RE: YouTube Clips, Internet Streams, Copyrighted Football-Related Media

Andy

Areet pets? Just a quick note regarding the stuff in the thread title...

Over the last few weeks there has been an increase in the posting of copyrighted media, in particular football clips from YouTube. This MUST stop. Our site attracts attention from a lot of people involved in the game, including (but not limited to) the press and the players. It is pretty likely that employees of the league's governing body visit the site from time to time as well.

Football clips are the property of both the F.A. and the original broadcaster and must not be reposted due to the (admittedly minor) risk that legal action could be taken against the site as a result— it has happened in the past to other websites and it will happen again. Please read the forum rules regarding this issue (linked below) and adhere to them to the best of your ability.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,19161.0.html

For a further explanation of the rule, see here:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,32325.0.html

Ta.

Is it time to review the rules regarding posting youtube videos? If youtube itself isn't approached by the rights owners of those videos - the broadcasters in foreign countries or the Premier League - then surely this site shouldn't get into trouble for posting those videos?

Obviously there are some clips that youtube eventually removes because it breaks their copyright rules or whatever, but that implies that the videos they don't remove aren't breaking any copyright rules, hence they should be allowed to be posted, no?

Is it time to review the rules regarding posting youtube videos? If youtube itself isn't approached by the rights owners of those videos - the broadcasters in foreign countries or the Premier League - then surely this site shouldn't get into trouble for posting those videos?

Obviously there are some clips that youtube eventually removes because it breaks their copyright rules or whatever, but that implies that the videos they don't remove aren't breaking any copyright rules, hence they should be allowed to be posted, no?

In theory, you're not wrong, but I think the general opinion is that it's not worth the risk.

In theory, you're not wrong, but I think the general opinion is that it's not worth the risk.

It's a shame because obviously football clips/highlights really help with discussion and debate.

I know a few other football sites who allow posting highlights from matches but ban clips of players because those clips usually contain lots of highlights downloaded from different broadcasters and those are usually the clips that get in trouble. But highlights of matches that have been broadcasted by some Middle-Eastern country should be fine since they're all allowed on youtube. IMO of course.

Guest firetotheworks

Andy, I have a question.

Do you like the show Arrested Development?

What's that? I've never heard of it.

It's an American TV Show that you absolutely need to have in your life. Seriously.

No it doesn't, it implies that the copyright holder has not noticed them yet.

The difference between us and youtube is that youtube is owned by the multi-billion dollar company google - you might have heard of them - and we are owned by... well kinda no-one, but for the purpose of this sentence let's say the multi-... erm... -limbed Dave. The difference is that google can afford to employ a team of highly-paid shyster lawyers, a la Mr Burns of The Simpsons fame, whereas Dave, despite all his limbs and his undisputed rule of t'internet, can only afford to employ Injury Lawyers 4 U. So unless the site getting closed down (again) causes Dave some form of physical injury - a trip or fall, perhaps? - which to be honest is actually pretty likely, then we'd be screwed. So whilst they can deal with this in a retrospective manner and wait to be informed by the copyright holder before removing the clip, we can't because the way we'd get informed would be when we logged into the site and there was nothing there, like the last time. Anyway, this rule has been there for years, it's common knowledge that we're all evil Nazis who ban people at the drop of a hat and I'd have thought people would have got bored of trying to fight against all that by now. ;)

But you're not hosting the videos, though. So you shouldn't get into trouble unless someone from the Premier League really have it in for you.

Perhaps you should tell that to the Premier League, because they don't seem to care. When you've won the argument with them let us know and we'll change the rule, until then it stays, end of debate. Sorry.

If youtube was so cautious about links being posted and copyrights being infringed they wouldnt have allowed embedding on forums, surely?

I've just explained why they don't have to be cautious and why we do.

I too enjoy arguing with brick walls.

:lol:

If only everyone would use the same logic. Reinhold Niebuhr knows what he's on about:

God, grant me the serenity

To accept the things I cannot change;

Courage to change the things I can;

And wisdom to know the difference.

Guest neesy111

can't you just disable embedding of videos on the forum!

just a question as well, how are music videos allowed as i'm guessing a few of them must be unauthorized, or is it because we don't get music organizations look at the forum?

Someone mentioned the fact that if they were allowed we'd have a heap of threads about "OMG look at this goal" or "remember these days". I have to say I agree with this completly. All you see on oasis forums is "Liam's voice was great at this gig" or "this random gig from South America in 2009 shows Liam's voice is not as bad as we say" and shit like that. That's what we would get here (well obviously we won't be discussing Liam Gallagher's voice) but we'll get a load of shit threads. Plus with potential legal reasons we're better off with the blanket bans. The mods are tough but this is easily the best run forum I've been on  :hom:

can't you just disable embedding of videos on the forum!

just a question as well, how are music videos allowed as i'm guessing a few of them must be unauthorized, or is it because we don't get music organizations look at the forum?

You have to consider the welfare of thegreatNUFCswindle. What would happen?