Author Topic: Why we have a pretty good chance of finishing above Arsenal next season.  (Read 50842 times)

Re: Why we have a pretty good chance of finishing above Arsenal next season.
« Reply #25 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 10:58:44 PM »
I think with every remaining player we sign now, our views and expectations will change.

This is why I'm loving this summers transfer window because with the whole the transfer fund uncertainty; we're being linked with the likes of Deco one week and an unknown player the next. I think most of us have been kept on our toes about whats happening next these past couple of months and so I'm going to remain tight lipped on my expectations until the day the window shuts.

I'm guessing theres quite a few twists and turns ahead and if we strengthen much further than I really believe we can make it into the top 6. Heres hoping eh blueyes.gif

Agree completely. Interesting close season still ahead. One thing is certain though, Allardyce is targetting players at varying price levels (free to VERY expensive, we will find) but we will not know how strong we will be for a while yet, but we will be much stronger (quality plus numbers) than last season, I feel.

Depending on what happens before end of transfer window, we can end up fighting for 3rd, or scrapping for bottom end of top six.

It is an exciting close season though - is it not?

« Reply #26 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:01:46 PM »
What makes it more crazy is the current state of the premiership.

Already this summer we have dramatically improved the squad and are on the way to possibly the best summers reshaping ever.

Yet even the likes of Deco wouldnt guarentee we are even that much closer to the top four.

Manure have spent a bomb
Arsenal have a bit of money to burn to the already exciting squad
Chelsea have added to the team and havent even spent yet...its coming.
Liverpool have brought in one of the most sort after strikers in Europe and are looking to cherry pick the best to theyre already solid team.
Spurs Bought Bent, Bale, will no doubt sign every up and coming talent in the world plus Messi,Ronaldo and God before the window ends.

Then we have the takeover club, Ourselves, Villa,pompey, West Ham and Man city all determined to make a statement and imprint to take the teams forward.

I think we could take four steps forward this summer but it would only relate to one with whats going on around us in the premiership. Mad close season, and im really hyped about what the new season will bring.
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

« Reply #27 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:10:05 PM »

Already this summer we have dramatically improved the squad and are on the way to possibly the best summers reshaping ever.

Yet even the likes of Deco wouldnt guarentee we are even that much closer to the top four.

Manure have spent a bomb
Liverpool have brought in one of the most sort after strikers in Europe and are looking to cherry pick the best to theyre already solid team.
Spurs Bought Bent, Bale, will no doubt sign every up and coming talent in the world plus Messi,Ronaldo and God before the window ends.

Then we have the takeover club, Ourselves, Villa,pompey, West Ham and Man city all determined to make a statement and imprint to take the teams forward.

I think we could take four steps forward this summer but it would only relate to one with whats going on around us in the premiership. Mad close season, and im really hyped about what the new season will bring.

I think we are making "dramatic" improvements, that will be more noticeable on the field than any of the other clubs. With Michael Owen, added to Allardyces organisation and a much stronger (I'm sure) defence, our other good players (Emre, Dyer, Zoggy, etc) will be able to perform so much better (in front of the more solid defence, more 'time' on the attack, etc). In addition to any new players we purchase (or have already purchased) I think we will effectively be getting "25% more" (say) from many others we already had, if you know what I mean!

Like buying lots of new 'quarters of' players!!

It all adds up to a radical improvement - and we don't even know the details of players-still-to-come yet!

This is SO much better than for years  -  just have to watch I don't get carried away  -  but I think I am being logical and analytical about this (?)

To sum up  -  I think we ARE closing the gap!!

« Reply #28 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:11:09 PM »
I love the optimism of this thread, but I just don't see it as a reality.  Not yet, as I think it will take time for our squad to buy into Big Sam's
coaching and like previously mentioned, the squad will take time to settle. 

We should be aiming as high as possible, but what's first and foremost is to build the club's depth up like Liverpool have done while we were
on our slide.  Build the brand of NUFC so we can look as an attractive club as the big 4 to play for, it's the only way we'll be able to compete
with the big boys for years to come. 

I know we've long run out of patience to win something, but we can't slip further behind or we'll never catch up. 

WHAT OPTIMISM!  All the nodding dogs have fallen into line. HIT THE NORTH!!

« Reply #29 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:12:45 PM »
I don't think Arsenal are in any crisis and my head tells me they'll finish top 4. They just finished level on points with Liverpool despite spending most of the season without Henry and Van Persie. Henry has been replaced and Van Persie is back and fresh. Their youth is that bid older and more experienced now, and I expect one or two to step up the way Eboue, Toure etc did before them. Diaby, Adebayor and Walcott should all improve and Van Persie was on fire before he got injured last season.

However, Gallas's quotes do suggest all is not rosy there and we've seen ourselves how a few bad eggs or poor morale in general in the dressing room can really disrupt a team's unity on the field. Heads go down a lot quicker and a glass half full becomes a glass half empty. They need a good start to the season to avoid that, they really do.

