Author Topic: The homeowners' thread  (Read 39836 times)

POOT and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TaylorJ_01

• You can't be serious Geoff, c'mon.
Re: The homeowners' thread
« Reply #1725 on: Wednesday 18 June 2014, 02:31:59 PM »
You don't come out well there :lol: sounds like she could put pickles in all your socks and you'd just be like "thanks for putting pickles in my socks, honey".

« Reply #1726 on: Wednesday 18 June 2014, 02:34:22 PM »
it's to do with work, i'm gone +50% of the time so she's unwilling to live elsewhere looking after the bairn on her own away from her family & friends which is sort of reasonable enough to be honest

if i could get a legit job somewhere she'd move no bother

we constantly argue about it, i can't get my head around the fact that property prices fall here and she can't get her head around the fact i can't get over it

EDIT: as for the school it's send her to this very good (albeit christian school), send her to the korean robot factory to get chewed up and spat out minus a childhood or move to somewhere like seoul and spend a fuckton more money
I made it my quest to seek out and listen to all the great British bands from years gone by to see for myself. What I found was that although all these other legendary British bands were f***ing great, the difference was that they had in my opinion nowhere near the quantity of good songs that Oasis have. Even the Beatles.

« Reply #1727 on: Wednesday 18 June 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
leave her
ah jeez

TaylorJ_01

• You can't be serious Geoff, c'mon.
« Reply #1728 on: Wednesday 18 June 2014, 02:36:11 PM »
Aye, you were in Kazakhstan weren't you? Why don't you move there? It looked lovely.

« Reply #1729 on: Wednesday 18 June 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
Aye, you were in Kazakhstan weren't you? Why don't you move there? It looked lovely.

i work there more than half the time dude, that's what i'm saying...

as regards leaving her the property is in her name :yao:
I made it my quest to seek out and listen to all the great British bands from years gone by to see for myself. What I found was that although all these other legendary British bands were f***ing great, the difference was that they had in my opinion nowhere near the quantity of good songs that Oasis have. Even the Beatles.

HTT

• tl;dr
« Reply #1730 on: Wednesday 18 June 2014, 05:01:16 PM »
it's to do with work, i'm gone +50% of the time so she's unwilling to live elsewhere looking after the bairn on her own away from her family & friends which is sort of reasonable enough to be honest

if i could get a legit job somewhere she'd move no bother

we constantly argue about it, i can't get my head around the fact that property prices fall here and she can't get her head around the fact i can't get over it

EDIT: as for the school it's send her to this very good (albeit christian school), send her to the korean robot factory to get chewed up and spat out minus a childhood or move to somewhere like seoul and spend a fuckton more money

Always, always, do what is best for your family and not what might be best for your wallet or yourself. Your kids' education is most important. Me I'm not religious whatsoever and actually abhore everything about it but if it was the difference between a good education or a poor one, when do I sign my kid up?!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

« Reply #1731 on: Saturday 21 June 2014, 09:44:26 AM »
Agreed to buy the place today, pretty pleased after a second look and knocking a little off the price. We scoped other places in the area and it p*ssed all over them. Turns out there's a cinema and all sorts of new s*** getting built in the area too.

Overall very pleased, should move 30th September.

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #1732 on: Saturday 21 June 2014, 11:46:50 AM »
Anyone got any tips for getting rid of ivy growing up a tree? I've read about cutting the main stem in two places so it can't fuse back together but has anyone else had to do it?

POOT

• RIP Jon Lockwood (Cajun)
« Reply #1733 on: Saturday 21 June 2014, 12:29:37 PM »
I've got mega Ivy growing on most of my trees (inc the huge Oak) and I was always worried that cutting the Ivy would mean it would kill the tree (rotting on the host tree etc).

