Author Topic: Roughest five bars you've been in on Tyneside  (Read 71146 times)

Stevie

• aboot your level
Roughest five bars you've been in on Tyneside
« on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:27:01 PM »
The Runnymede - Westerhope

I was too young too appreciate the Runnymede in Westerhope fully but the only time I was in, as a 15 year old, someone got stabbed to death.

The Chieftain - Cruddas Park

I used to work near this pub in my teens, and used to go in for a game of pool now and then, and similarly nearly every time we went in we heard stories of weekend stabbings.  Full of old men slavverin on "How pal ah need fokkin 50 pence for a borrel o broon like ye nah, ahm waitin o the giro n me horse lerruz doon, howay man ya me best pal."

The Sporting Arms - Scochee

I can't even remember why me and me mate went in, I think we were going to Newburn via the Denton, so we walked down that road.  Got in the pub, Union Jacks and UVF flags everywhere, and bizarrely cockney accents as well as deep scochee accents, after five minutes the clientelle got it in their heads we were police, so we fuckin legged it.  Some big nasties in there mind.

The Newburn Hotel - Newburn

No word of a lie, every day till it closed down not so long ago, at 1030am there'd be a queue of 10-15 people aged 40-60 outside waiting to get in.  The desperation of the place was everywhere, full of hardcore alcheez.

The Trafalgar - Gateshead

I've never seen as many ugly people in one place, I didn't feel threatened but there was a lot of big nasties, and even the barmaids looked like men.
f*** off Kingdawson you c***

Re: Roughest five bars you've been in on Tyneside
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:29:36 PM »
Anywhere in the Pink Triangle.  I couldn't sit down for a fortnight.
failure is like a disease to Kevin Keegan, one without a cure.

HTT on Kevin Keegan.  The glory days are back on N-O.  This is the sort of quality I look for in a forum.

Badly cluttered forums are a disease, HTT's the cure is what I say tbh.

Happy Face

• The forum equivalent of Arnie in T2
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:30:41 PM »
The Red Hackle has holes in all the doors for people to point sawn offs through.

bobbyshinton

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:33:39 PM »
The Rokeby
The queens head          Wallsend
The Winc                       Walker
The Rocket                     Longbenton
The Jungle                    North Shields

Mind most of these were in times gone by.  The runnymede I think one of my mates family got shot in there by the law.

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:37:02 PM »
The Rokeby

Mind most of these were in times gone by.  The runnymede I think one of my mates family got shot in there by the law.
The Rokeby would've been number 6 on my list.  Number 7 would've been The Hillheads which used to be ran by the head of the gremlins.

bobbyshinton

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:38:19 PM »
Did he?

Is that the one called the forge now or amI on about some one else?

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:40:15 PM »
Did he?

Is that the one called the forge now or amI on about some one else?
Nah that's the Coopers Forge your thinking of in Blakelaw, right beside the road to the airport, not sure if it's still a pub, someone might be able to correct me.  A load of these pubs are in NE5 and HTL's immediate area :D

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:40:21 PM »
Teh Rocket  = right next to where my doctors is.

Or it was before they turned it into houses... never went in like but was always suspicious as to why it was so close to the General Surgery.

Newcastle Online Safe For Work CSS
Last Updated Apr 29, 2016

andynufc84

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:42:09 PM »
The queens heed, Wallsend

The old Jimmys as well on the high street in wallsend, its called last orders now

These sort of bars and the bars Stevie mentioned have some general hard nuts in, but I would say the most recent bars i've been in that I have felt for my safety are in the Bigg Market in toon.

Different kettle of fish to the proper blokes bars, full of little charvas so off their faces on drink, drugs and whatever else you so much as look at someone in the wrong way you'll probably get set about on.

Fugazi

• Give us hell, Quimby!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:43:06 PM »
The Rokeby

My mate lives near The Queen's Head, pretty much gaurenteed there'll be a police presence there on Friday/Saturday nights.

Has anyone seen The Club, near the Queen's Head? funny as owt how they've put a "Trendy" bar in the middle of Wallsend High Street, still the same dross that getsin there though.
NE28

andynufc84

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:46:47 PM »
The Rokeby
The Winc                       Walker
The Rocket                     Longbenton

My mate lives near The Queen's Head, pretty much gaurenteed there'll be a police presence there on Friday/Saturday nights.

Has anyone seen The Club, near the Queen's Head? funny as owt how they've put a "Trendy" bar in the middle of Wallsend High Street, still the same dross that getsin there though.

