Author Topic: New York  (Read 30561 times)

Re: new york
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 April 2009, 04:42:43 AM »
Go to Nevada Smiths for some great footballing action.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 April 2009, 04:44:31 AM »
Poor man's Chicago.   :coolsmiley:

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 April 2009, 08:01:18 AM »
I rode on the subway, its fine tbh.

Although there are a lot of mentalists on there that is for sure, especially at night. Its kind of like the North Shields - Monument stretch on our Metro.

Yeah I've ridden on the subway everytime I've gone?! How else would I feel like I was in the Gramercy Riffs?! Random Christian shouty people tend to appear, but so f***, is good craic.
Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 April 2009, 10:38:31 AM »

Chicago rocks.

Lovejoy is f***ing minted so he should be staying in a good hotel.

If you want a mid-town location, then I stay at The W on Lexington when i am over there, great place. I'd also recommend The Hudson which is a bit closer to Central Park.

By the way, how funny would a weekend in New Yoik be with LBW?  :laugh:

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 April 2009, 10:40:36 AM »

Chicago rocks.

If you want a mid-town location, then I stay at The W on Lexington when i am over there, great place. I'd also recommend The Hudson which is a bit closer to Central Park.

I bet he'd go around asking every black man on the street if he was 'NY Mike.' :lol:
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 April 2009, 10:42:32 AM »

Chicago rocks.

I bet he'd go around asking every black man on the street if he was 'NY Mike.' :lol:

I can picture him in Starbucks ordering a 'kwafee' and then breaking into a Janice off Friends impression at the price.

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 April 2009, 11:56:39 AM »
last time I went, I stayed in Long Island City, Queens.  Had 4 full days and 2 half days (I went with my sixth form in 2006, but were only there 4 days, so wanted to go back)  The subway station (Queensboro Plaza) was one block away, and only about 5 stops into Times Square on the N,W and 7 lines.  7 day ticket is only $25 or something.

Really liked it.  It was miles cheaper than staying in Manhattan, breakfast was included and also let you see a little bit more of NYC other than just Manhattan.

Taxi from JFK was about $30 each way, which was nothing when split between 4.  Got it off Expedia.  Try there.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 April 2009, 12:49:06 PM »

« Reply #33 on: Friday 1 May 2009, 01:28:07 AM »
Well, hopefully going this summer, there for 6 days 3 of those are at All Points West. So any good bars to pop in to, places to eat (cheap is good), and any sights not on the touist trail worth seeing.  Also whats the crack with drinking, I know the USA is weird on drinking, but i'm guessing I can't lie in the sun with a few cans, like leazes park ?

Any info would be bari !

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #34 on: Friday 1 May 2009, 02:04:22 PM »
Well, hopefully going this summer, there for 6 days 3 of those are at All Points West. So any good bars to pop in to, places to eat (cheap is good), and any sights not on the touist trail worth seeing.  Also whats the crack with drinking, I know the USA is weird on drinking, but i'm guessing I can't lie in the sun with a few cans, like leazes park ?

Any info would be bari !

You can't have exposed alcohol in public, that's why you'll see tramps drinking out of brown paper bags, they generally take a dim view of that kind of thing, so it might not be a good idea, you're not even allowed to carry it back from the shop unless it's in a bag.

« Reply #35 on: Friday 1 May 2009, 04:18:22 PM »
So if I fill a 7up bottle with red stripe I should be cush ?

« Reply #36 on: Friday 1 May 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
I've been twice for 5 days each time. Stay in Manhattan. If you can afford it be based south of Central Park. All the main stuff to see is South of central park.  The subway is fine (but it can be very hot in the stations). Stay in sight of the guard booth rather than walking down to the end of the platform. I always felt safe walking around New York. For example, there are no groups of teens hanging around on the trains causing bother like you get here. Take normal sensible precautions that you would in any city, walk the main routes rather than down alleyways and you should be fine.

I'd recommend going up the Rockefeller Centre and the Empire State Building. Do one during the day and one at night so you get to see the city from two different views. Grand Central Terminal is definitely worth a visit. There is a nice food court there.

Take a taxi from the airport. Do not take a shuttle bus! They end up dropping people all over Manhattan and you lose an hour or two of your break going to different hotel entrances.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

« Reply #37 on: Friday 1 May 2009, 07:09:53 PM »

Any info would be bari !

You can't have exposed alcohol in public, that's why you'll see tramps drinking out of brown paper bags, they generally take a dim view of that kind of thing, so it might not be a good idea, you're not even allowed to carry it back from the shop unless it's in a bag.

On the way the the New York Red Bulls game i was drinking on the train with a brown paper bag and no one seemed to care....At the time there was a guy rolling around on the floor.

