Author Topic: Why we have a pretty good chance of finishing above Arsenal next season.  (Read 50879 times)

So, you're all thinking it's a long shot and that maybe in 2/3 seasons. But why is that?
Not so long ago we finished 7th under Roeder after flirting with relegation with half a squad and kids filling in week in week out.

Arsenal are in a much worse state than people realise. Henry their kingpin and mascot is gone and will soon be followed by Fabregas (Real).
Ljundberg is coming to the end of his usefullness and Reyes will not return. They have had defensive problems all last season...Others have already read
the writing on the wall (Gallas)...With comments about not winning owt with kids etc...Wenger is weakened without his general Dien.

We on the other hand have arguably one of the best strike forces in the PL and are slowly putting together a defence to match, the puzzle is coming together.
If we start factoring in the arrival of types such as Deco and maybe one or two other quality players we are in a position to compete for 4th.

The situation as I see is that Manu and Chelsea are miles ahead and Liverpool will  start to catch up this year, but currently Arsenal are vulernable. Spurs and us will give 4th a run for its money.

Why not?

Re: Why we have a pretty good chance of finishing above Arsenal next season.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 08:27:19 PM »
So, you're all thinking it's a long shot and that maybe in 2/3 seasons. But why is that?
Not so long ago we finished 7th under Roeder after flirting with relegation with half a squad and kids filling in week in week out.

Arsenal are in a much worse state than people realise. Henry their kingpin and mascot is gone and will soon be followed by Fabregas (Real).
Ljundberg is coming to the end of his usefullness and Reyes will not return. They have had defensive problems all last season...Others have already read
the writing on the wall (Gallas)...With comments about not winning owt with kids etc...Wenger is weakened without his general Dien.

We on the other hand have arguably one of the best strike forces in the PL and are slowly putting together a defence to match, the puzzle is coming together.
If we start factoring in the arrival of types such as Deco and maybe one or two other quality players we are in a position to compete for 4th.

The situation as I see is that Manu and Chelsea are miles ahead and Liverpool will  start to catch up this year, but currently Arsenal are vulernable. Spurs and us will give 4th a run for its money.

Why not?

It's possible yes but i think it'll take around 2 years to get to that stage.

« Reply #2 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 08:30:20 PM »
It's possible, though not probable, in my opinion.

We're looking at having an almost totally new team next year, we're bound to encounter some teething problems. Spurs are vastly more settled throughout their squad and Arsenal, while after losing Henry, are still very strong.

Outside possibility I suppose, but I'll be surprised if we can dislodge both of those two.

Top 6 is more realistic.

Kev

« Reply #3 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 08:32:39 PM »
why should we finish above arsenal?
yes it would be great but Big Sam is only just starting to build his squad and will take at least 1 or 2 seasons
i think that question might not be able to be answered until a couple of seasons time

thewellander

• Canadian Toon Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 08:35:29 PM »
We'll get there, but let's not get too excited about the prospects for this year. Also, Deco has not signed. Until he does, I'm not factoring him in. As was said before, a top six finish is a reasonable expectation by looking what's on the table. But it's still so early.

« Reply #5 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 08:42:08 PM »
Arsenal did quite well without Henry for most of last season (and RVP). Also depends on how well their new lad settles in.

I don't think they are on the slide that much. They are definitely out of challenging at the moment but they arent going to drop as quickly as some are expecting.

LFEE

« Reply #6 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 08:42:49 PM »

Why not?

Simple... "If" is the biggest word in football

« Reply #7 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 08:46:48 PM »
im not convinced.

Arsenal have taken a step back to go forward. Their current squad is full of potential that could break through at any moment. As we saw at parts last season, the team was unstoppable at times, this was without Henry near the team.

All the players from last season matured and will be looking to step it up further this year. The hopes we have for Taylor and the Zog, they have in a teams worth of youngsters. With the right direction they will be a match for anyone.

Da Silva is an unknown quantity, but expect Arsene to splash out on quality before the start of the season to sit alongside the blossoming talent they already have.

