UKIP
6 (6.5%)
Other
5 (5.4%)
Ineligible/Abstention
12 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: Wednesday 8 April 2015, 02:52:42 PM

Author Topic: UK Politics - The Coalition Years  (Read 632857 times)

Re: UK Politics: Conservatives win majority, everyone else resigns
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 July 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
I actually believe that Tony Blair did a lot of good for this country.
Foreign policy aside, i.e. starting illegal wars and the like, I'd have to agree.  Best intentions were there no doubt.

Shame Labour got lost to corruption really and saddled with the credit crunch - imo if the crunch hadn't come they'd still have taken the Tories for another term such was how s*** the Tories really are/were.  Easy to forget now Labour have melted down but the Tories were a travesty.  Still are, obviously.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Incognito

• Get your hands off me you freak
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 July 2010, 11:41:48 PM »
Who's on QT tonight?
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • Anyone got any Gaviscon?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 July 2010, 11:45:52 PM »
Who's on QT tonight?

Andy Burnham, Frances Maude, Nick Ferrari, George Galloway and Sally Bercow.
"Football violence will continue as long as they're shitting in our shoes and we're pissing in their Bovril" - Billy Connolly

Incognito

« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 July 2010, 11:48:40 PM »
Any good mate?

GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 July 2010, 11:50:21 PM »
Any good mate?

Galloway was good value as ever, but Burnham landed a few good punches when it came to the NHS question. Dimblebore gets on my tits though, just such a narcissistic old b****** he really is...yadeyadeyada...shut it you old git. So yeah, it was alright actually.
"Football violence will continue as long as they're shitting in our shoes and we're pissing in their Bovril" - Billy Connolly

« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:13:20 AM »

Ahem, let me just clear my throat.

Blair started all this mess with 'New Labour'. They were the catalysts for this last 15 years of selfish mindless consumerism. The New Labour era brought us nothing but over priced bars serving cocktails with gold leaf in, people borrowing thousands to buy a Beemer whilst on 15k a year, walking back from the shops with bags full of hair and skin products to make them selves look good when plenty of water and a decent vitamin C intake will do much more for a fraction of the price.
While I am ferociously liberal in my views, I do not believe people have made informed choices for 15 years. The way in which New Labour allowed his horrific Tsunami of corporate bullshit to drown everyone in this country has led us to contribute to our own downfall. I haven't been guilty as I have never had the means, but I will always use the term 'we'.
We moan at the government for allowing this global recession to happen but we were all more than content to sit back and lap up the luxuries and then refuse to realise the truth that if we hadn't been greedy and glutinous none of this would have happened.
We're all ok going to shop in supermarkets whilst letting hundreds of years of society and community rot by the way side, we'll all wander down to Topman (something which I most certainly do not do) and are content to spend hundreds of pounds to look exactly the same because 5 guys have sat in a boardroom and thought 'we can get everyone to think this is what they want to wear and make millions'.
Its not a choice we make, people walk around determined by all this possession and act as if is a statement of individuality when there couldn't be a bigger heap of bullshit spouted. You don't choose that, they mke you think you do, but you most certainly don't. We've been undone by simple psychology. We've been supressed by this insecurity thats been instilled in everyone, but luckily enough for us they have the cure, but it'll cost you mind. And then funnily enough we dont really feel any better. Oh well, it must mean we need more medicine, back to the shops....

So, what do people turn to when all of this leads to our own implosion? Surely we're going to wake up and realise just what needs to be done, right? No, the f***ing Tories are back. I've just lived under a supressive, excessive, mindless Tory regime for 15 years, I don't want another.

How about we make a decision to take a step back? what a surprise it'll be when we see that A5 painting we've been looking at is actually A1?

After all, we are one of the most densely populated islands in the world. Its a lot harder to be able to do something without if effecting someone else in some way, so instead of fighting against it, instead of 'going Tory' and carrying on with this 'look after yourself' philosophy we'll alwys be unhappy, because as long as you have another 60 million people on your doorstep, there'll always be disagreements.
Lets work it out before we go diving in, then we wont spend years moaning about why it went wrong, when we all really know the real reason anyway. A little bit of work brings big gains.

