Nat Lofthouse

Dave

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1004~2268038,00.html

Nat Lofthouse OBE

Posted on: Sat 15 Jan 2011

It is with great sadness and deep regret that Bolton Wanderers Football Club announce that Nat Lofthouse OBE has passed away, aged 85.

Nat died peacefully in his sleep at his nursing home in Bolton on Saturday night.

Chairman Phil Gartside said: "On behalf of everyone at Bolton Wanderers Football Club, I would like to extend our deepest condolences to Nat's family, who are very much in our thoughts at this time.

"Nat undoubtedly is a Bolton Wanderers legend. He was a one-club man and our football club meant as much to him as he did to us.

"We will miss him but we will celebrate his life, his legacy and great times that he brought to Bolton Wanderers."

Nat, who was voted the club's greatest ever player in a poll conducted in 2006, amassed over 450 appearances in the Bolton Wanderers shirt, scoring 255 goals between the years of 1946 and 1960.

On the international stage, he proudly represented England on 33 occasions, scoring 30 goals.

After hanging up his boots, he continued his association with the club by occupying a variety of different positions including chief coach, chief scout, caretaker manager and club president, in which he remained up until passing away.

:(

Guest neesy111

Probably have heard the name, but knew nothing of his past etc which I find very strange for someone that is quite anal with football history and that. :(

Guest neesy111

RIP

A fantastic record.

Surprised you've never heard the name, Neesy. No sarcasm...just surprised. I have to admit, though...I thought he'd passed away ages ago.

Very surprised myself.

Lofthouse was a great CF - as billytray says, 'The Lion of Vienna' after his great performance against what looked like a really good Austrian side.

In many ways, a bit like Andy Carroll - typical English CF with great physical strength as well as being a decent footballer.

Gave great service to Bolton and was their equivalent of Jackie Milburn as they both played in the same era.

RIP Nat

RIP. Love seeing clips of Nat Lofthouse, football was a lot more fun when forwards were allowed barge keepers into the net WWF style.