not to sell off the rights to other countries, so may have very little impact on the UK but could prevent many other EU countries from seeing the games

Guest neesy111

Not a judgement, is it?  Just the opinion of some EU adviser?

As it says though, the judges usually follow the opinion of EU advisor's on case's like these.

That's just an opinion of a court member, still a long way to be an established doctrine.

In the long run, if this stood, I guess it'd lead to a depreciation of the rights due to competition (I'd actually be glad to see less TV money poured into football to be frank).

In an ideal pure market, Sky would end up owning the rights for the entire EU themselves in order to avoid competition, but it'd be impossible to exploit them given that they can't set up an European ESPN given the lack of an unified TV market.

Some way to go, but sounds like the first good news of the week to me !

Stalker - I don't know the actual figures but I wouldn't be so sure the UK market is so much bigger ??  They're nuts about the game in Germany too and have a very healthy competitive league, a very comprehensive TV product and a bigger population and economy as well. Even smaller countries like Greece have huge TV audiences for their domestic fixtures.

I hate the Sky propoganda "The Premier League's current deal with Sky is worth nearly £2bn - money the league argues is invested in maintaining the quality of the product"

our league was more exciting 10 or even 20 years ago than it is today, it just wasn't any where near as much hyped. Sky's money and therefore domination of the game has been bad for most real football fans.

Not shaping up to be a great year for Murdoch so far. ;D

Guest neesy111

That's just an opinion of a court member, still a long way to be an established doctrine.

In the long run, if this stood, I guess it'd lead to a depreciation of the rights due to competition (I'd actually be glad to see less TV money poured into football to be frank).

In an ideal pure market, Sky would end up owning the rights for the entire EU themselves in order to avoid competition, but it'd be impossible to exploit them given that they can't set up an European ESPN given the lack of an unified TV market.

The EU wouldn't allow Sky to have the full rights to EU.  They are not even allowed it in the UK.  ESPN have the sixth of 6 packages.

I think just about most football fans would like less money in the game.

The EU wouldn't allow Sky to have the full rights to EU.  They are not even allowed it in the UK.  ESPN have the sixth of 6 packages.

I think just about most football fans would like less money in the game.

Yeah I know, that's why I said it would be impossible in our fragmented market.

Guest Roger Kint

Already a thread tbh

Edit: Admin :angry: ;D

Ok there was already a thread - but why the f*** does it bother you to reply like that? Does it generally have such an effect on your whole life and reason for living if someone posts a duplicate thread?

I assume you are crying over the edit part? If so then maybe you should have noticed the threads got merged as i posted it HENCE the edit or was that too obvious for you?

Already a thread tbh

Edit: Admin :angry: ;D

Ok there was already a thread - but why the f*** does it bother you to reply like that? Does it generally have such an effect on your whole life and reason for living if someone posts a duplicate thread?

I assume you are crying over the edit part? If so then maybe you should have noticed the threads got merged as i posted it HENCE the edit or was that too obvious for you?

I have no problem with merging.

Stalker - I don't know the actual figures but I wouldn't be so sure the UK market is so much bigger ??  They're nuts about the game in Germany too and have a very healthy competitive league, a very comprehensive TV product and a bigger population and economy as well. Even smaller countries like Greece have huge TV audiences for their domestic fixtures.

I hate the Sky propoganda "The Premier League's current deal with Sky is worth nearly £2bn - money the league argues is invested in maintaining the quality of the product"

our league was more exciting 10 or even 20 years ago than it is today, it just wasn't any where near as much hyped. Sky's money and therefore domination of the game has been bad for most real football fans.

Sorry think you misunderstood what I said, I meant the market for premier league football only, wasn't saying anything about the domestic leagues and their tv following elsewhere.

In principle, too f*cking right. How is it right that Sky can use cheap foreign labour to serve the customer, yet the customer cannot use cheap foreign TV. It should be global markets for all, not just the business side. Sky want their cake and eat it.

Sadly, I can see this backfiring, with Sky buying out numerous foreign TV rights to clamp down and then passing the cost on to the customer.

Guest neesy111

Are these foreign systems cheaper for ordinary consumers, or just for pubs because they get charged so much by Sky?

Or is the issue more about showing games that aren't on in the UK?

Both.

For pubs it is much cheaper.  I've been told around £80 a month it is for the systems.  While sky charge at least £3000 a year and in some pubs ask for a taking of the profits made during live games.

They also show the 3pm kick off's as well.

Are these foreign systems cheaper for ordinary consumers, or just for pubs because they get charged so much by Sky?

Both.

For pubs it is much cheaper.  I've been told around £80 a month it is for the systems.  While sky charge at least £3000 a year and in some pubs ask for a taking of the profits made during live games.

OK, I need to look into getting hooked up with this shizz.

Guest neesy111

Both.

For pubs it is much cheaper.  I've been told around £80 a month it is for the systems.  While sky charge at least £3000 a year and in some pubs ask for a taking of the profits made during live games.

OK, I need to look into getting hooked up with this shizz.

Standard Dish pointed to appropriate satelites with box that accepts greek smartcards.  Getting the smartcard is the problem, you need to be a greek resident to get one.  As always they are ways round it.

Stalker - I don't know the actual figures but I wouldn't be so sure the UK market is so much bigger ??  They're nuts about the game in Germany too and have a very healthy competitive league, a very comprehensive TV product and a bigger population and economy as well. Even smaller countries like Greece have huge TV audiences for their domestic fixtures.

Sorry think you misunderstood what I said, I meant the market for premier league football only, wasn't saying anything about the domestic leagues and their tv following elsewhere.

Ah gotcha. My mistake  :blush:

Both.

£3000 a year???

Try £3000 a month and you'll be a bit closer. This has the potential to blow football's gravy train apart. About time, hope it does.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How does this effect internet streaming? Does this mean we could legally subscribe to stream from other, cheaper, countries in EU? (If passed).