Praise the cynics! If it wasn't for them we'd all go bounding into the next piece of soulless meaningless s**** 'they've' created, like an over excited Puppy going to lick a snake. You'll get a nasty bite on the f***ing nose!
Gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme some Ganja!

Incognito

« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
Just the one question for now:how did the Government allow the global recession to happen?

« Reply #32 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:20:31 AM »
Just the one question for now:how did the Government allow the global recession to happen?

They didnt 'allow' it. But they promoted the means for 'us' to make it happen without thinking about the consequences

Incognito

« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:21:07 AM »
So we did it then.

« Reply #34 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:23:27 AM »
So we did it then.

In essence yes. It was our greed and stupidity coupled with a governments own agenda. But since we're meant to be the informed ones who chose our government and control our own country...

Incognito

« Reply #35 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:25:26 AM »
How does how we borrow or spend cause a GLOBAL recession?

« Reply #36 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:30:13 AM »
Consumerism, which you've slated in first couple of paragraphs, is a global thing though which isn't down to New Labour, but the direction of the world, well west, as a whole. I don't even necessarily see it as a bad thing. Yes obviously spending beyond your means is an idiotic and greedy thing to do, but people who can afford to spend a couple of hundred on say a new suit and do when you can get one for £20 in Primark aren't to blame for this mess even though it can be seen as an obscene waste of money. I'm saying this from a completely pro-capitalist although liberal point of view mind.

« Reply #37 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:35:28 AM »
How does how we borrow or spend cause a GLOBAL recession?

It doesn't, thanks for pointing hat out, Ill happily try and explain.

The 'global recession' was caused by america's banking system collapse. Which in turn, because we're so utterly reliant on that island across the pond for everything from fizzy drinks to pop culture, caused ours because of the insecurity in the market.

Remember London is the Financial capital of the world. A huge proportion of the worlds capital passes through London on is way from one place to another. London is a middleman. If one of our biggest source of income goes caput like america kind of did, then the middlemans balls shrivel, so financial traffic through london is crippled. And if 2 of he worlds biggest economys, 2 of the worlds biggest 'money handlers' f*** up as badly as they did, that resonates around the globe fairly quickly.

Now thats a horribly untidy assessment from someone who could understand a lot more about economics and by no means were they the only reasons behind it. Though they were certainly big contributors. But our own capacity to deal with such a recession was laughable as we had no money, only repayments. We own very few profitable businesses or comodiies apart from our massive banking system. So what do we have to help us out of this recession if we have no money? Can we sell all these lovely exports we have? Can we rely on our manufacturing sector to support us? I'm sure GM will happily remind everyone where that went!

« Reply #38 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:38:41 AM »
Consumerism, which you've slated in first couple of paragraphs, is a global thing though which isn't down to New Labour, but the direction of the world, well west, as a whole. I don't even necessarily see it as a bad thing. Yes obviously spending beyond your means is an idiotic and greedy thing to do, but people who can afford to spend a couple of hundred on say a new suit and do when you can get one for £20 in Primark aren't to blame for this mess even though it can be seen as an obscene waste of money. I'm saying this from a completely pro-capitalist although liberal point of view mind.

No no no Im not saying that at all. The building block of any successful country is a thriving private sector. a spread out private sector with los of choice rather than a ew big businesses though (banks a prime xample). But its when and where you chose the alternatives. You dont just paint everything one f***ing colour. Some plants like dry conditions some like wet.

« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 12:52:20 AM »

No no no Im not saying that at all. The building block of any successful country is a thriving private sector. a spread out private sector with los of choice rather than a ew big businesses though (banks a prime xample). But its when and where you chose the alternatives. You dont just paint everything one f***ing colour. Some plants like dry conditions some like wet.

Ahh, I completely missed your point. Yeah I actually agree with what your saying and I'd also put it down to laziness on everyones part also, why go to separate shops to do the weekly shop when its all under one roof. I have to admit though, I'm as guilty as anyone else with that.

