Author Topic: Roughest five bars you've been in on Tyneside  (Read 71100 times)

Re: Roughest five bars you've been in on Tyneside
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:00:31 PM »
Anyone been to the Lambton Arms (Smugglers) in South Shields? Its a f***ing shithole  :lol: They open especially early every morning for all the alcoholics. I've been in a couple of times at about half 9 in the morning with my dad for a pint on a weekend (he drinks round all of them sort of pubs) and all the way round the room its just full of men aged between 50-70 who you can tell have nothing to live for and they're all stoned. Same people always in there. They know if you're not a regular as well cos they don't half stare.

Alan Shearer:

404 games for Newcastle - 206 goals
63 Caps for England - 30 goals
733 career games - 379 goals
Newcastle's all time leading goalscorer
Ended his career by scoring against the scum in a 4-1 win
Turned Man United down, but lived the dream Alan Shearer=TRUE LEGEND

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:03:55 PM »
Teh Rocket  = right next to where my doctors is.

Or it was before they turned it into houses... never went in like but was always suspicious as to why it was so close to the General Surgery.

The Rocket, yeah that place has been ripped up and been replaced by housing.  My doctors was also next door. Dr. Morrison or Silva I recall when I was a young nippa. 

Dr.Morrison is my doctor. WOW.

I've not been in 1 of these pubs so far

Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

Knightrider

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:10:49 PM »
In no particular order:

Bobby Shafto - home of all the toerags in Scotswood. It used to have a wall outside leading up to the entrance where on any given night about 50 "Bobby Lads" would stand, fighting with one another and anyone that walked by/came in. They stood there watching stolen cars being flung about Armstrong Road and seeing who they could mug/jump on. Got closed by the polis so many times it was untrue.

Sporting Arms - otherwise known as the Shooting Arms.

Green Tree - Remember it being very rough, owned by local gangsters IIRC.

Chieftain - a kid who I went to school with stabbed someone in there a few years back and is doing life now I think. Full of all the toerags from Elswick.

Gold Cup - The place to go for drugs if on that stretch of road, many fights, but don't think it was as rough as others i.e. stabbings, shootings etc.

Other notable mentions - The Benwell, the Howlett, Portland, Chest.

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:16:18 PM »
In no particular order:

Bobby Shafto - home of all the toerags in Scotswood. It used to have a wall outside leading up to the entrance where on any given night about 50 "Bobby Lads" would stand, fighting with one another and anyone that walked by/came in. They stood there watching stolen cars being flung about Armstrong Road and seeing who they could mug/jump on. Got closed by the polis so many times it was untrue.

Sporting Arms - otherwise known as the Shooting Arms.

Green Tree - Remember it being very rough, owned by local gangsters IIRC.

Chieftain - a kid who I went to school with stabbed someone in there a few years back and is doing life now I think. Full of all the toerags from Elswick.

Gold Cup - The place to go for drugs if on that stretch of road, many fights, but don't think it was as rough as others i.e. stabbings, shootings etc.

Other notable mentions - The Benwell, the Howlett, Portland, Chest.
I thought The Rock was the best place to go to for drugs ariound there.

You ever get in The Chesterfield HTT?
f*** off Kingdawson you c***

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
been in the newburn hotel before, didn't seem too bad

heard vague tales about the bangla

do most of my drinking in clubs, not much point risking being in pubs that aren't your proper locals. Loads of people I know tend to follow the same landlord, as he's a sound guy who doesn't take any s***, and if he's involved in anything bent, it doesn't impact the regulars much

anyone know the crows nest? on the elswick road? no idea when it closed, but I've heard stuff about it, and it looks dodgy as f***

guy got shot in a boozer up the road here, mob family thing, walked right into the pub and shot him in the back, cowardly c***.

Knightrider

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:25:43 PM »
Most are gone now, but....
Bobby Shafto
Sporting Arms
Ord Arms
Windmill
Windyke
Gold Cup
The boat House
Bangla

Did yee get in the Boathoose doon Newburn Skirge?

I heard stories aboot barmaids and gangbangs on the pool table in there.