Aye mate, Wallsend High street trying to be trendy - dosen't quite work  :lol:

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:48:37 PM »
The Rokeby

Was The Queen's Head the bar Viv Graham was shot outside of?

andynufc84

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:49:43 PM »
The Rokeby

Aye it was mate.

Just thought of another one - The Star on Westgate road, naughty

bobbyshinton

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:51:18 PM »
The Rokeby

I got questioned over that as I was in the Queens earlier.

bobbyshinton

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:52:22 PM »
The Winc on my list was one of Viv's (well his wifes I think)

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:52:48 PM »
The Rokeby

Aye it was mate.

Just thought of another one - The Star on Westgate road, naughty
The Star's not rough, fuckin hell, youngns today are spoilt!

bobbyshinton

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:54:15 PM »
The Chieftan

The Westmorland

bobbyshinton

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:54:31 PM »
The Grainger

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:55:16 PM »
Four bars I've never been in but heard hideous stories about:

The Balmoral - shut doon now
The Broken Doll - knocked doon
The Cent - Throckley
The Chesterfield in the West End - apparently naughty, big nasties and ugly barmaids.

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:55:46 PM »

Or it was before they turned it into houses... never went in like but was always suspicious as to why it was so close to the General Surgery.

The Rocket, yeah that place has been ripped up and been replaced by housing.  My doctors was also next door. Dr. Morrison or Silva I recall when I was a young nippa. 
Can't leave out the North Star in Longbenton (which I suppose has been replaced by the Charnwood (or Charvawood)). Fight in the Charnwood almost every weekend these days.
Jolly Bowman (Battlehill) back in me colledge drop out days always had me shaking a bit.
The Bluebell (no longer exists) on Shields Road.
The Gunner in North Shields - when I was a young' un aged about 21 and living a few doors from the Gunner I always dreaded going in (before it became a John Barras pub like) coz it was a shabby old sh*thole and made me nervous.
Invicta_Toon 21st June 2007:
"you're a f****** c*** tbh AS9
and I say that in the knowledge that certain admins want me gone, in the face of their rank f****** hypocrisy in the face of pieces of s*** like yourself, blatant WUM's like NE5, blatant w*****s like Jay Jay Sea, and all other 12 year old cocks"
100% Pure Quality.

Skirge

• They Will Never Take My Cabaye
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:57:48 PM »
Most are gone now, but....
Bobby Shafto
Sporting Arms
Ord Arms
Windmill
Windyke
Gold Cup
The boat House
Bangla

Fugazi

• Give us hell, Quimby!
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:58:54 PM »

The Rocket, yeah that place has been ripped up and been replaced by housing.  My doctors was also next door. Dr. Morrison or Silva I recall when I was a young nippa. 
Can't leave out the North Star in Longbenton (which I suppose has been replaced by the Charnwood (or Charvawood)). Fight in the Charnwood almost every weekend these days.
Jolly Bowman (Battlehill) back in me colledge drop out days always had me shaking a bit.
The Gunner in North Shields - when I was a young' un aged about 21 and living a few doors from the Gunner I always dreaded going in (before it became a John Barras pub like) coz it was a shabby old sh*thole and made me nervous.

The Bowman's not too bad, haven't been in a while though, you do get some radgies in but on the whole it's alright.

What was that one next to the shops in Battle Hill called, that's boarded up now? Always looked like a shithole.
NE28

Stevie

• aboot your level
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 01:59:52 PM »
Most are gone now, but....
Bobby Shafto
Sporting Arms
Ord Arms
Windmill
Windyke
Gold Cup
The boat House
Bangla

Did yee get in the Boathoose doon Newburn Skirge?

The Bangla :D I heard stories aboot barmaids and gangbangs on the pool table in there.  What was the other one called?  Scotties was it, I mind someone lost their nose over a game of pool in there?

andynufc84

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:00:11 PM »

The Bowman's not too bad, haven't been in a while though, you do get some radgies in but on the whole it's alright.

What was that one next to the shops in Battle Hill called, that's boarded up now? Always looked like a shithole.

Emporer Hadrian

Yes that place was rough as they came

bobbyshinton

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 April 2007, 02:00:13 PM »
The Broken doll was a students bar to be honest, Dab lager mmmm.

I would have put the North Star in as well as the Sun.

Puffing Billy and west house.

The Jolly Bowman was / is not as bad as the Emporer Hadrian.