Incognito

« Reply #40 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 01:11:58 AM »
Right,I'm with you on the American bank collapse but not on your explanation of how to get out of it.Brown and Darling got us out of it by supporting the economy,by introducing the scrappage scheme amongst other things,which the rest of Europe followed,thus keeping many more people in employment than what recessions usually produce:see Thatcher M.:

Incognito

« Reply #41 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 03:59:56 AM »
Re:GM's point about Dimplebum,he called some journo from the Mail or Telegraph,ie Tory,Eric Heffer when his name is Simon Heffer.
For those who don't know who Eric Heffer was,Wiki him.
Also re: GM's OP,I tittered profusely at the thought of Cameron gobbling up Laws.

« Reply #42 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 04:05:46 AM »

Ahem, let me just clear my throat.

Blair started all this mess with 'New Labour'. They were the catalysts for this last 15 years of selfish mindless consumerism. The New Labour era brought us nothing but over priced bars serving cocktails with gold leaf in, people borrowing thousands to buy a Beemer whilst on 15k a year, walking back from the shops with bags full of hair and skin products to make them selves look good when plenty of water and a decent vitamin C intake will do much more for a fraction of the price.
While I am ferociously liberal in my views, I do not believe people have made informed choices for 15 years. The way in which New Labour allowed his horrific Tsunami of corporate bullshit to drown everyone in this country has led us to contribute to our own downfall. I haven't been guilty as I have never had the means, but I will always use the term 'we'.
We moan at the government for allowing this global recession to happen but we were all more than content to sit back and lap up the luxuries and then refuse to realise the truth that if we hadn't been greedy and glutinous none of this would have happened.
We're all ok going to shop in supermarkets whilst letting hundreds of years of society and community rot by the way side, we'll all wander down to Topman (something which I most certainly do not do) and are content to spend hundreds of pounds to look exactly the same because 5 guys have sat in a boardroom and thought 'we can get everyone to think this is what they want to wear and make millions'.
Its not a choice we make, people walk around determined by all this possession and act as if is a statement of individuality when there couldn't be a bigger heap of bullshit spouted. You don't choose that, they mke you think you do, but you most certainly don't. We've been undone by simple psychology. We've been supressed by this insecurity thats been instilled in everyone, but luckily enough for us they have the cure, but it'll cost you mind. And then funnily enough we dont really feel any better. Oh well, it must mean we need more medicine, back to the shops....

So, what do people turn to when all of this leads to our own implosion? Surely we're going to wake up and realise just what needs to be done, right? No, the f***ing Tories are back. I've just lived under a supressive, excessive, mindless Tory regime for 15 years, I don't want another.

How about we make a decision to take a step back? what a surprise it'll be when we see that A5 painting we've been looking at is actually A1?

After all, we are one of the most densely populated islands in the world. Its a lot harder to be able to do something without if effecting someone else in some way, so instead of fighting against it, instead of 'going Tory' and carrying on with this 'look after yourself' philosophy we'll alwys be unhappy, because as long as you have another 60 million people on your doorstep, there'll always be disagreements.
Lets work it out before we go diving in, then we wont spend years moaning about why it went wrong, when we all really know the real reason anyway. A little bit of work brings big gains.

Praise the cynics! If it wasn't for them we'd all go bounding into the next piece of soulless meaningless s**** 'they've' created, like an over excited Puppy going to lick a snake. You'll get a nasty bite on the f***ing nose!

In that diatribe I don't hear an alternative path they could have taken so I'd be interested to hear it.  I mean I know there are always alternatives but I highly doubt it could have been wildly different from what they did while remaining successful.

As for the bit in Italics, wtf?  Drivel.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

« Reply #43 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 08:52:45 AM »

They didnt 'allow' it. But they promoted the means for 'us' to make it happen without thinking about the consequences

They tried to make sure the UK was in the forefront of the race to the trough
The rapturous, wild & ineffable pleasure of drinking at someone else's expense

« Reply #44 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 08:54:10 AM »
"after all, we are one of the most densely populated islands in the world"

You know I wonder if the people who write this sort of rubbish ever leave Central Landahn

take a trip out of town and there are miles and miles of empty countryside with not a soul in sight

« Reply #45 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 01:16:35 PM »

You know I wonder if the people who write this sort of rubbish ever leave Central Landahn

take a trip out of town and there are miles and miles of empty countryside with not a soul in sight

Well, you're wrong here. I've never lived in London for a start, I am currently in Leeds and before that Wylam, Northumberland so.....
And i don't want to argue with you as I like your posts so would rather discuss and debate if that's OK? Same goes for everyone. If Im wrong or misunderstanding, then tell me your story, after all it is my name and my name alone above my posts.