That was a film man :D

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:28:55 PM »

do most of my drinking in clubs, not much point risking being in pubs that aren't your proper locals. Loads of people I know tend to follow the same landlord, as he's a sound guy who doesn't take any s***, and if he's involved in anything bent, it doesn't impact the regulars much

anyone know the crows nest? on the elswick road? no idea when it closed, but I've heard stuff about it, and it looks dodgy as f***

guy got shot in a boozer up the road here, mob family thing, walked right into the pub and shot him in the back, cowardly c***.
JACKANORY. 

The only pub yee naa that we can relate to is the Volley, where Begbie robbed that yank bloke in the bogs.

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:31:10 PM »
shut it

btw, how much of a c*** do you have to look to get mistaken for the polis?

« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:36:08 PM »
The Balmoral - shut doon now

My uncle used to own that place.  Never went in it like.
failure is like a disease to Kevin Keegan, one without a cure.

HTT on Kevin Keegan.  The glory days are back on N-O.  This is the sort of quality I look for in a forum.

Badly cluttered forums are a disease, HTT's the cure is what I say tbh.

Knightrider

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:37:55 PM »
What was that bar across the road from the Green Tree originaly called BTW, it has escaped my mind? It was called the Corner House or something until it got pulled down recently, that had a naughty old rep as well. When new owners took it over and turned it into the corner house I went in for a pint one day (about 4-5 years back now) and bits of bairns were being served drink, no surprise it got closed down, its being turned into flats or something now, the land.

The old Hydraulic on Scotswood road was forever in the papers too, I bet when that whole stretch was lined with bars, they were all rough as f***.

Has anyone on here ever drank in the old Robin Adair? Before my time but I remember as a bairn climbing on its roof after it got burned down, and a mate falling through the floor breaking his leg, daft sod. :lol:

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:43:59 PM »
The Broken doll was a students bar to be honest, Dab lager mmmm.

I would have put the North Star in as well as the Sun.

Puffing Billy and west house.

The Jolly Bowman was / is not as bad as the Emporer Hadrian.
You are 100% spot on there.  It is the Hadrian and not the Jolly Bowman that was mental.  I used to spend me days in Ladbrokes that was within the shop precinct though doubt it's there now.  I recall that there was a chippy run by Asians also?
Invicta_Toon 21st June 2007:
"you're a f****** c*** tbh AS9
and I say that in the knowledge that certain admins want me gone, in the face of their rank f****** hypocrisy in the face of pieces of s*** like yourself, blatant WUM's like NE5, blatant w*****s like Jay Jay Sea, and all other 12 year old cocks"
100% Pure Quality.

Fugazi

• Give us hell, Quimby!
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:48:42 PM »
The Broken doll was a students bar to be honest, Dab lager mmmm.

I would have put the North Star in as well as the Sun.

Puffing Billy and west house.

The Jolly Bowman was / is not as bad as the Emporer Hadrian.
You are 100% spot on there.  It is the Hadrian and not the Jolly Bowman that was mental.  I used to spend me days in Ladbrokes that was within the shop precinct though doubt it's there now.  I recall that there was a chippy run by Asians also?

Ladbrokes is still there, the chippy is closed now.

The precinct is being knocked down in the next few years, as part of the redevelopment, new one being built over the other side of the road.
NE28

TheOrder

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:52:25 PM »
The Brig

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:52:54 PM »
What was that bar across the road from the Green Tree originaly called BTW, it has escaped my mind? It was called the Corner House or something until it got pulled down recently, that had a naughty old rep as well. When new owners took it over and turned it into the corner house I went in for a pint one day (about 4-5 years back now) and bits of bairns were being served drink, no surprise it got closed down, its being turned into flats or something now, the land.

The old Hydraulic on Scotswood road was forever in the papers too, I bet when that whole stretch was lined with bars, they were all rough as f***.

Has anyone on here ever drank in the old Robin Adair? Before my time but I remember as a bairn climbing on its roof after it got burned down, and a mate falling through the floor breaking his leg, daft sod. :lol:
The Robin Adair was it right by Scochee bridge?  I think it shut doon when I was about 10 or 11.  Can always remember RATTY scrawled on it in white paint, there was a kid at our school called Ratty supposedly the hardest c*** in his year, always presumed it was him.

