Author Topic: Newcastle Restaurants  (Read 196523 times)

Timothy K and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oldtype

• Book Wanker
  • Rafa in public
Re: Newcastle Restaurants
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 05:47:59 AM »
There's a place called Pizzeria Dolce Vita on Westgate Road. I go there every time I'm in the city.

I don't know if it's just that my standards are low, but it's honestly the best Italian I've ever tasted. Miles better than some $40/plate stuff I've had in the States.

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 06:36:04 AM »

Panis on High Bridge and Rumpolis down the Quayside are good for Italian.  Newcastle's not really great for anything else, I don't think :(

Ian W

• plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 01:49:10 PM »
I like La Tasca on the quayside, even though it's a chain it's in a really good location and nice inside. There's another Italian next to it as well, but I can't remember the name (never been).

Disco

• Me reading your posts
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 02:03:29 PM »
I like La Tasca on the quayside, even though it's a chain it's in a really good location and nice inside. There's another Italian next to it as well, but I can't remember the name (never been).

Much better Tapas bars than La Tasca in town.

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 02:09:33 PM »
There's a place called Pizzeria Dolce Vita on Westgate Road. I go there every time I'm in the city.

I don't know if it's just that my standards are low, but it's honestly the best Italian I've ever tasted. Miles better than some $40/plate stuff I've had in the States.

Perhaps if you ate at restaurants that don't go in for the early bird special so you can have a bowel movement before bedtime, you'd get some decent food.

Ian W

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 02:10:37 PM »

Probably right, the Salsa Club does some nice stuff, where else?

LBW

• TPFKA lankybellwipe
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 02:21:29 PM »

Spain?
"You're giving ME the 'it's naat you it's me' routine? If it's anybaady, it's ME!!"
"Ok George, it's YOU!"
"You're DAMN RIGHT IT'S ME!"

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 02:30:42 PM »
tapas place i can think of - El Coto near the ground, El torero on The Side and La Vina on Grey Street.

Ian W

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 03:37:13 PM »
I didn't like La Vina that much, but I'll try the others.

Disco

• Me reading your posts
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 04:25:59 PM »
I didn't like La Vina that much, but I'll try the others.

Not been to the La Vina in town but one in Leeds is nice and as Johnny mentioned El Torero is nice. There is a nice one in Jesmond n all whose name escapes me.

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 05:05:56 PM »
I will add my recommendation to the Big Muscle, excellent place to eat!

I also love El Torero (The Bullfighter) on The Side, fantastic tasty food at a good price, The Landmark is good but, a little pricey, my favourite on Stowell Street is Dragon House, they don't rush you along like other Chinese restaurants seem to and each of the many courses come out at a relaxed pace so you can eat more and actually enjoy it.

Lastly, Scalini's in Jesmond is a bit special!!

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 05:10:11 PM »
Avoid the Prickly Pear, over priced s****.

Can't go wrong with any of Chez's recommendations.

Ronaldo

• And meet priests YOU want to know.
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 05:32:39 PM »
Sabatini's is fantastic for italian and inexpensive
"Hey, you're gonna build Beansie a ramp!"

"You should build him a ramp on his house."

Burnley have great togetherness and fighting spirit. They make life tricky for teams at Turf Moor and are starting to pick up points, even Man Utd didn't have it their own way there. All in all, a point is a decent result on the road in the Premier League.
I'll murder you

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 05:49:59 PM »
Franchesca's just off Osbourne Rd. is very good, family rustic style italian food. Last Days of the Raj in Gateshead is amazing for indian. Anywhere in Chinatown is pretty good for chinese food...not that sure, as a vegetarian I tend not to be that adventurous.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 07:41:16 PM »
I went to Gershwin's once, it was surprisingly great.

mattypnufc

• Resident shirt designer extraordinaire
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 08:38:23 PM »

El Coto is my favourite place in town to eat...good atmosphere, good services and very very good food.

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 08:40:07 PM »
Anyone been to Simply Greek? Opinions?

Geordiesned

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 10:07:57 PM »
I'd highly recommend "@ Bangkok Cafe". Top quality authentic Thai nosh.

Robster

• in a lorry
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 9 December 2008, 10:11:25 PM »
Il Camino, Italian on Osbourne Road. Very cheap and very good.

Eeeeh, my mate used to live in that street!

What was the food like ?
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 10 December 2008, 10:30:13 AM »

Me and you are defintitely kindred spirits when it comes to food  :smug:

I think anyone visiting Newcastle from outside of the country or region should try Grainger Rooms as all the food and ingredients are sourced locally from high quality suppliers.

From this menu, only the sicillian lemons come from outside the region as far as i can see, maybe some of the cheese. Apart from that its all north-east food.

http://www.graingerrooms.co.uk/menu.php?menu=9

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 10 December 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
Anyone been to Simply Greek? Opinions?

Been in a few times, usually before an evening game.  The food is amazing, I just tend to order a few different starters so that I have something akin to a Greek Tapas.

Northerngimp

• Show me what you've got!
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 10 December 2008, 11:58:32 AM »
There is a new Vietnamese restaurant in town, in the bigg market.  Its been geting good reviews from what i've been told.

« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 10 December 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
There is a new Vietnamese restaurant in town, in the bigg market.  Its been geting good reviews from what i've been told.

Little Saigon?

I went last time I was home and it was pretty good.

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 10 December 2008, 12:27:54 PM »

Little Saigon?

I went last time I was home and it was pretty good.

What a name for it.  :lol:
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Disco

• Me reading your posts
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 10 December 2008, 12:35:11 PM »
If you're prepa

Me and you are defintitely kindred spirits when it comes to food  :smug:

I think anyone visiting Newcastle from outside of the country or region should try Grainger Rooms as all the food and ingredients are sourced locally from high quality suppliers.

From this menu, only the sicillian lemons come from outside the region as far as i can see, maybe some of the cheese. Apart from that its all north-east food.

http://www.graingerrooms.co.uk/menu.php?menu=9

The Feathers in Hedley on the Hill is a great country pub with a similar ethos. Well nice bait.