Would be interested in what you find.
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #1734 on: Saturday 21 June 2014, 12:49:58 PM »
Nah reading up on it now seems to suggest it's more a sign of a declining tree rather than a cause. Checked again and ours (it's a pear tree) apparently has pear scab which needs fungicidal treatment. Basically the ivy just takes advantage.

Still think I'll chop it down. :lol: Don't think the rotting does any damage at all.

ian

« Reply #1735 on: Saturday 21 June 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
Ivy has no real effect on the tree...if you want to get rid...cut it at base...it wont "heal" back...but may try to grow new shoots from base...as it dies the upper leaves wont look good though.....and the bugs will be out of a place to live!

« Reply #1736 on: Monday 23 June 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
Spent the last 3 days laying a patio and paving in the garden.

Considering I'm an accountant who lifts nothing heavier than a pencil day to day, shifting 3 tons of garden out, to be replaced with 3 tons of hardcore, sand, cement and then paving is a huge task, especially in the weather we had down here over the weekend. Much respect to people who do this day in, day out.

In absolute bits today with my back, but it looks good and I get to say 'I f***ing did this' rather than paying someone else the best part of £500 to do it for me
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

« Reply #1737 on: Monday 23 June 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
I am the same, in that I do not undertake anything close to manual labour at work.  I really enjoy getting stuck into something like a patio, I get a huge sense of achievement from it.

I started to paint my garden fence on Sunday this weekend, it is a mamoth task but, hugely rewarding.  About half way round so far, will complete the rest of it during this week if it stays dry....

« Reply #1738 on: Monday 23 June 2014, 03:51:01 PM »
My most recent attempt of doing something around the house is to craft a wooden dog gate thing. Something that locks the dog in the kitchen, that looks somewhat like a piece of the house, rather than the shitty metal thing we've been dragging around for some time. It's fair to say this certainly isn't saving me any money, given I have a tendency to buy the tools to do the job properly, rather than attempt to do with what I already have. In a few months time when I've actually finished, maybe I'll post a photo or two.

Whole different league to laying your own patio like. I'd be s*** scared that it's all going to sink or something.

All we have at the back of our house is concrete.... is that all you need as a base for a patio? I could be tempted.
ah jeez

Disco

• RIP Jon Lockwood, Liam Sweeney & Jon Alder
« Reply #1739 on: Monday 23 June 2014, 03:52:17 PM »
Astroturf ftw

ED209

• insano
« Reply #1740 on: Monday 23 June 2014, 04:14:12 PM »
£1800 for some decking? Jesus christ.
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

« Reply #1741 on: Monday 23 June 2014, 04:29:57 PM »
I saw some Astroturf at B&Q when I went to buy my Ronseal wood preserver stuff for my fence.  I have to say that it is pretty nice stuff, better than the 3G football pitch stuff I thought it would be like.

Decking is a piece of p*ss to install yourself.

For your concrete area at the back of your house - that is a perfect base to put some sand down onto and lay some paving stones to create your patio.  Go for it!!

ED209

• insano
« Reply #1742 on: Monday 23 June 2014, 04:34:56 PM »
decking might be weary but i am inept at anything practical.

It is a large area though, £1300 for timber and £500 labour.
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

« Reply #1743 on: Monday 23 June 2014, 04:37:32 PM »
Astroturf ftw

Unless you have a dog. It stinks of p*ss.
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

« Reply #1744 on: Today at 06:12:41 PM »
Does anyone have granite flooring in their house? I am considering getting it in my new kitchen when I move in, but I need some advice on it before spending all of that money. I've heard mostly positive stuff but my dad has told me today that he's been told that they're slippy as f*** and a nightmare to keep clean once it gets a mark on it. Can anyone expand on this?

Alan Shearer:

404 games for Newcastle - 206 goals
63 Caps for England - 30 goals
733 career games - 379 goals
Newcastle's all time leading goalscorer
Ended his career by scoring against the scum in a 4-1 win
Turned Man United down, but lived the dream Alan Shearer=TRUE LEGEND