Author Topic: The homeowners' thread  (Read 106760 times)

Re: The homeowners' thread
« Reply #2650 on: Wednesday 1 November 2017, 12:58:34 PM »
Get an electrican to sort it and send the bill to the painter. Sorry, but it's true. :lol:

Cheers Dave. Electrician sorted it. Painter walked off site.

I now have a bright light showing off the imperfections in my bare wall.

:thup:.

« Reply #2651 on: Tuesday 7 November 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
Sold my house today. Feel like wandering the streets with a brown bag looking scared and alone.

Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

« Reply #2652 on: Tuesday 7 November 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
Sold my house today. Feel like wandering the streets with a brown bag looking scared and alone.

Congratulations!

If the worst comes to the worst you could hop on a bus west. I have a lot of leaves that need blowing.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

« Reply #2653 on: Tuesday 7 November 2017, 04:52:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer, but my days of blowing in Ohio are in the past. Unless the wire transfer doesn't come through.

« Reply #2654 on: Wednesday 8 November 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
I want to move house but last time I had mine up for sale it took about 3 months the sell and the house I wanted was no longer available so I had to stop the sale of mine is there an easier way ?

« Reply #2655 on: Wednesday 8 November 2017, 09:26:45 PM »
Sell yours for less money / find a different house to buy.

« Reply #2656 on: Wednesday 8 November 2017, 09:50:47 PM »
And where do I live with all my stuff and dog in the meantime? And where will the wife and kid go ?

madras

• Philosoraptor
« Reply #2657 on: Wednesday 8 November 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
And where do I live with all my stuff and dog in the meantime? And where will the wife and kid go ?
I like your prioritising. O0

1 My stuff
2 Dog
3 Wife
4 Kid
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

« Reply #2658 on: Wednesday 8 November 2017, 10:42:39 PM »
Rent/AirBNB temporarily, put stuff in storage. You have to be flexible unfortunately. And yes, it's f***ing s***.

« Reply #2659 on: Wednesday 8 November 2017, 10:57:34 PM »
WE took some old fitted wardbrobes out of a bedroom yesterday and had a painter in today to make good etc behind them.

There was an old Electrical cable from a lighting circuit hanging out of the wall, taped up which was asked him to get rid of.

He buried it into the wall and filled in around it and has now painted the wall.

Since he left the upstairs lights keep tripping out.

Anyone with any electrical knowledge give me a steer as to how it can be sorted?

Sounds like your man hasn't sufficiently insulated the individual cores and they've shorted out.

You can either dig them out of the wall, terminate and insulate them properly. Or trace back to where they come from and disconnect there. I'd go up into the loft directly above and try to trace where the cable goes. If it's possible to disconnect at the other end you can just snip off above where the wall light was and leave the little length of redundant cable in the wall.

« Reply #2660 on: Wednesday 8 November 2017, 10:59:34 PM »
And I've just read it's sorted. Played henke lad. :lol:

« Reply #2661 on: Saturday 11 November 2017, 11:35:41 AM »
Need a bit of advice for a remortgage for my lass.

She is with halifax and been offered:

2.19% until 31/01/2020 or 2.98% until 31/01/2023  I noticed first direct had 2.49% and no fees. The question is should she go for the 5 year with interest rates going up? and if its 5 year would it be better to switch to FD? would she then have to pay valuation fees again etc tho?

Cheers

« Reply #2662 on: Monday 20 November 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
what sort of money do people pay for an annual boiler service?
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

« Reply #2663 on: Tuesday 21 November 2017, 06:20:32 AM »
£45

Disco

• Me watching Isaac Hayden
« Reply #2664 on: Tuesday 21 November 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
Think ours is around that ballpark figure too. If you had it installed recently (or by the same firm) chances are it might be cheaper IIRC.

« Reply #2665 on: Tuesday 21 November 2017, 02:11:05 PM »
f*** you, leaves.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.