Alan Smith

tmonkey

Why does Big Sam refuse to take Smith off, no matter how little hes doing?

He was utterly invisible today except for barking at the referee/linesman, even more so (if thats possible) when pushed back into midfield.

Its not an encouraging situation when a manager has untouchables in his team, less so when the player in question isnt exactly world class. Im sure other players arent going to be happy in private when they get taken off and Allardyce's favourite doesnt irrespective of performance.

one of the only things roy keane ever taught smith was to have a go at the ref and every other official within ear shot. Doesn't make him a bad player just when he isn't doing it on the pitch his bitching can become that more annoying.

I thought he looked alright today, except he didn't shoot when he should have.

I think hes a handy/decent forward, but nearly every game Big Sam has lookd to bring an attacker on, its always been done by pushing Smith back into midfield and taking a midfielder off. And in every case, Smith has been completely anonymous when this has happened, far more so than the midfielder hes replaced.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

i've had it with Smith, his attitude is great but he's been absolute bollocks for us, sad to say but half the player that c*** Dyer is

That's also a good comparison in that Smith doesn't seem to have natural position in any tactical strategy Newcastle employs.

He's never prepared to finish when the time comes, his decision making is usually poor, and I think his ability to concentrate is often overcome by his tendency to jaw at the referee. 

That said his industriousness always shows, he seems to be comfortable as a "leader" in the dressing room, and he has a desire to win that I'm not sure I see in other players very much.

All in all, I think he would be more successful as a substitute when his energy is concentrated on a shorter period of time.  I think the role would also help his focus.  As a starter he is crap, and the sooner Sam realizes this, the better.

i've had it with Smith, his attitude is great but he's been absolute bollocks for us, sad to say but half the player that c*** Dyer is

That's also a good comparison in that Smith doesn't seem to have natural position in any tactical strategy Newcastle employs.

He's never prepared to finish when the time comes, his decision making is usually poor, and I think his ability to concentrate is often overcome by his tendency to jaw at the referee. 

That said his industriousness always shows, he seems to be comfortable as a "leader" in the dressing room, and he has a desire to win that I'm not sure I see in other players very much.

All in all, I think he would be more successful as a substitute when his energy is concentrated on a shorter period of time.  I think the role would also help his focus.  As a starter he is crap, and the sooner Sam realizes this, the better.

he wont though, he paid £6m for Smith and came out saying shit like it was great business, he can't hide behind the age/adaptation period bollocks like he can with Enrique

Yeps.

I think the team is a bit messy at the moment but it'll calm down eventually, then we'll see more from our players imo. Smith is definately a support striker though, never a midfielder, as he showed against arsenal - which he was our best player that day.

Yeps.

I think the team is a bit messy at the moment but it'll calm down eventually, then we'll see more from our players imo. Smith is definately a support striker though, never a midfielder, as he showed against arsenal - which he was our best player that day.

even then he looked more likely to grow a beard than score

I remember when Scott Parker was our best player against Arsenal a few years back, that didn't make him good enough either. The reason being that against teams like Arsenal you know you're not going to match up to them on footballing ability so you need players to graft, get stuck in and not give the opposition any time to play. Against the other teams though when we're expected to take the game to them Parker (like Smith) offers fuck all in an attacking sense and contributes little or nothing when we need to push on. 

Kieron Dyer is easily a better footballer than Smith, it isn't even a contest ffs.

Keiron Dyer is a better footballer than anyone in our midfield, it isnt even a contest tbh