Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Panorama 'exposé' looks to have backfired on us. Plus old affiliations are coming to the service of other potential hosts with other committee members voting for their historical countries (South America linking with Spain/Portugal for example). Old World Politics hates Great Britain.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It's bollocks how it's all based on buttering up FIFA and gaining political votes rather than actually being prepared to host a World Cup.

:thup:

That's what the Panorama Investigation was about in 2006: http://www.avforums.com/forums/sport/355954-panorama-fifa-corruption.html

http://www.asiaing.com/foul-the-secret-world-of-fifa-bribes-vote-rigging-and-ticket-scandal.html

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'd be less fussed if we lost it due to lack of merit/ability/planning rather than some potential backroom politics going on. Though I'd love to see some International football at SJP again.

at the end of the day we invented the modern game and the following have all seen it in their country more than once, and therefore more than us:

germany (inc. west)

brazil (inc next one)

france

italy

mexico (twice in 16 years)

it's bollocks, time to send it to england thanks

Honestly though, I don't think there's much between England and Spain's bids regarding infrastructure, stadia, etc...

Well, England are trying to get it by themselves and not hold it in partnership with Wales or Scotland.

That's 36 years when 2018 comes, hardly yesterday. Mind, I think it's getting to the point where England should host one, but I obviously want this one in Spain :)

52 Years since we've held one is a bit worse than that. 

It's easy to be glib when you are in the driving seat and the most likeley to get it, but I honestly don't think that I'll see a World Cup held in this country in my lifetime and that's pretty fucking depressing.

I'm not that sure we'll get it, for some reason I keep dreading it's gonna be Russia. Heck, you still have CONCACAF's votes sewn up, and it's almost as strong as CONMEBOL inside the committee.

I will, however, tell my Portuguese friends that they are the Wales of Spain.