Women's World Cup

Dave

I bet you thought this thread was going to be controversially supporting women's football, celebrating the ladies game and asking for us all to get behind England and the World Cup in general.

It's not.

Let the piss-taking commence. I'm at work, comedy updates please.

That goalkeeper and the defence were a joke!

and it doesn't do a lot to promote the Women's game, if you want to think that way, although Germany are probably the team to beat.

in comparison in the men's game.

World Cup Finals, biggest margins of victory.

Hungary 9 v South Korea 0, 1954;

Yugoslavia 9 v Zaire 0, 1974;

Hungary 10 v El Salvador 1, 1982.

World Cup Qualifiers:

Australia 31 American Samoa 0. 2001.

Alan Partridge got it 100% spot on:

Womens football = Monkey Tennis.

Alan Partridge wouldn't be able to beat a monkey at tennis, so who cares what he thinks?

some male journalists said something similar, so the England women's team challenged them to a match and well and truly spanked them. That was about 11-0 as well.

really?? thats shocking.

ohh dear, i just realised that england will be facing the same old problem.......HEAT.

1pm kick off vs japan.  WOnder if the girls can cope with the temp better than the men did in 2002?

Hopefully. The temperature always seems to make things difficult though, we're just not used to it.

The women's team are not ranked as highly as the men's so the expectation isn't as great, but I think they will do ok.

Must beat Argentina well now and should beat Japan to go through. Though it would also be canny if they don't get beat by Germany.

Japan v England- 11 September, 1300 BST, Shanghai

1245 BST, BBC TWO/online

Alan Partridge wouldn't be able to beat a monkey at tennis, so who cares what he thinks?

some male journalists said something similar, so the England women's team challenged them to a match and well and truly spanked them. That was about 11-0 as well.

So your saying the women's team of one of the greatest footballing nations on Earth is only as good as a team made up of fat journalists?

So your saying the women's team of one of the greatest footballing nations on Earth is only as good as a team made up of fat journalists?

Nope. I didn't say that. Of course they are much better than that.

But the sports journalists thought they were being clever and said they could beat the lasses but they were wrong.

I'm not sure what it would take to prove whatever it is that women's football is supposed to have to prove anyway. No one takes the piss out of women sprinters or marathon runners so why do they do it with football so much? If the FA had left well alone last century then the women's game would have progressed as it should have and we'd be over this by now.

Yeah, who does that Alan Partridge think he is?