The defence is solid, the fluidity, skills and passing are sublime and they are only going to get better.

Fabregas isnt going anywhere this summer, the press have been talking up an arsenal implosion for the past three years, but they will come out fighting next season with a point to prove.

Whilst next season we can start the war to bridge the gap, Arsenal will win the battle. The difference between us and Arsenal is that we will try and buy world class players to bridge the gap, they are home growing them, its just a matter of time before they hit that level.
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #8 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:04:09 PM »

Why not?

why not?

because for one, we're talking about Wenger, who everyone is always at pains to cream over

Henry was hardly in the team last year and they still grabbed 4th

You're talking about a defence that has never even played yet, the height of wishfull thinking

22bnw

« Reply #9 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:07:57 PM »
Spurs are slightly ahead of us in their long-term building and if Arsenal don't improve much, I can see them finishing above Arsenal. Not us, yet.

Our squad is a long way off that standard, our foundations are barely there yet.

Dan

« Reply #10 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:08:07 PM »
i wouldn't be surpised if wenger surprised a few people and they challenge for a bit this season. he usually gets it right when it comes to judging the right time to let a player leave. also wouldn't surprise me if henry's best years turn out to be the ones spent at arsenal.

22bnw

« Reply #11 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:10:12 PM »
Van Persie has been in Henry's shadow, I think he'll come out now, people say the lad is overrated but I think he is capable of anything Henry is/was

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:11:23 PM »

Why not?

why not?

because for one, we're talking about Wenger, who everyone is always at pains to cream over

Henry was hardly in the team last year and they still grabbed 4th

You're talking about a defence that has never even played yet, the height of wishfull thinking

:nods:

Mr. Snrub

• Messi
« Reply #13 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:12:45 PM »
I've never heard anyone say RVP is over-rated.  It's pretty obvious he is a brilliant player.

No chance of us finishing above Arsenal next season.

« Reply #14 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:13:43 PM »
I've never heard anyone say RVP is over-rated.  It's pretty obvious he is a brilliant player.

Didn't know he was gay either!

22bnw

« Reply #15 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:14:56 PM »

I was speaking to some Arsenal fans last season, they thought he was massively overrated

Unbelievable!

• Adopted Geordie
« Reply #16 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:18:19 PM »
Van Persie has been in Henry's shadow, I think he'll come out now, people say the lad is overrated but I think he is capable of anything Henry is/was

I agree. Have been a huge fan of Van Persie since before he broke on the scene of Feyenoord's (my club in Holland) reserve team and he is getting better and better each season. There´s a good chance he will score over 20 goals for them this season if he can stay fit and their frontmen partnerships works well from the start.. To think he was sold to Arsenal for about 3 million just three seasons ago...

Guinness

« Reply #17 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:19:10 PM »
Don't see it myself. I think Arsenal will suprise a lot of people next season, presuming they keep hold of the likes of Fabregas they'll finish at least 4th IMO. Their squad is still young and last season they showed signs of real potential, some of their build up play was pure class and if Eduardo is the poacher everyone says he is then he could be just what they need. Our eventual aim has to be to break into the top four, but I think it will take a few seasons before we'll be able to get to that level.

The top 6 on the other hand is a different matter. From the top four down the league is wide open and with some more additions to the defence and the possible addition of Deco (although I still don't see that happening) thats what we should be aiming for next season.

22bnw

« Reply #18 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:23:15 PM »
We want to be getting into Europe next season.

If we were to look to a top four team to try and finish above, it should be Liverpool. We could build a squad better than theirs in time and their youth players aren't quite at the standard of Arsenal's. But not yet.

ryunufc

« Reply #19 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:34:30 PM »
yes they finished 4th without henry for large part of the season, but this time can be different because he moved to barca. losing an influential player through injury can be different with losing him permanently. henry is more than an arsenal captain, he is like a mascot, it is still a blow. take for instance, man u to lose cantona or us to lose shearer. they will need a transition period to cope with life without him. beside, the other 18 teams now know how to deal with their style, not necessary stop them but make their life difficult with the 'physical approach'.
i think we have a good chance to finish above them, not because we are now much better but i think they are quite vulnerable to have a terrible season. this does not mean we can finish 4th, there are spurs and everton, which leaves us with top 6 still being a realistic, i if not ambitious target.

