How far can 'this group of lads' take us?

Optimistic Nut

Quarter of the season gone, 7th in the league, top scorer in the league, potential future England number 9 etc. Are we overachieving at the moment or is this our level? Looking at that starting eleven I think individually the players on the whole are of top 10 ability (Jose. Colo, Barton, Tiote, Nolan, Jonas and Carroll especially), and don't see any reason why we shouldn't be looking at upper mid table if that nucleus stays fit.

I think we've found out best eleven, and best formation. It's not the prettiest football, but we do present a goal threat.

I could see us finishing in our current position, but that's providing we can keep Barton and Tiote fit for most of the season. We don't have back-up for what they contribute to the team.

Yesterday will have also have shown us how to win at home - plenty of aggression. We have home advantage, use it.

"This group of lads" like any "group of lads" can take us anywhere, its all about knowing how to play togther, i thought our team that got relegated was MUCH better than this one but they just didn't know how to click togther, this team is decent and they seem to really do well when they click however when they switch off its disastrious, its all up to Chris really to make them produce the same performance week in week out.

I can't even contemplate it until we've seen them do this a few times.

Our form is just too erratic to say where we'll finish. I reckon it'll be clearer by Christmas.

I will say one thing though. When on-form and all playing together with 100% effort, that team yesterday can beat anyone in the league IMO.

I can't even contemplate it until we've seen them do this a few times.

Our form is just too erratic to say where we'll finish. I reckon it'll be clearer by Christmas.

I will say one thing though. When on-form and all playing together with 100% effort, that team yesterday can beat anyone in the league IMO.

To early to tell....... we need to compete with bigger better teams than the ones we have beaten so far this season.

We'll find out next Sunday.

Indeed we will... massive test for us.

Arguably our biggest test so far. Let's just hope the referee stays out of this one.

I've said before the season we would finish in the top half. After those defeats to Blackpool, Stoke and draw against Wigan I thought we would be in relegation trouble.

Not too sure what to think now tbh, but I really hope that with a bit consistency and no injuries to our key players (without counting Harper and Ben Arfa) we can finish in the top half which would be absolutely brilliant.

I would have been happy with staying up before yesterday but I think we can challenge for a top 10 place. Yes we will get beat a few times but I think a lot of sides will have problems playing against Carroll and Shola, and we finally seem to have got a functional midfield behind them.

To early to tell....... we need to compete with bigger better teams than the ones we have beaten so far this season.

We'll find out next Sunday.

I fear a tonking, however Arsenal are away to Shaktar Donesk on wednesday in the CL so hopefully that long journey and game will leave them a bit jaded on sunday.

Potentially we can finish in the top 10, however that is our potential. At this point I would still be happy with staying up, I would like to see us have atleast 20-25 points by the time xmas and the new year comes around which should put us in a decent position and maybe then can we build up something.

Guest palnese

If we can keep our most important players fit, and by that I mean pretty much our entire starting XI from yesterday, we will finish midtable. I still have my doubts, as this afterall is Newcastle United we're talking about.

I think we'll finish somewhere between 16th and 12th. The squad has no depth and even the starting eleven has some glaring weaknesses. The likes of Shola, Nolan, Barton, etc, have not shown an ability to maintain a high level over the course of a long season for quite some time. Right now, things are good, but two weeks ago they were bad. Everything is fragile and at some point it will collapse. It is a question of how quickly we can build it back up.

To be fair, if everything had gone for us this season with decisions, injuries etc we could have a few more points on the board. But then again, an injury to Carroll/Nolan/Colocinni and we would probably have a few less.

My feeling is that we'll finish lower than we are now, around 12th-15th, which would be more than good enough.

If we stay up, and go about it in a way that doesn't leave us shitting ourselves for the last couple of months, it will have been a great season and we can kick on from there.