Of course we have miles and miles of countryside, but as a guess, I reckon if you look for other countries who have such a population in such a small area we'd be quite high up the list for denseness of population and for a 1st world country that makes it even more prominent for my arguement.

What I'm trying to get at in a nutshell is the American Republican philosophy is probably a f***ing good arguement when you live in small towns in the middle of nowhere, miles from the next place, which can be as different as hell, but thats ok because they rarely interact.
What I'm saying is you cant have that self agenda as a general rule in a country where 62 million people are separated by 400 miles or so. And that's just blatent. To deny the issue of population size in this country as a major player in its economy and social ethos is just wrong.  theres millions of other people right on your doorstep (in comparison to bigger countries), of hugely varying beliefs, religions, preferences, sexual orientation, so why is it a good idea to ignore that when we clearly have an impact on each other, regardless of how much or how little we want that to be the case. If a Mosque goes up in London, people in Manchester moan about it... see what I mean? National news reaches everyone and its so close to home, shootings in London, Manchester, Glasgow, wherever you are, its close, and we are such a close society we are all effected by it.

« Reply #46 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 01:22:41 PM »
Power corrupts; absolute power turns you tory.

or peter mandelson

Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #47 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 01:24:11 PM »
Nice topic change :rolleyes:

"Self Agenda as a general rule" - what on earth is that supposed to mean?

Quote from: Vix, London
Does John O'Farrell think that Tories aren't idealistic? We want to make the world a better place too. We just believe that the best way to do this is for government to promote individual responsibility while taking care of systemic risk, rather than being paternalistic and prescriptive. Or, as the last government did, by cynically overspending to inflate the economy; then claiming you can overspend your way out of the deep, deep hole you created.

GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
« Reply #48 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 01:24:21 PM »
Power corrupts; absolute power turns you tory.

or peter mandelson

Careful, Rob. That sort of language can get you banned.

Or at least it should IMO. I detest that scheming, oleaginous shirtlifter. :hmm:

« Reply #49 on: Friday 16 July 2010, 01:25:46 PM »

Well, you're wrong here. I've never lived in London for a start, I am currently in Leeds and before that Wylam, Northumberland so.....
And i don't want to argue with you as I like your posts so would rather discuss and debate if that's OK? Same goes for everyone. If Im wrong or misunderstanding, then tell me your story, after all it is my name and my name alone above my posts.

Of course we have miles and miles of countryside, but as a guess, I reckon if you look for other countries who have such a population in such a small area we'd be quite high up the list for denseness of population and for a 1st world country that makes it even more prominent for my arguement.

What I'm trying to get at in a nutshell is the American Republican philosophy is probably a f***ing good arguement when you live in small towns in the middle of nowhere, miles from the next place, which can be as different as hell, but thats ok because they rarely interact.
What I'm saying is you cant have that self agenda as a general rule in a country where 62 million people are separated by 400 miles or so. And that's just blatent. To deny the issue of population size in this country as a major player in its economy and social ethos is just wrong.  theres millions of other people right on your doorstep (in comparison to bigger countries), of hugely varying beliefs, religions, preferences, sexual orientation, so why is it a good idea to ignore that when we clearly have an impact on each other, regardless of how much or how little we want that to be the case. If a Mosque goes up in London, people in Manchester moan about it... see what I mean? National news reaches everyone and its so close to home, shootings in London, Manchester, Glasgow, wherever you are, its close, and we are such a close society we are all effected by it.

But most Americans (and everywhere else) live in BIG cities (eg Australai where 97% of the country live in cities)

the problem in the UK is that we have a National meeja which isn't really the case in the USA - so ANy story goes thermonuclear