Author Topic: Stand-up Comedy  (Read 40930 times)

Gash?

• If I'm dead, you've been dead for weeks.
Stand-up Comedy
« on: Friday 27 November 2009, 03:58:48 PM »
Who have you seen?
Who did you enjoy?
Who were they similar to (if they aren't too well known)?
What style of comedy do you not like/

Anybody else dislike Lee Evans and Peter Kay?
It's weird how good Phoenix Nights is and his stand up is s****!

Anyway, i'm going to see Gervais Wednesday, anybody seen him live? Anybody seen this tour?
What's it like.

I'm excited!
(Also i thought there was a stand-up thread but couldn't find it)

Mowen

• Sepp Blatter w*****
Re: Stand-up Comedy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 04:02:44 PM »
Peter Kay's stand up is fantastic, it's just been done to death. First time I saw the Bolton Albert Halls I thought it was brilliant.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Pilko

• Born with a heart full of neutrality
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 04:11:49 PM »
Jack Dee is the king of stand-up comedy.

Michael McIntyre should be shot with s***.
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

LBW

• TPFKA lankybellwipe
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
I don't know any SUC that can draw out the same material for 10+ years (peter kay) He's like an onstage one hit wonder! Love the telly stuff tho!
And I'm sorry, I just can't buy Gervais onstage. Imo, Merchant is just as much to blame for the huge success of 'T Office, and he hasn't received a quarter of the acclaim as Gervais
"You're giving ME the 'it's naat you it's me' routine? If it's anybaady, it's ME!!"
"Ok George, it's YOU!"
"You're DAMN RIGHT IT'S ME!"

Jaqen H'ghar

• TPFKA Phil Mitchell
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 05:57:45 PM »
I don't know any SUC that can draw out the same material for 10+ years (peter kay) He's like an onstage one hit wonder! Love the telly stuff tho!
And I'm sorry, I just can't buy Gervais onstage. Imo, Merchant is just as much to blame for the huge success of 'T Office, and he hasn't received a quarter of the acclaim as Gervais

That natural though because Gervais played the main character in the office aswell, not that many people would know larry David if they saw him before he starred in Curb.

LBW

• TPFKA lankybellwipe
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 06:00:56 PM »

That natural though because Gervais played the main character in the office aswell, not that many people would know larry David if they saw him before he starred in Curb.

A valid and respected point mate. Theres just something about his diversion from sitcom to standup that doesn't sit right with me   ???
"You're giving ME the 'it's naat you it's me' routine? If it's anybaady, it's ME!!"
"Ok George, it's YOU!"

« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 06:05:26 PM »
Everyone should get King Baby by Jim Gaffigan.  Easily my current reigning champion for a stand-up cd.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

S.S.R.

• Photoshop King
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
Dylan Moran is quality.

Pilko

« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 06:11:20 PM »
Mark Steel is good, too. His set about the French Revolution is bloody hilarious, lent it off a mate of mine.

Although, I probably found it that little bit funnier as I did French Rev. at AS level and know what he's on about.
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

LBW

• TPFKA lankybellwipe
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 06:18:54 PM »
Mark Steel is good, too. His set about the French Revolution is bloody hilarious, lent it off a mate of mine.

Although, I probably found it that little bit funnier as I did French Rev. at AS level and know what he's on about.

Thats the guy!

I've been trying to recall his name! Whenever I've seen Gervais doing standup, I thought "This smacks of Mark Steel!"   :blush:
"Ok George, it's YOU!"

Jaqen H'ghar

• TPFKA Phil Mitchell
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 06:21:02 PM »

A valid and respected point mate. Theres just something about his diversion from sitcom to standup that doesn't sit right with me   ???

I like it but i can see why some people don't. A lot of his comedy is through the subtleness and his mannerisms, i think he plays that arrogant w***** role too well and too many people don't understand that he's using it too mock other celebrities rather than it being his own personality. It's never going to be as popular as the likes of Peter Kay impersonating dads dancing at weddings or Mcintyre doing accent gags and running round the stage to the general public though.

« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 November 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Saw Mcintyre at the arena a few weeks ago, liked him
AS9

« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 November 2009, 08:59:08 PM »

I like it but i can see why some people don't. A lot of his comedy is through the subtleness and his mannerisms, i think he plays that arrogant w***** role too well and too many people don't understand that he's using it too mock other celebrities rather than it being his own personality. It's never going to be as popular as the likes of Peter Kay impersonating dads dancing at weddings or Mcintyre doing accent gags and running round the stage to the general public though.

You have to be very well tuned to deal with his constant change of character and it's very easy to take something the wrong way or believe he's being genuine when he's taking the p*ss. As you say though if you can be bothered to get to know him it's hilarious. FAME is brilliant, the rainman/autistic kid bit in particular. :lol:

« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 November 2009, 09:02:14 PM »
Dara O'Briain is my favourite from the ones ive seen, going to see him again in January too, at the legendary Vicar Street :smitten:

Would love to see Billy Connelly.
“What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.” - Sir Bobby Robson

GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • Choose Life - the alternative's too permanent
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 02:45:58 AM »
Billy Connolly is my favourite, and I keep on missing his (increasingly rare) tours. :hmm:

Met Jack Dee in 93 - he shook my hand and said "Christ, you're a big b****** aren't you?" Then he p*ssed off backstage before being very funny onstage.

Saw Frankie Boyle before he was famous - always thought he was a smug b****** - seems I was right.

Adam Hill, Dylan Moran (lives round the corner from me), Bill Bailey, Dave Allen (RIP) also up there in my esteem.
"Football violence will continue as long as they're shitting in our shoes and we're pissing in their Bovril" - Billy Connolly

ZeRoE

• Keep watching, but it will never happen!
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 10:25:06 AM »

Pilko

« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 10:45:01 AM »
Met Jack Dee in 93 - he shook my hand and said "Christ, you're a big b****** aren't you?" Then he p*ssed off backstage before being very funny onstage.

He's brilliant, the ultimate comedian imo. Also, I'm not shocked he said you were a 'big b******' because Jack Dee is about five foot two.

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 11:31:07 AM »
only seen Gervais (Fame), Russell Howard (dingledoodies or whatever daft name he gave it) and Paddy McGuinness (was absolutely s****).  I keep hearing that people are coming up far too late to get tickets.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Pilko

« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 12:22:01 PM »
Quote from: WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Hey, it's Jack Dee!

« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
Seen Jim Jeffries and Ed Byrn over the last few weeks, both pretty funny

« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
Jack Dee's a legend. Don't think he's as funny as he was, though, tbh. Saw an Izzard DVD last night (Stripped). Quite disappointing, tbh.

Ian W

• plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
Rick Gervais - good but just does the expected material.
Rob Brydon - very middle of the road/safe and much better as a character actor.
Steve Coogan - terrible. His characters just don't work on stage on their own.

Skirge

• They Will Never Take My Cabaye
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 06:36:23 PM »
Jimmy Carr just cracks me up.

Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • L'appel du vide.
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 November 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
Anybody else dislike Lee Evans

Can't stand the c***.