Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 407896 times)

OpenC

• NN953999
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #9275 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
Nice Ian :thup: it has that sightly overexposed look that says to me that it wasn't quite dark enough [emoji38] definitely the right feel though, and it's a great shot :thup: that's exactly how I do it, and it's free that way.

I used to think the same way as that pbx, purity of the in-camera shot and that, but these days I'm happy to do it however I can [emoji38]

Back in the day I set up a camera with an ND filter on a 10mm lens the Gallowgate steps looking towards the Strawberry and got the flowing water effect with black clouds of people. It was a f***ing great shot, if I say so myself, but I can't find it any more, much like all my old SLR shots :( might try to recreate it with an evening game :)

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #9276 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 08:40:43 PM »
And aye, I created that Gallowgate shot with the Photoshop average effect :thup:

ian

« Reply #9277 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 08:43:40 PM »
I'm proud to say ...the second I posted that you would pick up on the exp. Really didn't have time to correct it...ooopps  shouted down for supper...thanks lads.

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #9278 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
You're doing great Ian, keep at it man :thup: :thup:

Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
« Reply #9279 on: Thursday 9 February 2017, 09:44:58 PM »
Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous like.  Cuts down on the vignetting though, I guess?

Aye from what I recall you can get shots as wide as 17mm on full frame without vignetting. I do very much like the idea of achieving things in-camera instead of in post, it just feels more...pure that way.

Ansel Adams, one of the all time greats, was not above processing his pictures and I'd bet you a pound to a penny if he had computers he would have dodged and burned with the best of them. One of the attractions of photography is seeing things in a way that no one else has seen it and if that means working on an image ooc then so be it. Its really no difference than using filters on camera, or Grads or Polarisers. In this technological age you use whatever it takes and you dont need to worry about purity.  Some of the software now (and I'm talking specifically about RAW but jpegs work fine too) will do things Adams could only dream about. There is always a place for getting up at daft oclock (we've all done it for the `Golden hour') and sooc results can be stunning. But by all means, if the fancy takes you, process the picture-moderately I would suggest- to get it just as you visualised it.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

« Reply #9280 on: Friday 10 February 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
South Cheshire: some decent shots there, but you have to work at keeping the 'rubbish' out, it very rarely happens as a happy accident :)

Even just cropping the image is sometimes enough, unless you feel that cropping also counts as diabolical post-production meddling and that all images should match your camera's sensor size ;) the San Francisco one, for example, would be improved I feel by clipping the image to remove the half-bike on the left and (presumably) dude's hair at the bottom.  FWIW I think your Media City one would have worked better if you'd captured the top of the building and had to sacrifice some of the reflection. You also have the horizon on the halfway line which always makes for a slightly uncomfortable image. You could maybe have reduced the road impact in the deer shot by walking to your left and making it a parallel horizontal line with the grass rather than the diagonal cutting over the frame that you have?

Just my £0.02, of course :) like I said before, photography is a broad church and that's a good thing :) would be a dull old game if we all did things exactly the same way, it's good that everyone has their own style.

No, as you say, a bit of trimming would be of use of a few of them, and yes, from time to time I do, (my twitter acc. has the deer one in, trimmed i think).
These were just thrown up on the rush so to say, but imgur does give me the option to shape so, i may attempt to amend those, and others if and when i get around to finding some worth posting here (the standard has been set high).
The last man in the world, sat, alone, in a windowless room.
Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

« Reply #9281 on: Tuesday 14 February 2017, 05:12:14 PM »
Any recommendations on some good books for newbies? There's loads out there but any tried and tested ones would be good.

Haz

« Reply #9282 on: Tuesday 14 February 2017, 06:30:50 PM »
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Easy to read and is a genuine classic.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

« Reply #9283 on: Tuesday 14 February 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
Any recommendations on some good books for newbies? There's loads out there but any tried and tested ones would be good.

It depends what you want to learn or do.

A great starting place is The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby. He has the skill for simplifying absolutely everything down to make it easy to understand for everyone. He covers a lot of material but perhaps the most valuable thing he does is that he shows an image then explains the settings & processes used to create that shot. It's a great way to understand how to set up the camera for different situations or types of photography. I think the book had several sequels too all of which are worth getting if you are just starting out.

« Reply #9284 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 02:32:10 PM »
Well I went and ordered a bunch of filter related items for the Lee system including the big and little stoppers, polariser and just the one 2 stop nd grad for the time being.

It was quite expensive but what the hell, if you're going to get into photography you may as well commit to it  :lol:

« Reply #9285 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
I have the Lee system with the big stopper myself. Landscape really isn't my thing and I've not used it in about 18 months but it's a good bit of kit that opens a lot of doors creatively. The fact I live by the coast really should see me take more advantage of it.

ian

« Reply #9286 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
I'm going to Manchester next week. Any tips for night shooting locations on the river...best places to position myself. Media city area looks OK

« Reply #9287 on: Thursday 16 February 2017, 09:31:14 PM »
Cheers for the recommendations!

