Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

Maybe not, I can't remember much before Lord Westwood but I certainly think Ashley was the best leader the club has had in that time and was the best chance we had for a stable and successful future.

Somehow though once again we've managed to totally mess it up and despite his almost universal early popularity many now regard him in the same way as the unpopular figures who headed the club before him.

He spent more money on Newcastle than anyone had ever done, he didn't look down his nose at fans as though they were something dirty he'd trod on like some previous leaders or insult us the way others (supposedly our own) did. He sat with the fans, drank with the fans and genuinely seemed to want the same as us, previous regimes would never have dreamt of being seen with the commoners.

He was a self made proven winner who presented and attempted to implement a sensible structure for Newcastle and reverse the suicidal policies of his predecessors.

Yet one of the men he appointed to help us move forward seems to be responsible for his ultimate and incredibly speedy downfall. You choose who you think that was.

I think it was Keegan to blame, but concede that most think it was someone else.

I've said since the mob started shouting for the benefit of TV viewers that we must be careful what we wish for. Whoever follows Ashley it's unlikely the real owner will ever set foot on Tyneside, they will be represented by someone and NUFC will be treat as just another asset on their books.

I think things are now too far gone for Ashley to return and try to move us forward his way, but I still think his vision and plan was our best ever chance, he WOULD have made us successful again.

I hope the new regime when it arrives will take us forward, and I will support them if they genuinely have Newcastle's interests at heart but I think we made a grave mistake when we hounded Mike Ashley out of town.

you must be smashed off your tits if you think he's nufc's best ever chairman/owner. SJH and FS are two better. SJH's inclusion is self-explanatory, and while Shepherd messed up badly numerous times, expanding the stadium and the success under Robson are on a different planet to anything Ashley's tried (but failed) to achieve.

ultimately he is accountable for whatever happens, it doesnt matter if you side with wise or keegan, think the structure is right or wrong, he is the one who was behind everything that has led us to this point. the proof is in the pudding - spent nowt, forced a good manager out, 2nd bottom, shite team, without a permanent manager, fan unrest, club up for sale, in the shit.

even if you backed his incredibly simplistic 'ideas' for how the club was to progess, you have to admit he's made an epic balls up of implementing those ideas. any set of theoretical ideas have to exercised out in the real world with its imperfect conditions. if the ideas fail to deal with this, then they themselves are imperfect.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ashley is the worst chairman/owner ever.

I like the guy but the fact he has fucked up on the scale he has in such a short time in my eyes makes him shit

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

It is a fact, Ashey treated the fans with utter contempt.

It is a fact, he is not the best chairman we've ever had.

Maybe not, I can't remember much before Lord Westwood but I certainly think Ashley was the best leader the club has had in that time and was the best chance we had for a stable and successful future.

Somehow though once again we've managed to totally mess it up and despite his almost universal early popularity many now regard him in the same way as the unpopular figures who headed the club before him.

He spent more money on Newcastle than anyone had ever done, he didn't look down his nose at fans as though they were something dirty he'd trod on like some previous leaders or insult us the way others (supposedly our own) did. He sat with the fans, drank with the fans and genuinely seemed to want the same as us, previous regimes would never have dreamt of being seen with the commoners.

He was a self made proven winner who presented and attempted to implement a sensible structure for Newcastle and reverse the suicidal policies of his predecessors.

Yet one of the men he appointed to help us move forward seems to be responsible for his ultimate and incredibly speedy downfall. You choose who you think that was.

I think it was Keegan to blame, but concede that most think it was someone else.

I've said since the mob started shouting for the benefit of TV viewers that we must be careful what we wish for. Whoever follows Ashley it's unlikely the real owner will ever set foot on Tyneside, they will be represented by someone and NUFC will be treat as just another asset on their books.

I think things are now too far gone for Ashley to return and try to move us forward his way, but I still think his vision and plan was our best ever chance, he WOULD have made us successful again.

I hope the new regime when it arrives will take us forward, and I will support them if they genuinely have Newcastle's interests at heart but I think we made a grave mistake when we hounded Mike Ashley out of town.

I agree but it really not worth all the new topics.  Load of people on here dont have a clue or have very short memorys so dont be upset when the disagree.

Total bollocks!

