Referees - Psychological Slavery

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

There's a long history in Italy of Referees being corrupt either openly through accepting bribes, or without knowing it by favouring big teams - this is called Pyschological Slavery. A fear of wronging the bigger popular team and appearing as a bad ref, and no longer getting to ref the bigger games (thus increasing your own reputation and pay).

Of course, as we all know now, in 2006 Italian football was opened up with the match fixing affair centred around Juventus' powerman, Moggi, who had direct control over the referees - Moggi-Gate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moggi-gate). I'm not suggesting anything like that has happened in the English Premier League, but there is certainly a case of Refs favouring the bigger teams, namely those with a high reputation and pushing for Europe.

The book 'Calcio', which chronicles the development of Italian Football, goes into a bit of detail about this in a section called Psychological Slavery, and all the tell tale signs are currently present in the Premier League that something similar is currently happening.

Here is a snippet from a Soccer News article, April 25, 1998 - sound familiar?

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/1998/04/28/phead.htm

"Ceccarini was the only person in the world not to have seen the penalty and how come that referee at Empoli did not see the ball cross the line. It's really very worrying," he said.

One answer may lie in the way in which Italian referees are appointed for matches. Unlike other European countries, Serie A hand-picks its referees.

After Rodomonti's error against Empoli, it was discovered that the referee had directed only three Juventus matches in three years after making a mistake that had cost the reigning champions a goal in a 1994 match.

"It's fair to ask if Rodomonti was not conditioned by what happened to him in 1994," said Giorgio Tosatti, an Italian soccer commentator. Perhaps he was afraid of repeating the same mistake and paying the consequences."

"I have no choice but to believe that referees have a complex," said Inter president, Massimo Moratti.

"They don't do this on purpose. It's a habit. They are afraid of hurting Juventus. It's the rule, not an exception."

"There is a kind of virus that infects our referees: call it psychological slavery," added Gazzetta dello Sport.

However, Sunday's scapegoat, Ceccarini, brushed off the accusations.

"For me, it was a straightforward match," he said. "Mistakes? We're all human, we all make errors."

Italian soccer fans have long claimed that Juventus, owned by the powerful Agnelli dynasty, hold a Machaevellian grip on the destiny of the Serie A championship.

They're not corrupt, they're just rubbish.

rubbish that always favours the big sides?

thats beyond rubbish its corrupt

Oh I agree that the 'top' clubs get the rub of the green, but that's different to them being paid off etc as some are suggesting.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Oh I agree that the 'top' clubs get the rub of the green, but that's different to them being paid off etc as some are suggesting.

They may not directly be accepting bribes, however, you've got to wondering if in the back of their minds they're wondering about their long term prospects of going against the bigger teams. Which would affect their career/pay. You have a bad game against Chelsea/Man U, etc and Ferguson lets everyone know about it, its going to affect your reputation.

You'll no longer get the bigger games, you'll not be seen as a top ref, chances are you'll be 'demoted'. It all affects your pay. Where as if you give the decisions, and people don't say anything, or say 'yes well done', you'll climb the ladder and get the bigger games and make the international list. More money.

No it's definitely corrupt in my eyes. No way he could be in the position he was and miss the foul on Ameobi. Didn't even give a free kick for the leg breaking scissor kick by De Jong either.

They may not directly be accepting bribes, however, you've got to wondering if in the back of their minds they're wondering about their long term prospects of going against the bigger teams. Which would affect their career/pay. You have a bad game against Chelsea/Man U, etc and Ferguson lets everyone know about it, its going to affect your reputation.

You'll no longer get the bigger games, you'll not be seen as a top ref, chances are you'll be 'demoted'. It all affects your pay. Where as if you give the decisions, and people don't say anything, or say 'yes well done', you'll climb the ladder and get the bigger games and make the international list. More money.

dont even think it's that, it's more given a choice between a national personality and a nobody, who should he trust ?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

dont even think it's that, it's more given a choice between a national personality and a nobody, who should he trust ?

Yeah, easier way to put it. Still giving in to the reputation rather than the correct decision. Think there's a bit more about reputation playing a part in ref decisions in the book 'Why England Lose', think I'll have to have another read.

End of thread.

In addition to this it is also clear that the refs are swayed by reactions from home crowds, are scared of making decisions against bigger teams and are scared of managers with bigger profiles. It's embarrassing really. They're just all such spineless, feeble exampleas of the male species. No authority, no backbone, just so limp. Howard Webb for example, isn't perfect, but he at least exudes some confidence and authority. The majority are just so lame, and it's why they get pushed around and abused so often.

At times I just feel terrible that I'm so devoted to a game that can be very easily decided by the whims (or corruption, or incompetence, or whatever) of one man who has nothing to do with events on the pitch.

They should just not bother with referees and have someone making random decisions. Would get more decisions right than they currently do.

Sack them all and replace them with robots. I'd rather have goal line technology, video reviews, and all the other scary technology that FIFA swears will destroy the game than the bent group of idiots we have right now.

At times I just feel terrible that I'm so devoted to a game that can be very easily decided by the whims (or corruption, or incompetence, or whatever) of one man who has nothing to do with events on the pitch.

:lol:

I kind of know what you mean. As soon as I start getting too annoyed I instantly go into recovery mode i.e. "Oh well these people are all very wealthy and well off, and sure as hell aren't paying my bills. F*** them all"

I don't know if they're corrupt or just s*** at their jobs, it would be interesting to know if anyone at the FA is keeping a serious eye on them though.

Well you can't speak up against referees without getting fines/bans so they won't feel they have to do anything about the continual terrible refereeing performances.