Author Topic: The Car Thread  (Read 213771 times)

Dave

• Administrator
Re: The Car Thread
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 7 May 2009, 09:38:35 PM »
Haha, I didn't get those because of the ludicrous cost. They're stickers ffs. I think they look a bit tacky anyway, you don't need to advertise the fact it's a Type-R that much.

Tbh the previous model is much more highly regarded than mine, but I don't care. VTEC ftw.
The Red light in the driver footwell looked a good option until I saw the cost!

The 'Type R' transfers on the sides look good on the Black cars. Red on Red doesn't work as well.

You have to ring the VTEC's neck which is great fun but if it doesn't kick in until over 70 mph in third that's lose licence danger zone.

That footwell lighting is charver as f*** man. :lol:

Yeah you've got to be very careful when using VTEC, and it can get tiresome sometimes when you fancy a bit of power low down the revs. But the car is still pretty swift even without using it. To be frank I'd never have got one if I didn't have a fuel card - using VTEC is like throwing petrol on the floor. I once hit it in top for a short spurt (kicks in at 110mph :blush:) and it took 40 miles off the 'to next fill' countdown. :lol:

« Reply #51 on: Thursday 7 May 2009, 09:40:29 PM »
Haha, I didn't get those because of the ludicrous cost. They're stickers ffs. I think they look a bit tacky anyway, you don't need to advertise the fact it's a Type-R that much.

Tbh the previous model is much more highly regarded than mine, but I don't care. VTEC ftw.
The Red light in the driver footwell looked a good option until I saw the cost!

The 'Type R' transfers on the sides look good on the Black cars. Red on Red doesn't work as well.

You have to ring the VTEC's neck which is great fun but if it doesn't kick in until over 70 mph in third that's lose licence danger zone.

That footwell lighting is charver as f*** man. :lol:

Yeah you've got to be very careful when using VTEC, and it can get tiresome sometimes when you fancy a bit of power low down the revs. But the car is still pretty swift even without using it. To be frank I'd never have got one if I didn't have a fuel card - using VTEC is like throwing petrol on the floor. I once hit it in top for a short spurt (kicks in at 110mph :blush:) and it took 40 miles off the 'to next fill' countdown. :lol:

Why , do you need footwell lighting, unless you want to admire your top of the range trainers, or clean dogs s*** off, ... struggling to find another use for it?

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 7 May 2009, 09:40:54 PM »
Precisely. :laugh:

Fugazi

• Give us hell, Quimby!
« Reply #53 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 12:46:54 AM »

Saw an F430 exactly the same as the above on the Coast Road this morning during rush hour, guy had the top down aswell, alright for some...

I've always had a thing for Corrados

Love the look of them.
NE28

themanupstairs

• nee blasties
« Reply #54 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 08:04:33 AM »

Surprisingly, Citroen are coming up with some badass concepts considering it's French!

The C-Metisse looks really good tbh

Fear is the mindkiller

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #55 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 09:49:39 AM »

GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • Anyone got any Gaviscon?
« Reply #56 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 10:07:58 AM »
"Football violence will continue as long as they're shitting in our shoes and we're pissing in their Bovril" - Billy Connolly

« Reply #57 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 10:09:09 AM »

haha, i acn remember them chariots

Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
« Reply #58 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 10:27:01 AM »

AWESOME!

I'd love to see them come back in fashion, i coud see skinny students in their skinn jeans and other ill fitting clothes bombing about in them.

« Reply #59 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 10:31:17 AM »

This until some tourist pulled out of a layby as I was driving past her.

Now something very similar to this photo, mine has the 5 spoke 17" alloys.

Getting one of these next - Passat CC.

themanupstairs

• nee blasties
« Reply #60 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 10:45:40 AM »

How's this driving for you? Seriously thinking about Saab.
Fear is the mindkiller

Nobody

• That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #61 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 10:58:55 AM »
I want a car :(

Gorilla

• Likes gambling
« Reply #62 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
I currently drive a Golf but am thinking of upgrading to something a bit sportier but that can be used a family car as my lass is baking a bun,  I have a  budget of 20k + my cars worth 5 so I can whack that in, want something quite quick but that does at least 30MPG and that has a decent sized boot and 4 doors.  Preferably brand new

Any Ideas?  Was thinking of something like an Impreza but not as gay looking

« Reply #63 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 11:23:56 AM »

I have had mine for 3 years and done 115k miles, the model is Vector Sport 1.9TiD Auto.  Honestly it is a very nice car, really comfortable, plently powerful and as I spend so much time in it for my job those things are important.

Reliability wise I cannot really complain, at first there was a problem with the EGR Valve (some sort of gar recirculating valve pushing exhaust gasses back into the engine to be burned a second time - emmisions improvement or something).  I was having to have the valve changed every 20k miles but, Saab brought out an improvement with new swirl actuators in the manifold (quoting what I was told here - I am no mechanic!) so I had that done and not had a problem since, touch wood.