Ashley bought the club for a reasonable price and, because he didn't carry out the due dilligence, wasn't aware of the massive debt the club had. Fair enough he cleared the debt, but this was at the expense of investing money in the playing staff and meeting the promises he had made to the fans when he took over.

As for Keegan's appointment, Keegan was always going to be a luxury Ashley couldn't afford and Keegan was never going a lacky and yes man to Ashley and his cronies. As soon as Keegan saw through Ashely's empty promises he was off, and no one who knows Keegan and his reputation should be surprised by that.

:lol:

Why bother? Everyone had made their mind up on Tuesday 2nd September 2008.

If thats the level of debate the majority of fans can muster, fuck em.

I blame the media and video consoles.

you must be smashed off your tits if you think he's nufc's best ever chairman/owner. SJH and FS are two better. SJH's inclusion is self-explanatory, and while Shepherd messed up badly numerous times, expanding the stadium and the success under Robson are on a different planet to anything Ashley's tried (but failed) to achieve.

ultimately he is accountable for whatever happens, it doesnt matter if you side with wise or keegan, think the structure is right or wrong, he is the one who was behind everything that has led us to this point. the proof is in the pudding - spent nowt, forced a good manager out, 2nd bottom, s**** team, without a permanent manager, fan unrest, club up for sale, in the s***.

and you must be off yours if you think he could achieve what he wanted before the mob forced him out in 12 months.

We haven't had any success in 50 years with the regimes you're applauding.

Correction - he spent a lot and was willing to spend a lot more but try not waste it as the others had.

Correction - he did not force Keegan out any more than the previous regimes did when Keegan walked away twice before and it seems he was pleading with Keegan to return. Keegan has walked away from almost every job he's has once the going got tough - he doesn't need to be forced out. Ashley's mistake in hindsight was appointing him in the first place.

The rest of what you say is totally correct i.e. we're in the s***

but this was at the expense of investing money in the playing staff

Agree with you but picking up on this - in all the statements he's made he has never said that if he hadn't had to pay off the debt that any more would have been available for players.

The impression I have of the man is a bit schizo - some good intentions but they are obscured by bad ideas that have failed.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Keegan has walked away from almost every job he's has once the going got tough

Wrong.

Left Fulham to manage England.

Left Man City because he said he wouldn't sign a contract extention, they said "Ok, fuck off now then."

he didn’t so much “spend” a fortune but instead invested a fortune, a big difference as he (has and) will be getting substantial financial rewards from his investment, as all previous owners have before him, but never at such a high level as the present.

He has messed up and been found out, rather than fight for his dignity (from a man who has previously said he has balls of steel) he is now trying to run away with £150m+ profit from NUFC. Ashley can do this, we can’t, so just have to put up with it, I have hated the ‘charver mob’ behaviour to the media, but I can’t imagine ever having any sympathy for Ashley.

Keegan might have some responsibility for this situation, we might not ever find out whether he has, but Ashley has definitely been responsible.

ultimately he is accountable for whatever happens, it doesnt matter if you side with wise or keegan, think the structure is right or wrong, he is the one who was behind everything that has led us to this point. the proof is in the pudding - spent nowt, forced a good manager out, 2nd bottom, s**** team, without a permanent manager, fan unrest, club up for sale, in the s***.

and you must be off yours if you think he could achieve what he wanted before the mob forced him out in 12 months.

We haven't had any success in 50 years with the regimes you're applauding.

Correction - he spent a lot and was willing to spend a lot more but try not waste it as the others had.

Correction - he did not force Keegan out any more than the previous regimes did when Keegan walked away twice before and it seems he was pleading with Keegan to return. Keegan has walked away from almost every job he's has once the going got tough - he doesn't need to be forced out. Ashley's mistake in hindsight was appointing him in the first place.

The rest of what you say is totally correct i.e. we're in the s***

no body forced him out. Shepherd and Hall resigned for 10 months after the NOTW sting, laid low but still retained ownership during this time, and came back to executive roles, shepherd in particular nabbed himself a more powerful position. there's no reason why ashley couldn't have done the same. had he brought in a top class manager, backed him with funds and the team was successful, no one wouldve cared. but he was too stingy to do this.

he might not have had enough time to implement his ideas? I have Deja Vu all a sudden, that's exactly what Allardyce said about being forced out the club, too. If your plans are contingent upon taking a short-term 'hit' then they are not realistic or well thought-out plans. an owner or manager must keep people happy in the short term rather than deferring success to some imaginary, ideal future which, seeing as his plans were so flawed and unambitious in the first case, might never come.

load of rubbish.

