Bobby Robson Friendly Match

Guest Texasmag

Guest Jawesome

A One-off game this summer at Portman Road would be a great way to raise money for a very worthy cause.

SJP tbh.  Moar seats.

A One-off game this summer at Portman Road would be a great way to raise money for a very worthy cause.

SJP tbh.  Moar seats.

Something not quite right about playing a friendly at home to lower league oppo plus with two more glamourous friendlies it isn't likely to sell out whereas prob get a 30K full house down at Ipswich.

A fine sentiment, but do these online petitions ever work? The only one I can remember ever having an impact was on road pricing, and even that hasn't been completely defeated.

You'd be better going to the newspapers and sending some letters around than asking for anonymous signatures on some website iyam.

As I said before though, a fine idea. :thup:

SJP tbh.  Moar seats.

Something not quite right about playing a friendly at home to lower league oppo plus with two more glamourous friendlies it isn't likely to sell out whereas prob get a 30K full house down at Ipswich.

If it was for Bobby, was a select 11 for both teams and was a one off it would sell out easy just like Shearers.

I've signed it.

As someone said though a one off game at SJP would be more of an event instead of every season.

Definitely, this would be bang-on. Shame it might only happen after he pops his clogs (which hopefully won't be anytime soon.)

Fantastic man. Would probably top my list of people in football who I'd like to share a pint with, could listen to him all day.

I've signed it.

As someone said though a one off game at SJP would be more of an event instead of every season.

I think that some kind of 'annual event' is a great idea, it gets away from the normal "one-off" event that most things are. It perhaps would not work if it was just us playing them each year though. Perhaps it could be something like . . .

Year ONE - Them v us (first teams) at Ipswich.

Year TWO - Us v Them (first teams) at SJP

Year THREE - Us v Them (Home AND Away) - YOUTH Teams.

Year FOUR - A 'Four-team Mini TOURNAMENT' (Youth Teams from us and Ipswich, plus local rivals Norwich and Sunderland) at SJP.

Year FIVE - Same as above, but at Ipswich.

THEREAFTER - Alternating 4-team Youth Tournaments, between the venues.

Could evolve into a permanent tradition, and if Sir Bobby's charity ceases (for any reason) it could be played for another similar-type of charity.

An excellent original idea anyway Texasmag - I have just tried to 'flesh it out' a bit, to keep it going!

Guest saintscoobz

Great idea, i have signed.

Maybe have some sort of Sir Bobby Cup pre season tournament with proceeds going to his charity.  Would be better than flying to Japan and playing in the Umbro Cup or some other daft corporate pre season shenanigans.

Maybe have some sort of Sir Bobby Cup pre season tournament with proceeds going to his charity.  Would be better than flying to Japan and playing in the Umbro Cup or some other daft corporate pre season shenanigans.

I like the tournament idea more than anything else suggested so far, could become a staple thing for a few years including a raft of previous clubs (whoever was available)?

PSV, Barcelona, Sporting, Porto, Us, Ipswich, Fulham and WBA aren't exactly a bad pool to choose from!

Obviously the venue could change each year, along with the participants. It'd be a bugger to organise, but could be a very nice touch for a very good man.

Guest Texasmag

Thanks for your support. :thup:

This all started at the weekend. Got talking on another message board about how frail Sir Bobby looked at the FA CUP final, and wouldn't it be great if something could be organised over the summer, as pre=season would be perfect. I emailed the club on Staurday.

This is what I sent:

Subject: Sir Bobby Robson.

To Whom It May Concern,

After watching the F.A. Cup Final today, I was very upset to see Sir

Bobby looking so frail. This man is a legend and should be honoured as

such.

I am a member of a Newcastle football forum, and the health of Sir

Bobby was raised, and how more funds could be raised for his charity.

As Pre-Season will soon be upon us, my suggestion was what if we could

play some of the clubs that Sir Bobby has managed, ie. Ipswich,

Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, F.C. Porto, PSV Eindhoven and Fulham.

Fulham being his first managerial appointment in 1968.

All games being played at St. James Park, with all proceeds benefiting

his charity the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation which he recently launched.

Sir Bobby could attend, and at the same time see his charity benefit.

This would be a wonderful opportunity for the fans to say "Thank You".

Please could you forward this email to the relevant department for

their

consideration.

Thanks in advance.

I got a reply today:

Good afternoon

Although I am unable to comment on the content of your email, I

acknowledge its receipt and confirm that your opinion is noted

Kind regards

Maria

Customer Services

Sir Bobby's PA has been informed and wants to talk about it, and also the Ipswich Town Supporters Club have been in touch. Hopefully this will take off.

Spread the word.

Great stuff mate, good luck with it, I'm sure all the fansites/fanzines will be very willing to help such a good cause so it might be worth getting in touch with all of them too!

I like the tournament idea more than anything else suggested so far, could become a staple thing for a few years including a raft of previous clubs (whoever was available)?

PSV, Barcelona, Sporting, Porto, Us, Ipswich, Fulham and WBA aren't exactly a bad pool to choose from!

Obviously the venue could change each year, along with the participants. It'd be a bugger to organise, but could be a very nice touch for a very good man.

the tournament is a great idea, would make masses of money if we could get the likes of Sporting, Barca and PSV here.

i like the idea of a match between "his 2 teams". i also likie the idea of a friendly against the same team or so every close season. even hartlepool one season then darlo the next would be canny to add some sort of regularity or tradition