Steve McClaren

Dave

Okay, nothing we didn't know already, but Terry Butcher is spot on:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7078465.stm

McClaren criticised over Beckham

Former England captain Terry Butcher believes Steve McClaren's Los Angeles visit to see David Beckham in a charity game was a "farcical" waste of time.

The England coach flew over to check on the fitness of the 32-year-old, who scored twice in LA Galaxy's 12-4 win over a team featuring celebrities.

Brentford boss Butcher told BBC Radio 5 Live: "For the England manager to be watching that is farcical.

"What can Beckham show the England manager in that sort of game?"

The match was held to raise funds for those affected by the California forest fires and featured celebrities including Without a Trace star Anthony LaPaglia.

The Football Association told BBC Sport McClaren's visit was nothing out of the ordinary.

"Steve checks on the availability and fitness of all his players - it was a routine trip," said an FA spokesman.

Beckham joined LA Galaxy from Real Madrid in the summer and said he was enjoying his experience in the United States.

"I am loving it," he said, although the Major League Soccer season is now over.

"It's been great so far, very positive and smooth apart from the season."

The former Manchester United player missed England's Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia because of a knee injury but will be hoping to be in the squad to face Croatia on 21 November.

On Friday, McClaren will name his squad for the friendly against Austria on 16 November and the crunch tie with Croatia.

Russia must not win in Israel four days earlier in order for England to keep alive their hopes of reaching next year's European finals.

Beckham was recalled to the England squad by McClaren in June after being ignored since England lost in the World Cup quarter-final against Portugal in July 2006.

He played in the Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia and friendlies against Brazil and Germany but has not featured since in the England team because of his knee problems.

The former England captain has played 97 times for his country since his debut in 1996.

:idiot2:

Is there really nothing better he could have done with that time and money?

WITHOUT a Trace star Anthony LaPaglia had possibly his toughest case yet last night when he played goalie in a charity match against David Beckham's LA Galaxy.

The match, to raise money for victims of the California wildfires, saw LA Galaxy up against Vinnie Jones's Hollywood Sunday league team - Hollywood United - which includes the likes of LaPaglia, Def Leppard guitarist Viv Campbell, former Sex Pistol Paul Cook and Superman Returns star Brandon Routh.

The match, played at LA Galaxy's Home Depot Centre stadium, was not all one-way traffic for the professional players.

The Sunday amateurs count among their number former Chelsea and France international Franck Lebeouf and former Scotland and Rangers player Richard McGough.

he went over to check Beckham's fitness against this bunch?

Trying to get a new job when he gets sacked next month:

Frank Yallop has reportedly quit as coach of David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy.

Yallop endured a difficult season in charge of the Galaxy during which the club was constantly under the media spotlight due to the arrival of Beckham.

Beckham's impact was limited due to a number of injuries and the Galaxy's season petered out as they failed to make the play-offs.

According to a report by the San Jose Mercury News , Yallop has left the club to return to San Jose and coach the Earthquakes.

The Earthquakes, who return to Major League Soccer in 2008,

signed Yallop to a three-year contract after acquiring his rights from the Los Angeles Galaxy for a third-round pick in January, Quakes General Manager John Doyle said.

"As we're starting anew, this is a step in the right direction," Doyle is quoted as saying. "Frank has history here, his best years of coaching were here, and he has a great way with players. We needed a good name and good coach, and we have that in Frank."

Beckham was taking part in a charity match for Southern California's wildfire victims.on Sunday night against a Hollywood United side.

Beckham scored twice in front of the watching England manager Steve McClaren as Galaxy cantered to a 12-4 win

WITHOUT a Trace star Anthony LaPaglia had possibly his toughest case yet last night when he played goalie in a charity match against David Beckham's LA Galaxy.

The match, to raise money for victims of the California wildfires, saw LA Galaxy up against Vinnie Jones's Hollywood Sunday league team - Hollywood United - which includes the likes of LaPaglia, Def Leppard guitarist Viv Campbell, former Sex Pistol Paul Cook and Superman Returns star Brandon Routh.

The match, played at LA Galaxy's Home Depot Centre stadium, was not all one-way traffic for the professional players.

The Sunday amateurs count among their number former Chelsea and France international Franck Lebeouf and former Scotland and Rangers player Richard McGough.

:laugh:

:laugh:

Obvioulsy thought his name wasn't Scottish enough for him McScottish McMag.

im quite amazed that a team of celebrities managed to get 4 goals against a professional team!!

Says it all.

edit: now that I think about it, that seems more impressive than anything our National team has done. Some of those actors should get capped.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LucaAltieri
FA to meet over McClaren future

The Football Association is to hold a board meeting on Thursday at 0830 GMT to discuss Steve McClaren's future.

After his side failed to qualify for Euro 2008, McClaren insisted he would not resign as England coach.

"I'm not stepping down," McClaren told BBC Sport after England, who needed just a point to qualify from Group E, lost 3-2 to Croatia at Wembley.

"I take responsiblity - it was my job to get us qualified and I failed to do it. I'm not discussing my future."

BBC chief football correspondent Mike Ingham told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Steve McClaren is scheduled to go to South Africa on Friday for the World Cup draw on Sunday.

"Something has to be sorted out before then."

Scott Carson's awful attempt to stop Niko Kranjcar's shot gifted Croatia an early lead and Slaven Bilic's side went in at the break 2-0 up after Ivica Olic capitalised on some ponderous defending.

Frank Lampard's penalty and Peter Crouch's superb volley hauled England level, but Mladen Petric's raking shot gave Croatia the win.

"We feel exactly the same as the fans, believe you me, we know how they are feeling," said McClaren.

"I' m not looking to the future, I'm thinking about this game, what could have been, what wasn't, and really how we get over this."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7100393.stm

Where are all the posters who thought SGE was a crap manager?

He was when it mattered.

What he was very capable of doing though was get a good squad of players playing well enough to qualify for major tournaments.

How the fuck can McLaren not get that team of footballers to qualify

Where are all the posters who thought SGE was a crap manager?

Neither of them were particularly good England managers. Sven could have gone the same way if Beckham hadn't come up with the goods in the 93rd minute against Greece.

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

Looks pretty good to me. He fucked up the WC when he picked his squad.

I think its just that SGE won most of the games that I think we would expect England too bearing in mind the quality that we have.

The fact that McLaren struggled against the likes of Macedonia is staggering

Guest LucaAltieri

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

Looks pretty good to me. He fucked up the WC when he picked his squad.

He's not a motivator. Over the course of a season (or qualification) he could get it right. But in terms of getting players fired up for the big game he was hopeless (see Chelsea vs. Man City)

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

Looks pretty good to me. He f***** up the WC when he picked his squad.

He's not a motivator. Over the course of a season (or qualification) he could get it right. But in terms of getting players fired up for the big game he was hopeless (see Chelsea vs. Man City)

yet many in the england camp said he could motivate, i'll counter your chelsea v citeh with germany v england,.