How you can think anybody will succeed through scouting around lower leagues for bargains, and preventing their manager from running the club in the way he sees fit is beyond me.

Right back to the McKeag years make no mistake about it. That is why Keegan left, he realised he was working for a bunch of amateurs.

Wrong.

Left Man City because he said he wouldn't sign a contract extention, they said "Ok, f*** off now then."

You may have missed the "almost" bit so I've highlighted it.

Total bollocks!

Ashley bought the club for a reasonable price and, because he didn't carry out the due dilligence, wasn't aware of the massive debt the club had. Fair enough he cleared the debt, but this was at the expense of investing money in the playing staff and meeting the promises he had made to the fans when he took over.

As for Keegan's appointment, Keegan was always going to be a luxury Ashley couldn't afford and Keegan was never going a lacky and yes man to Ashley and his cronies. As soon as Keegan saw through Ashely's empty promises he was off, and no one who knows Keegan and his reputation should be surprised by that.

Sums the fans up would rather spend the cash on shiny new players than ensure the the club is debt free.  Should bring back fat fred for you

What rubbish. All the rewards from Ashley's investment in the club will be his own. The club is worse off now than when he bought it. Debt free? Big deal, the new owners may still take up a big loan to finance the club, like the Glazers did with their club. They could still have paid it off if he didn't do it. In short: it doesn't matter that he paid the debts off. What matters is the fact that he left the club in the shit.

Wrong.

Left Man City because he said he wouldn't sign a contract extention, they said "Ok, fuck off now then."

Keegan walking - is typical cockney bullshit of the type spouted by macca888.

Surprised at BenwellLad for posting such tripe to be honest.

he didn’t so much “spend” a fortune but instead invested a fortune, a big difference as he (has and) will be getting substantial financial rewards from his investment, as all previous owners have before him, but never at such a high level as the present.

He has messed up and been found out, rather than fight for his dignity (from a man who has previously said he has balls of steel) he is now trying to run away with £150m+ profit from NUFC. Ashley can do this, we can’t, so just have to put up with it, I have hated the ‘charver mob’ behaviour to the media, but I can’t imagine ever having any sympathy for Ashley.

Keegan might have some responsibility for this situation, we might not ever find out whether he has, but Ashley has definitely been responsible.

that's a good distinction to make re: spending and investing. ashley will get back more than he's spent when he sells up. also worth noting that by paying loans upfront he actually saves a massive amount money by avoiding future interest payments.

and again, part of the loan had to be repaid were the club to be sold as it was written into the conditions. this was very well known, had been reported by numerous sources and discussed on this forum plenty of times so i'd be massively suprised if Ashley or his cohorts didn't know this. so you can put that part of the loan down to the cost of buying the club.

Wrong.

Keegan walked out on City after becoming uninterested when the money dried up and after realising that he'd have to sell players to finance any more deals he didn't want to know, he soon jumped ship after Anelka was sold and took a bashing in the local paper off Distin for not showing any interest in the club towards the end.

load of rubbish.

How you can think anybody will succeed through scouting around lower leagues for bargains, and preventing their manager from running the club in the way he sees fit is beyond me.

Right back to the McKeag years make no mistake about it. That is why Keegan left, he realised he was working for a bunch of amateurs.

You took your time.

Good you've got rid of him. I hope his successors live up to your (and my) expectations.

One little point I thought they were being criticised for scouting around La Liga where we just managed to bring in two Argentine internationals. Is La Liga a lower league ?

What rubbish. All the rewards from Ashley's investment in the club will be his own. The club is worse off now than when he bought it. Debt free? Big deal, the new owners may still take up a big loan to finance the club, like the Glazers did with their club. They could still have paid it off if he didn't do it. In short: it doesn't matter that he paid the debts off. What matters is the fact that he left the club in the shit.

Dear Mr Bank Manager,

I know there is a credit crunch and whatnot but please could i borrow 350m to buy Newcastle United?

Your sincerely,

Mongo.

Dear Mr Bank Manager,

I know there is a credit crunch and whatnot but please could i borrow 350m to buy Newcastle United?

Your sincerely,

Mongo.