The Hydraulic was owned by the Sayers' wasn't it, or some hard family, wasn't bad inside to be honest.

OpenC

• NN989989
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:53:47 PM »

I remember being far more worried in The Balloon down the road than I ever was in The Rokeby (assuming the Rokeby is the one round Blakelaw way).  Must be ten years since I was in, mind, so I'm not entirely sure.

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:56:16 PM »

I remember being far more worried in The Balloon down the road than I ever was in The Rokeby (assuming the Rokeby is the one round Blakelaw way).  Must be ten years since I was in, mind, so I'm not entirely sure.
The Balloon's always been fine when I've been in.

Skirge mentioned the Whin Dyke before, I forgot all about that place, went in a few times, and honestly they'd do domino cards for tac*

* not making that up

Knightrider

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:59:03 PM »

The Robin Adair was it right by Scochee bridge?  I think it shut doon when I was about 10 or 11.  Can always remember RATTY scrawled on it in white paint, there was a kid at our school called Ratty supposedly the hardest c*** in his year, always presumed it was him.

The Hydraulic was owned by the Sayers' wasn't it, or some hard family, wasn't bad inside to be honest.

Conroy I think. Aye the RA was doon by the Bridge, a Nissan Salesroom is there now, remember it being a big massive grey building and from where I used to live in St. Margrets Road just above the railies, you could here the drunks. Those steps, with the old cobbled road leading to the subway near the Bridge, they reckon lots of people on the way home p*ssed from the RA were turned over down there, very spooky on the neet time.

« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:59:34 PM »

JACKANORY. 

The only pub yee naa that we can relate to is the Volley, where Begbie robbed that yank bloke in the bogs.

so, where in newcastle
might a yank tourist go to experience some local color without getting robbed or done?
altogether elsewhere vast
herds of reindeer move across
miles and miles of golden moss
silently and very fast

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:59:35 PM »
I'm not taking the p*ss here right, but why do you go in these sorts of bars?  If I see a pub that looks even vaguely rough, I just make a point of never EVER going in it EVER.  There's plenty reasonable enough places to drink without having to do it in a place where you're in constant danger of having your face kicked off.
failure is like a disease to Kevin Keegan, one without a cure.

HTT on Kevin Keegan.  The glory days are back on N-O.  This is the sort of quality I look for in a forum.

Badly cluttered forums are a disease, HTT's the cure is what I say tbh.

TheOrder

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 03:00:25 PM »

JACKANORY. 

so, where in newcastle
might a yank tourist go to experience some local color without getting robbed or done?

It was a reference to Trainspotting lad!

TheOrder

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 03:01:41 PM »
The Seine Boat in Meadowell.

The Brig- Up by New York.

The Phoenix in New York was rough as a badgers arse like, annal.

The Cannon's not rough, just a coke den.

Knightrider

« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 03:01:52 PM »
I'm not taking the p*ss here right, but why do you go in these sorts of bars?  If I see a pub that looks even vaguely rough, I just make a point of never EVER going in it EVER.  There's plenty reasonable enough places to drink without having to do it in a place where you're in constant danger of having your face kicked off.

I think with half of these bars it is a case of trying out, seeing how rough they are when there, and never going again.

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 03:03:58 PM »

JACKANORY. 

so, where in newcastle
Anywhere really to be honest, we're not all savages.  I was referring to Edinburgh when I was addressing Vic.

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 03:04:57 PM »

JACKANORY. 

so, where in newcastle

It was a reference to Trainspotting lad!

oh yeahhhh   :blush:   i wondered why i felt like i knew who begbie was!    gosh, there's certainly a lot of egg on my face now.   :-[
altogether elsewhere vast
herds of reindeer move across
miles and miles of golden moss
silently and very fast

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 03:05:09 PM »
Life experience, and young and daft.  People like Skirge, me and HTT are better for the experience, was funny most of the time.