Author Topic: The Car Thread  (Read 193520 times)

HTT

• tl;dr
Re: The Car Thread
« Reply #5000 on: Wednesday 8 February 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
Ste I'm sure I was behind you yesterday morning, Silver Lonnen heading towards the Balloon. I wasn't in my car, but in my van. If it was you those wheels are huge, but look great.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

« Reply #5001 on: Wednesday 8 February 2017, 07:51:08 PM »
Thanks mate, if it was me. [emoji38] think I need a new engine mount on drivers side, bit of vibration in reverse gear and sometimes park.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #5002 on: Wednesday 8 February 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
Those wheels give it away like. Take it to Phil at Staithes over in Dunston he is the man when it comes to MB, but is always busy.

« Reply #5003 on: Wednesday 8 February 2017, 08:51:41 PM »
My brother who used to be a mechanic and owns an E320 himself has just had a look at it and says it feels like it's the mount but you can't tell until it's off.

He took it for a spin, it does look a cracking car in motion. I love it, wish I'd got one sooner.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #5004 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
My brother who used to be a mechanic and owns an E320 himself has just had a look at it and says it feels like it's the mount but you can't tell until it's off.

He took it for a spin, it does look a cracking car in motion. I love it, wish I'd got one sooner.

:thup:

The wife's X-trail has been making some funny noises regarding the steering so she booked it in with Nissan Lookers Gateshead today and they fixed the issue (steering rack bush thing apparently), gave the car a valet and also give it an all-round health check. All under warranty. First-class service I have to say.

« Reply #5005 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 07:40:00 PM »

The wife's X-trail has been making some funny noises regarding the steering so she booked it in with Nissan Lookers Gateshead today and they fixed the issue (steering rack bush thing apparently), gave the car a valet and also give it an all-round health check. All under warranty. First-class service I have to say.

I'm with Evans Halshaw absolutely horrific service all round.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #5006 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 07:48:31 PM »
Aye heard bad things about them, and Arnold Clark.

« Reply #5007 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 07:51:12 PM »
Arnold Clark Shiremoor left me with no oil after a service. Always took forever to do the smallest repair or service, too.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #5008 on: Sunday 12 February 2017, 12:40:03 AM »

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #5009 on: Monday 13 February 2017, 02:17:40 AM »
I see your Chiron and raise you a Nürburgring Ring.

« Reply #5010 on: Tuesday 14 February 2017, 09:25:08 PM »
so van is booked in for 2nd year service on sat- still under 3 year warranty- headlight bulb goes off today- will they include that in fixed price service- or will they totally take the p*ss with the price of a bulb? :lol:  should I just go and get one at halfords and hoy it in before the service.?

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #5011 on: Tuesday 14 February 2017, 10:03:38 PM »
Bulbs are normally classed as consumables.

« Reply #5012 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 07:44:28 AM »
Bulbs are normally classed as consumables.

aye just wondering if i leave it for them at service if they will add £40+ for something I can get for i think its around £5 myself, or if they will only charge for the bulb.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #5013 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
so van is booked in for 2nd year service on sat- still under 3 year warranty- headlight bulb goes off today- will they include that in fixed price service- or will they totally take the p*ss with the price of a bulb? :lol:  should I just go and get one at halfords and hoy it in before the service.?

If they value you as a customer they will sort the bulbs out free of charge.

I've just ordered the cooler pump for my Merc and it seems the pulley belt is slack so its going to need to go to Phil at Dunston at some point if he has time. That and it needs new tires all-round. I'm just going to get some cheap ones for now umtil I take it to Germany in the summer.

I've joined the official Mercedes Benz AMG owners private lounge which is sad I know, but they have a forum and all kinds of events and such. Costs nowt...

In other motoring news, one of our company van's... 3rd time we have had to be flat bed trucked home in the last month or so (RAC). Diesel pissing out of the engine (injectors?) which made a belt slip off which meant we lost power steering and brakes basically. Pretty scary when you're in the fast lane... that and it keeps going into limp mode whenever we go over 70. This has been a problem on and off.

Time to replace it I think. Its a great van, a custom made 7 seater crew cab with a luton body. Its 10 years old now though and although its says over 115k on the clock, its probably closer to 200k.

The problem with vans is a lot of them enter the used market having been lease vehicles or van hire vehicles and as you don't need an MOT for the first 3 years, they get clocked before the first MOT is needed.

Whoever gets our 15 plate van when we have finished with it will be lucky as we bought it direct from the factory and the service book will be fully stamped with genuine mileage etc.

« Reply #5014 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 07:32:39 PM »
aye probs would, but ended up in halfords anyway today, tenner, but f*** its done.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #5015 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 07:52:24 PM »
So they didn't replace the bulb free of charge?

« Reply #5016 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 08:34:19 PM »
So they didn't replace the bulb free of charge?

not going for service til sat- I just went to halfords and got one today. cos my lass and dave both came up with the opinion it would be charged as a consumable- and didnt trust them not to take my eyes out on the fitting cost.

« Reply #5017 on: Wednesday 15 February 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

« Reply #5018 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:01:51 PM »
Video of an autonomous Chevy Bolt driving around San Francisco, it's pretty cool

Apparently planning to deploy thousands as taxis next year.

« Reply #5019 on: Saturday 18 February 2017, 12:36:22 PM »
What I don't get about those is...who the f*** am I meant to shout at when they sit in the outside lane and crawl, jump out of a junction then crawl, etc? I mean...i need to be able to give them hell!

« Reply #5020 on: Saturday 25 February 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
Finally got the car list, literally thousands of options.

Can now understand why there are so many cars on the roads in solid white and black - basically every car only available in these colours without paying quite a bit extra.

Leaning towards an Audi A4 at this stage to be honest. White or black though?
« Last Edit: Saturday 25 February 2017, 12:31:30 PM by Greg »

Ronaldo

• Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #5021 on: Saturday 25 February 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
Brace yourself for a soliloquy from HTT about how you should choose black because his black Mercedes is great and while we're on the subject a bloke called Acid has very kindly agreed to fit him new mudflaps for only £6K.

« Reply #5022 on: Saturday 25 February 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
Brace yourself for a soliloquy from HTT about how you should choose black because his black Mercedes is great and while we're on the subject a bloke called Acid has very kindly agreed to fit him new mudflaps for only £6K.

:spit:

« Reply #5023 on: Saturday 25 February 2017, 12:39:13 PM »
Choose whatever colour you think looks the nicest.

But be aware that car painters hate black because it's the worst colour for keeping clean and avoiding swirl marks after a polish (although there's specific black swirl polishes).

I know you'll not be painting it (:lol:) but they're harder to keep clean looking.

« Reply #5024 on: Saturday 25 February 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
Choose whatever colour you think looks the nicest.

But be aware that car painters hate black because it's the worst colour for keeping clean and avoiding swirl marks after a polish (although there's specific black swirl polishes).

I know you'll not be painting it (:lol:) but they're harder to keep clean looking.

The car I've just got rid of was a black Audi.

Might go for white just to be different. I'm really not that arsed about the colour as long as it's not a stupid colour.

Currently got a white Ford Focus as a hire car, it's not too bad. 2.0 diesel engine, all the gadgets etc.