The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

New season, new thread.

Can I just say:

THANK FUCK.

This off-season has been absolutely bloody dreadful. :lol:

Boro vs Sheff Utd tonight; Boro's team looks pretty much the same.

As Dave rudely ruined my question by locking the pissing other thread...I'll post it again. :)

Does anyone else quite like the boro top?

:blush:

It's alright but it is LITERALLY just a generic Adidas shirt with one panel a different colour, someone posted it up in that new shirts thread.

For some reason I find watching average football sides play more entertaining than world class ones. ???

I sometimes get that. It feels a bit more 'real' when the sides aren't quite as good. I sometimes feel detached when watching Real Madrid, for example.

Where's the pace & flair in these two midfields that we're apparently lacking? Seeing this and the two squads has made me feel a damn sight better about this season tbh.

Exactly what I've been saying. The league is shit. Caldwell and Carr were first choice in promoted sides last year FFS.

Sunderland came up with a load of Irish rejects after losing their first 4 games and appointing Keane on August 28th. Not only did they come up, they romped it. I don't believe it when anyone says this league is competitive. West Brom seem to make a good go of coming and going back down consistently.

Smith and Barton will be the best partnership in the league.

Enrique will be the best left back in the league.

Harper will be the best keeper in the league.

Steven Taylor will be in the top 3 centre halves in the league.

If we can supplement the above with 2 or 3 good signings and then pad the squad out a bit, we could win the league.

Could is the operative word of course as we'll need a fuckin manager and owner!

Where's the pace & flair in these two midfields that we're apparently lacking? Seeing this and the two squads has made me feel a damn sight better about this season tbh.

Exactly what I've been saying. The league is s***. Caldwell and Carr were first choice in promoted sides last year FFS.

Sunderland came up with a load of Irish rejects after losing their first 4 games and appointing Keane on August 28th. Not only did they come up, they romped it. I don't believe it when anyone says this league is competitive. West Brom seem to make a good go of coming and going back down consistently.

If we can supplement the above with 2 or 3 good signings and then pad the squad out a bit, we could win the league.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but the words "Smith" and "best" should not be allowed anywhere near the same sentence.

Exactly what I've been saying. The league is shit. Caldwell and Carr were first choice in promoted sides last year FFS.

I don't think anyone's said the league is anywhere near the quality of the PL, but it is competitive I'd say. Competitive in the sense of anyone being able to beat anyone - which is completely different to the Premiership.

Its only competitive because all the teams are worse than shite. As soon as a side comes alone who are even half decent, they romp it.

2004–05 Sunderland 94

2005–06 Reading       106

2006–07 Sunderland 88

2008–09 Wolves         90

All the seasons above we were at a canter by very, very average teams. Sunderland in 2006/7 is the most prime example.

Even half decent management of the players we have will get us promoted. Look at the success McCarthey, Coppell, Phil Brown, Billy Davies, Warnock etc. have had it that league.

Its only competitive because all the teams are worse than shite. As soon as a side comes alone who are even half decent, they romp it.

2004–05 Sunderland 94

2005–06 Reading        106

2006–07 Sunderland 88

2008–09 Wolves         90

All the seasons above we were at a canter by very, very average teams. Sunderland in 2006/7 is the most prime example.

Even half decent management of the players we have will get us promoted. Look at the success McCarthey, Coppell, Phil Brown, Billy Davies, Warnock etc. have had it that league.

I sincerely hope this mentality doesn't develop within the coaching staff.