Author Topic: Beer Brewing  (Read 5685 times)

Re: Beer Brewing
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday 3 November 2015, 02:57:28 AM »
UpTheToon who has posted in this thread before won in a Hop & Cleaver competition and his prize was that he got to brew his beer on their equipment and they'll be selling it in their bars soon. Much better than my prize which was a "Gold Medal". A potentially figurative gold medal. I have to wait until the judge forms come back from being ratified by the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) before I know whether it's figurative or not.
Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

« Reply #126 on: Wednesday 20 January 2016, 06:43:59 PM »
Keepin' my thread alive.

Ordered this fella:

15 gallon time. 8 gallon isnt cutting it any more.

Which will move me to a 3 vessel system

I made this handy animated gif for EVERYONE to study

« Reply #127 on: Wednesday 20 January 2016, 11:00:18 PM »
Real one man show in this thread isn't it.

Nice gif. Three vessel will be interesting.

Could have just bought a bag like.

I'll post a pic of my new fermentation fridge once the decal arrives.

« Reply #128 on: Wednesday 20 January 2016, 11:06:19 PM »
Show me a professional brewer who BIABs and I'll buy in right now. Three vessel is the standard system, I'm stickin to it.

Nah but i could technically BIAB in the new super pot, should I wish to.

« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 20 January 2016, 11:06:30 PM »
ps decals :sweetjesus:

« Reply #130 on: Wednesday 20 January 2016, 11:07:18 PM »
Incidentally, if we ceased texting/emailing and just used this thread for our beer talk, it'd be the busiest thread in the whole place.

« Reply #131 on: Thursday 21 January 2016, 10:47:19 AM »
 :lol: true.

It's about scale and ease though isn't it. Although you can do 500L single vessel if you have the cash...

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/braumeister/id-200-500-litre-braumeister.html

I'm sure your three level setup will be awesome.

My decal is on its way but the left hand hinge for the fridge is yet to leave Germany. Grr.

Cloudwater is my new beer crush over here... Common bar mentioned in this article is my fave place in Manchester too.

http://goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2016/1/18/humulone-for-the-soul-cloudwater-brew-co-in-manchester-uk

Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • You can't holt the Colts.
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 21 January 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
What's the set up costs for this? All equipment and ingredients for a first batch. I'm interested.
14-2 for the Colts this season. I can feel it.

« Reply #133 on: Thursday 21 January 2016, 07:56:42 PM »
What's the set up costs for this? All equipment and ingredients for a first batch. I'm interested.

If you are completely new to brewing get a starter fermentation kit (either online or elderberries in Whitley bay, you can get it with glass bottles there) and do a few kits. You'll need all the kit and experience you get from doing that when you move up to extract and/or all grain brewing.

If you want to jump straight into grain brewing then read up. A lot.

I'd advise lots of reading and planning before diving in to avoid wishing you'd gone in a different direction.

https://byo.com/newbrew/all-grain

Raconteur

• I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #134 on: Thursday 21 January 2016, 10:59:20 PM »
I got a beer brewing kit for Christmas and my first brew is fermenting at the moment - it's been about ten days now and when I check the SG tonight it might be ready to bottle.

One thing though: from the OG/SG figures, it seems my beer will be about 3.3% alcohol, which seems on the low side to me (it's from a can of Coopers Pale Ale). What sort of ABV should I be expecting from a kit brew?

« Reply #135 on: Friday 22 January 2016, 03:08:21 PM »
I got a beer brewing kit for Christmas and my first brew is fermenting at the moment - it's been about ten days now and when I check the SG tonight it might be ready to bottle.

One thing though: from the OG/SG figures, it seems my beer will be about 3.3% alcohol, which seems on the low side to me (it's from a can of Coopers Pale Ale). What sort of ABV should I be expecting from a kit brew?

Kits range in ABV. It will have said the expected abv on the box? Try to find the kit online if you've tossed it?

« Reply #136 on: Friday 22 January 2016, 03:46:40 PM »
Yeah normally these things would come with an expected OG and FG, and therefore ABV.

I never really did extract kits, but it looks like from my googling, it's a kit where you can kind of decide how much extract you want to use, and thus decide the ABV.

« Reply #137 on: Thursday 25 February 2016, 04:20:47 PM »
Brewdog just released 20L/5gal recipes for all of the beers they ever did make. More of this pls.

https://www.brewdog.com/diydog

« Reply #138 on: Thursday 25 February 2016, 05:34:42 PM »
That's class.
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

« Reply #139 on: Thursday 21 July 2016, 08:17:59 PM »
The time has finally come for me to try this!
Me and 3 mates are going to give it a go.

Can anyone recommend what I need to get started.  Probably try and knock up one of them drew dogs post above.
Don't want to make beer for cask prefer it from a tap.  Do I need some kind of carbonation?

Oh and might help someone.

« Reply #140 on: Thursday 21 July 2016, 08:40:31 PM »
You just carb in bottles with a bit of sugar... so you need bottles. And a capper. Or swing top bottles.

Quite a few things you need before that though... probably best just looking for a kit kind of thing to start with.

« Reply #141 on: Thursday 21 July 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
Yeah going to start my research.  If there is 3 of us I would rather buy something canny good now and not have instead of using the bucket and s***.
Got good connections with a few brewers like Whylam so might pick their brains.

Coppers in Gosforth is  planning on doing a brewery in a few years so hoping to get in on that