We only play the 'big four' a total of 8 times in the league. The rest of the season consists of 30 games. People often look at it negatively, assuming we have to be a better team than Arsenal to finish above them. In fact, we just need to be more consistent, picking up as many points as possible in those 30 games and trying to get whatever we can against those teams bigger than us. When Everton finished 4th and Liverpool 5th, Liverpool were clearly the better side, but failed to produce the points quite as consistently. When we finished 3rd under Bobby Robson 4 years ago, we were considered outside title contenders by the media until the last few weeks of the season. Clearly Man Utd and Arsenal were much better teams than us, but we just kept picking up the 'easier' points and focused only on ourselves. It's not about comparing us with Arsenal, it's about picking up more points than them against teams like Reading, Wigan, Derby, Boro, Villa etc, etc, etc.

A couple of good defenders and a real injection of quality like Deco, coupled with a bigger squad and a better manager, and maybe we'll be picking up the 'easier' points more consistently. As for Spurs, I don't think we're behind them at all, for a large part of last season they were distinctly average before making a charge, just as we did the season before finishing 7th. Also both Spurs and Arsenal have Europe to worry about, we don't, and that could make a significant difference when the fixtures are coming thick and fast and they're flying to Tblisi or wherever while we enjoy a midweek break.

I'm more worried about us, if we sort ourselves out we can pick up points regularly and let Spurs, Arsenal etc worry about themselves.

Best reply to the proposition so far.

hagler

« Reply #30 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:12:50 PM »
when you look at it....its almost like theres not enough good buys / players, around for us and the other clubs that are going through a revival.       

down to the managers now.......and sam aint doing that bad

« Reply #31 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:13:06 PM »
I actually think we'll finish higher next season than we will the year after. Think there's a wave of optimism about at the moment that will really push us far.
Mums are the creatures that hold the world together and if it wasn't for your mum then you probably wouldn't have even ever been born.

« Reply #32 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:14:13 PM »
I think with every remaining player we sign now, our views and expectations will change.

This is why I'm loving this summers transfer window because with the whole the transfer fund uncertainty; we're being linked with the likes of Deco one week and an unknown player the next. I think most of us have been kept on our toes about whats happening next these past couple of months and so I'm going to remain tight lipped on my expectations until the day the window shuts.

I'm guessing theres quite a few twists and turns ahead and if we strengthen much further than I really believe we can make it into the top 6. Heres hoping eh blueyes.gif

Agree completely. Interesting close season still ahead. One thing is certain though, Allardyce is targetting players at varying price levels (free to VERY expensive, we will find) but we will not know how strong we will be for a while yet, but we will be much stronger (quality plus numbers) than last season, I feel.

Depending on what happens before end of transfer window, we can end up fighting for 3rd, or scrapping for bottom end of top six.

It is an exciting close season though - is it not?

Quality post obviously one who thinks for himself.

« Reply #33 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:15:44 PM »

Manure have spent a bomb

Tbh the Spurs buys are mediocre, nothing like the imagination and savvy Sam has shown.

« Reply #34 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:17:28 PM »
Half the problem with the supporter base is that it has grown used to mediocrity and is apprehensive on the whole about the revival.

Fear is half the fear.  :cheesy:

« Reply #35 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
i wouldn't be surpised if wenger surprised a few people and they challenge for a bit this season. he usually gets it right when it comes to judging the right time to let a player leave. also wouldn't surprise me if henry's best years turn out to be the ones spent at arsenal.

He gets nothing right anymore he's finished. Arc of interest. Setting of sun. Leaving of mascot....Grampus 8/ Monaco got lucky...2 good buys from average manager.

« Reply #36 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:20:34 PM »
I just need to see what Ashley actually does this summer. We havent really done anything yet we werent going to do anyway under Allardyce, although the takeover could have been persuasive on the last 2 signings. If we move in the next couple of weeks then the answer to this may be clearer.

« Reply #37 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:20:42 PM »
I don't think Arsenal are in any crisis and my head tells me they'll finish top 4. They just finished level on points with Liverpool despite spending most of the season without Henry and Van Persie. Henry has been replaced and Van Persie is back and fresh. Their youth is that bid older and more experienced now, and I expect one or two to step up the way Eboue, Toure etc did before them. Diaby, Adebayor and Walcott should all improve and Van Persie was on fire before he got injured last season.

However, Gallas's quotes do suggest all is not rosy there and we've seen ourselves how a few bad eggs or poor morale in general in the dressing room can really disrupt a team's unity on the field. Heads go down a lot quicker and a glass half full becomes a glass half empty. They need a good start to the season to avoid that, they really do.