Just spent a grand on new brakes, discs and pads along with another service but, if I am honest, £ per mile for repairs etc is very low.

Would I recommend one, yes I think I would.  You can have mine in March next year for a very good price.

« Reply #64 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 11:26:24 AM »
I currently drive a Golf but am thinking of upgrading to something a bit sportier but that can be used a family car as my lass is baking a bun,  I have a  budget of 20k + my cars worth 5 so I can whack that in, want something quite quick but that does at least 30MPG and that has a decent sized boot and 4 doors.  Preferably brand new

BMW 3 series 320d would be a good bet but, for £25k you have a cracking choice of cars.
I like the Alfa 159, BMW 3 series, Passat CC, A4, may even squeeze a 5 series Beemer for that sort of money if you go for 1 year old.

Gorilla

• Likes gambling
« Reply #65 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 11:27:59 AM »

BMW 3 series 320d would be a good bet but, for £25k you have a cracking choice of cars.
I like the Alfa 159, BMW 3 series, Passat CC, A4, may even squeeze a 5 series Beemer for that sort of money if you go for 1 year old.
Might go the BMW dealership tomorrow and havea  look, never thought about BMW's but I do like to sound of having one.

« Reply #66 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
List on a BMW 320Dse manual with nice wheels (17" minimum otherwise they look like s***) is around £22k, you could add some nice extras for your budget.

themanupstairs

• nee blasties
« Reply #67 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 11:53:03 AM »

Check out my car on the previous page. SEAT Altea. It's exactly that. A family sportscar. I suggest you head down to the local dealership and test drive it. Quite spacious and extremely fuel efficient. The new model is cool looking, and it's well within your budget.
Fear is the mindkiller

themanupstairs

• nee blasties
« Reply #68 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 11:55:04 AM »

I have had mine for 3 years and done 115k miles, the model is Vector Sport 1.9TiD Auto.  Honestly it is a very nice car, really comfortable, plently powerful and as I spend so much time in it for my job those things are important.

Reliability wise I cannot really complain, at first there was a problem with the EGR Valve (some sort of gar recirculating valve pushing exhaust gasses back into the engine to be burned a second time - emmisions improvement or something).  I was having to have the valve changed every 20k miles but, Saab brought out an improvement with new swirl actuators in the manifold (quoting what I was told here - I am no mechanic!) so I had that done and not had a problem since, touch wood.

Just spent a grand on new brakes, discs and pads along with another service but, if I am honest, £ per mile for repairs etc is very low.

Would I recommend one, yes I think I would.  You can have mine in March next year for a very good price.

Cheers for that pinkeye, but I'm gunning for the beauty in the OP. Not that gash yellow colour mind.
Fear is the mindkiller

« Reply #69 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 12:02:39 PM »
I'm gunning for the beauty in the OP. Not that gash yellow colour mind.

But yellow is shexxxyy :(

themanupstairs

• nee blasties
« Reply #70 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 12:37:42 PM »

Not at my age fella
Fear is the mindkiller

Stephen927

« Reply #71 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 12:39:33 PM »

My brother once had one of these:

I loved it like, wouldn't have a yellow car on my estate though, would get keyed within seconds.

« Reply #72 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 12:45:18 PM »

Not at my age fella

I had a mail shot from Western Saab at Benton saying that they had a load of convertables in stock and they were looking to do deals to shift them for the summer.  Now could be the time.

I looked at them and really like the look of them but, the boot is all taken up with a compartment for the roof to fold into so it would be no good for the amount of stuff I carry about.

Also when you get to a certain age, let's say my age - slightly above 40, then you start to feel slightly prickish to be driving around with the roof down and music blasting from the CD..............

« Reply #73 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 12:49:49 PM »
Why , do you need footwell lighting, unless you want to admire your top of the range trainers, or clean dogs s*** off, ... struggling to find another use for it?
You don't NEED one. It was a cool looking extra in the brochure. Never saw one in the metal though. The Ford Focus ST has a 'Submarine' light that shines a beam down to illuminate the gear stick for night driving. Not really required but it looks fun.

Saab are in major trouble due to GM's problems. Saab haven't had a really 'new' car for a while. Their cars are based on Vauxhall Vectra chassis.

See: -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7901857.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7901027.stm
« Last Edit: Friday 8 May 2009, 01:10:22 PM by LoveItIfWeBeatU »
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

« Reply #74 on: Friday 8 May 2009, 12:54:53 PM »
True, most of the running gear is General Motors but, the build quality is far superior to that of a Vectra.  My mechanic is always saying that it is a delight to work on my car because it is so well put together.

Saab are going to be taken over by Fiat as far as I can gather, the brand will still be supported regardless what happens and the current financial situation globally means that if you have the wherewithall to be buying a new car right now, then you will be able to negotiate a cracking deal for yourself.

Seriously, if I was looking at a car with a £26k list price tag I would be targetting around £20k - £21k max as what I would be expecting to pay, I know I could get that deal somewhere, even if it meant looking at online dealers.