« Reply #38 on: Friday 1 May 2009, 07:14:46 PM »
I've been twice for 5 days each time. Stay in Manhattan. If you can afford it be based south of Central Park. All the main stuff to see is South of central park.  The subway is fine (but it can be very hot in the stations). Stay in sight of the guard booth rather than walking down to the end of the platform. I always felt safe walking around New York. For example, there are no groups of teens hanging around on the trains causing bother like you get here. Take normal sensible precautions that you would in any city, walk the main routes rather than down alleyways and you should be fine.

I'd recommend going up the Rockefeller Centre and the Empire State Building. Do one during the day and one at night so you get to see the city from two different views. Grand Central Terminal is definitely worth a visit. There is a nice food court there.

Take a taxi from the airport. Do not take a shuttle bus! They end up dropping people all over Manhattan and you lose an hour or two of your break going to different hotel entrances.

We are staying in a hostel north of CP, but its right on a subway line. We were looking at doing empire state on an afernoon and stay to watch the sun set.

We are arriving in Penn St from Boston, but the subway line goes from their to our hostel so that should be cush.

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #39 on: Friday 1 May 2009, 07:18:42 PM »

We are staying in a hostel north of CP, but its right on a subway line. We were looking at doing empire state on an afernoon and stay to watch the sun set.

We are arriving in Penn St from Boston, but the subway line goes from their to our hostel so that should be cush.

Which hostel?

« Reply #40 on: Friday 1 May 2009, 07:40:27 PM »
Atm looking at L - Hostel, has some really good reivews. Know any other good ones ?

« Reply #41 on: Saturday 2 May 2009, 10:30:56 AM »

That should be fine then if you are happy to go on the Subway which shouldn't be a problem. The first time I went I walked everywhere which is good for looking around all the time but slow due to having to cross the roads by light controlled crossings every block. When you are short on time the subway is the way to go. You could get the subway right down to the South of Manhattan and walk your way back North.

It's also worth spending a few hours walking around Central Park. I took the subway to Brooklyn to watch the NY Mets. You notice a difference in the type of people going out to Brooklyn compared to travelling around Manhattan but it was still ok (I travelled back to Manhattan at around 11pm).
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Ronaldo

• And meet priests YOU want to know.
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 3 May 2009, 12:53:54 AM »
£450 each for flights and hotel? that's absolutely s****

you should be looking at £330 max for the flights to JFK and £90 per night max for a good Manhattan hotel. Go to New York 3 times a year now, become a bit of an expert on the place, ask owt you want
"Hey, you're gonna build Beansie a ramp!"

"You should build him a ramp on his house."

Burnley have great togetherness and fighting spirit. They make life tricky for teams at Turf Moor and are starting to pick up points, even Man Utd didn't have it their own way there. All in all, a point is a decent result on the road in the Premier League.
I'll murder you

Mowen

• Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 3 May 2009, 06:40:31 PM »

you should be looking at £330 max for the flights to JFK and £90 per night max for a good Manhattan hotel. Go to New York 3 times a year now, become a bit of an expert on the place, ask owt you want

Where do you get flights for £330 max? Cheapest I've found is £343 with Virgin.

How is £450 s**** when you've offered a £465 alternative? :kinnear:
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

« Reply #44 on: Sunday 3 May 2009, 07:46:16 PM »
I'm flying in to Boston, then out of tornoto 16 days later with klm. It is about £100 cheaper going to Boston, than flying in to NYC (any airports)

Andy

• Administrator
  • TV w*****
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 3 May 2009, 07:46:20 PM »
New York? Pussy. Real men go to Mexico and look death in the face.

« Reply #46 on: Monday 4 May 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
Not new York but kind of related, we are looking to go see a redsox game when we are in boston. Is baseball really worth it, or is it just like cricket, a reason to get p*ssed.

« Reply #47 on: Monday 4 May 2009, 02:42:04 PM »
Not new York but kind of related, we are looking to go see a redsox game when we are in boston. Is baseball really worth it, or is it just like cricket, a reason to get p*ssed.

Its deffo not a reason to get p*ssed at £4 a pint but I loved it and sometime watch a mets game on TV now

Ronaldo

• And meet priests YOU want to know.
« Reply #48 on: Monday 4 May 2009, 04:08:03 PM »

he said £450 EACH

Travel Supermarket has found me return flights for £300 the last 5 times i've been to NY
"Hey, you're gonna build Beansie a ramp!"

"You should build him a ramp on his house."

Burnley have great togetherness and fighting spirit. They make life tricky for teams at Turf Moor and are starting to pick up points, even Man Utd didn't have it their own way there. All in all, a point is a decent result on the road in the Premier League.
I'll murder you

Mowen

• Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #49 on: Monday 4 May 2009, 04:23:44 PM »

he said £450 EACH

Travel Supermarket has found me return flights for £300 the last 5 times i've been to NY

I might be missing something here, but wouldn't £330 flights each plus 3 nights in a £90 hotel between them work out at £465 each?

Cheers for the travel supermarket tip mind, might have saved me £25 straight up. Nice one :thup:
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."