We only play the 'big four' a total of 8 times in the league. The rest of the season consists of 30 games. People often look at it negatively, assuming we have to be a better team than Arsenal to finish above them. In fact, we just need to be more consistent, picking up as many points as possible in those 30 games and trying to get whatever we can against those teams bigger than us. When Everton finished 4th and Liverpool 5th, Liverpool were clearly the better side, but failed to produce the points quite as consistently. When we finished 3rd under Bobby Robson 4 years ago, we were considered outside title contenders by the media until the last few weeks of the season. Clearly Man Utd and Arsenal were much better teams than us, but we just kept picking up the 'easier' points and focused only on ourselves. It's not about comparing us with Arsenal, it's about picking up more points than them against teams like Reading, Wigan, Derby, Boro, Villa etc, etc, etc.

A couple of good defenders and a real injection of quality like Deco, coupled with a bigger squad and a better manager, and maybe we'll be picking up the 'easier' points more consistently. As for Spurs, I don't think we're behind them at all, for a large part of last season they were distinctly average before making a charge, just as we did the season before finishing 7th. Also both Spurs and Arsenal have Europe to worry about, we don't, and that could make a significant difference when the fixtures are coming thick and fast and they're flying to Tblisi or wherever while we enjoy a midweek break.

I'm more worried about us, if we sort ourselves out we can pick up points regularly and let Spurs, Arsenal etc worry about themselves.

Best reply to the proposition so far.

That's a spot on post. Hearts didn't nearly win the SPL two seasons ago because they were better than Celtic & Rangers, they were just miles better than the rest of the pack, capable of beating Rangers & Celtic on a good day.
Mums are the creatures that hold the world together and if it wasn't for your mum then you probably wouldn't have even ever been born.

Rey Mysterio

« Reply #38 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:25:05 PM »
Arsenal play some cracking football and create numerous chances, especially at home. All they've been lacking is a natural finisher to stick them all away and i believe in Eduardo Da Silva, they have found their man. I haven't made him captain of my new premierleague.com fantasy football team for nothing!  :shifty:

« Reply #39 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:25:42 PM »
I just need to see what Ashley actually does this summer. We havent really done anything yet we werent going to do anyway under Allardyce, although the takeover could have been persuasive on the last 2 signings. If we move in the next couple of weeks then the answer to this may be clearer.

Don't f*** about Chez you know as well as I do everything is ON!!

« Reply #40 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:26:24 PM »
Half the problem with the supporter base is that it has grown used to mediocrity and is apprehensive on the whole about the revival.

Something that often gets to me (and I write about it on here) is the sense of 'inferiority' that shines out in some of the unbelieving and consequently 'negative' comments on here.  These feelings are somewhat understandable, in the younger/newer supporter, particularly.

But, we are entering into a completely different and new era, and hopefully people will soon be able to shake off these feelings of inferiority. It can be done, without going 'too far' the other way. There is still a lot of work to be done - just believe that it WILL be done!

I strongly feel the same sense of "a new world" that we are in, in the same way that I felt it when we won the battle against McKeag in the early 90s.

« Reply #41 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:26:48 PM »
Arsenal play some cracking football and create numerous chances, especially at home. All they've been lacking is a natural finisher to stick them all away and i believe in Eduardo Da Silva, they have found their man. I haven't made him captain of my new premierleague.com fantasy football team for nothing!  :shifty:

The old 'stick it away' lark.

« Reply #42 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:27:35 PM »
They tried that with "fox in the box" Jeffers didn't they?

« Reply #43 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:28:47 PM »

Something that often gets to me (and I write about it on here) is the sense of 'inferiority' that shines out in some of the unbelieving and consequently 'negative' comments on here.  These feelings are somewhat understandable, in the younger/newer supporter, particularly.

But, we are entering into a completely different and new era, and hopefully people will soon be able to shake off these feelings of inferiority. It can be done, without going 'too far' the other way. There is still a lot of work to be done - just believe that it WILL be done!

I strongly feel the same sense of "a new world" that we are in, in the same way that I felt it when we won the battle against McKeag in the early 90s.

Get in Manorpark!! Feel the power!!  :thup:

« Reply #44 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:29:37 PM »

Was he purchased by the walking god Wenger?

« Reply #45 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:29:45 PM »

Get in Manorpark!! Feel the power!!  :thup:

I am trying . . .  so I'm told!!

« Reply #46 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:31:05 PM »

Was he purchased by the walking god Wenger?

He was indeedy. Along with his other bargain basement strikers such as Suker (9m?), Wiltord (£11m) & Reyes (£13m).

« Reply #47 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:32:02 PM »

Its not that clear though yet. I just want to see the first signing that the club could not have made without Ashley. So far, we have done everything that we could have done anyway.

I feel the changes in the direction of the wind.

« Reply #48 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:34:23 PM »

Its not that clear though yet. I just want to see the first signing that the club could not have made without Ashley. So far, we have done everything that we could have done anyway.

I feel the changes in the direction of the wind.

It is people like you Chez that feel the kiss of destiny.

Rey Mysterio

« Reply #49 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:35:18 PM »

They did. The difference was, he's pants.