The Bonk

• ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #20 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:52:52 PM »
I love the optimism of this thread, but I just don't see it as a reality.  Not yet, as I think it will take time for our squad to buy into Big Sam's
coaching and like previously mentioned, the squad will take time to settle. 

We should be aiming as high as possible, but what's first and foremost is to build the club's depth up like Liverpool have done while we were
on our slide.  Build the brand of NUFC so we can look as an attractive club as the big 4 to play for, it's the only way we'll be able to compete
with the big boys for years to come. 

I know we've long run out of patience to win something, but we can't slip further behind or we'll never catch up. 

« Reply #21 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 09:56:14 PM »
I don't think Arsenal are in any crisis and my head tells me they'll finish top 4. They just finished level on points with Liverpool despite spending most of the season without Henry and Van Persie. Henry has been replaced and Van Persie is back and fresh. Their youth is that bid older and more experienced now, and I expect one or two to step up the way Eboue, Toure etc did before them. Diaby, Adebayor and Walcott should all improve and Van Persie was on fire before he got injured last season.

However, Gallas's quotes do suggest all is not rosy there and we've seen ourselves how a few bad eggs or poor morale in general in the dressing room can really disrupt a team's unity on the field. Heads go down a lot quicker and a glass half full becomes a glass half empty. They need a good start to the season to avoid that, they really do.

We only play the 'big four' a total of 8 times in the league. The rest of the season consists of 30 games. People often look at it negatively, assuming we have to be a better team than Arsenal to finish above them. In fact, we just need to be more consistent, picking up as many points as possible in those 30 games and trying to get whatever we can against those teams bigger than us. When Everton finished 4th and Liverpool 5th, Liverpool were clearly the better side, but failed to produce the points quite as consistently. When we finished 3rd under Bobby Robson 4 years ago, we were considered outside title contenders by the media until the last few weeks of the season. Clearly Man Utd and Arsenal were much better teams than us, but we just kept picking up the 'easier' points and focused only on ourselves. It's not about comparing us with Arsenal, it's about picking up more points than them against teams like Reading, Wigan, Derby, Boro, Villa etc, etc, etc.

A couple of good defenders and a real injection of quality like Deco, coupled with a bigger squad and a better manager, and maybe we'll be picking up the 'easier' points more consistently. As for Spurs, I don't think we're behind them at all, for a large part of last season they were distinctly average before making a charge, just as we did the season before finishing 7th. Also both Spurs and Arsenal have Europe to worry about, we don't, and that could make a significant difference when the fixtures are coming thick and fast and they're flying to Tblisi or wherever while we enjoy a midweek break.

I'm more worried about us, if we sort ourselves out we can pick up points regularly and let Spurs, Arsenal etc worry about themselves.

hagler

« Reply #22 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 10:20:44 PM »

The situation as I see is that Manu and Chelsea are miles ahead and Liverpool will  start to catch up this year,

i dont see liverpool catching up this year......i think they will have a real bad season.....we could catch them if the signings start coming as good as they have been...ive got the feeling were building a big squad with many options in many formations...........and no europe...which liverpool seem to go all out for theses days...if i were them i would get a pl champions trophy pretty quick them not having one in the last 16/17 years or whatever it is is not good for them...just my opinion

22bnw

« Reply #23 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 10:29:42 PM »
Agreed

« Reply #24 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 10:47:24 PM »
I think with every remaining player we sign now, our views and expectations will change.

This is why I'm loving this summers transfer window because with the whole the transfer fund uncertainty; we're being linked with the likes of Deco one week and an unknown player the next. I think most of us have been kept on our toes about whats happening next these past couple of months and so I'm going to remain tight lipped on my expectations until the day the window shuts.

I'm guessing theres quite a few twists and turns ahead and if we strengthen much further than I really believe we can make it into the top 6. Heres hoping eh blueyes.gif