I fancy architecture esq stuff but just anything to nail down the basics first.

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #9288 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 06:14:43 AM »
Just been thinking of putting some of my best photo's up from my trip so far. In the end I went for a Fujix100, and have been absolutely chuffed with it. An absolutely delightful camera, and a snip at £300.

OpenC was correct, I would have loved a wider angle lens for many of the shots (sometimes my iphone took better photos!) but you have to learn how to position yourself, and sometimes you just have to accept you can't capture the beauty you see before you. Accepting the limitations of my equipment was useful, though, as it helps you know what you can and can't do. I was ultimately really glad that the camera looked 'classic' and old, as it wasn't conspicuous when taking photos in Tanzania and when carrying it around in less developed areas. Hopefully my photography has gotten better over the last 6 months, from never having owned a camera (even a point and shoot), to now.

The first few are from Tanzania (September - November):

Beach and Dhow, Zanzibar.

Food Market, Zanzibar.

Young Boy, Zanzibar.

"Will you take our photo please?" Lushoto, Tanzania.

Bananas! Moshi, Tz.

The Big Lad (kilimanjaro) Moshi, Tz.

Best Pizza in Tanzania. Tanga, Tz.

Night Skies. Zanzibar.

Lions. Ngorogoro Crater, Tz.

Chameleon (Ft. Me) Lushoto, Tz.

Doom. Ngorogoro Crater, Tz.

Anyway, go easy on me, this was the first month or so of owning the camera. I'll probably have to resize these. I need to learn one day I suppose.

A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #9289 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 06:38:33 AM »
Went to Japan after Tanzania. The ultimate culture shock, and a completely different photographic environment:

Matcha Green Tea and Red Bean Sweets. (later, I wished I had repositioned it to get just red tablecloth as the background. Gutted!)

Light.

Carp.

Saké.

SEEEEGAAAAAA, Tokyo.

Waitress, Tokyo.

Garden, Kanazawa.

Light Festival, Kyoto.

Lassies, Kyoto.

Reflections, Kyoto.

Arcades, Tokyo.

Koyo, Kanazawa.

Fushimi Inari Shrine, Kyoto.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #9290 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 06:57:13 AM »
I'd definitely improved immeasurably from Tanzania by now, although I feel like the landscapes on offer in New Zealand would have benefitted from an extensive equipment list, rather than 1 fixed focal length camera :lol: Still, it made it more challenging.

A few from New Zealand so far:

Whaririki Beach.

Stony Bay Beak, Akaroa.

Wildlife Photography...

Hooker Valley Trail, Mount Cook National Park.

Mount Cook National Park.

Tasman Glacier (Badman Glacier)

Fires along the coast on NYE, Ruby Bay.

Moss, Fiordland National Park.

Milford Sound, Fiordland. (couldn't capture anything of the ambience of the place, unfortunately)

Meadows, Fiordland.

Me!

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #9291 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 07:00:54 AM »
Some great stuff there :thup: always good to see people getting great results out of a 'little' camera, and speaking from experience, you definitely got the benefit of travelling light :) like I said, I personally would have gone with something like the Canon G series or Sony RX100 just to give you some options with your focal length but I think you've done a great job. When I used an SLR I used to sometimes force myself to go out with just one lens to see what I got :)

And aye, as you've discovered the biggest part of the skill of photography is picking a scene which is representative of where you are and which is also a great image. You can very rarely just cram everything in there; no matter what gear you have, it doesn't generally make for a very pleasing picture.
« Last Edit: Monday 20 February 2017, 08:14:48 AM by OpenC »

OpenC

• NN953999
« Reply #9292 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 07:05:55 AM »
Always mad to see a great shot like that Milford Sound one and read that it doesn't capture the ambience, but having filled this thread with images from the Scottish mountains I know exactly what you mean :thup:

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #9293 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 07:49:23 AM »
Thanks man!  I have to say I had a lot of different angles I was coming from when buying the camera, and in the end I went heart over head in the pick. I fell in love with the camera after seeing it, and then reviews backed it up to being a great camera. As I took more photos, I knew you had been right about the alternatives but you just have to get the camera that makes you most excited, don't you?

Yeah, I think I am slowly learning compositional techniques, but I've done very little reading on it, so it's mostly just Rule of Thirds and some other things I find attractive. Need to read more when I get back to the UK.

Always mad to see a great shot like that Milford Sound one and read that it doesn't capture the ambience, but having filled this thread with images from the Scottish mountains I know exactly what you mean :thup:

I mainly think of your images of Scotland when trying to shoot landscapes, I always think they're very moody, like Scotland, really, so I imagine you're getting the ambience right. New Zealand is incredibly Scotland-like, but obviously on a much grander scale, due the the geological processes going on here. The shot is decent, and I have loads more like it, but Milford Sound is like nothing else, incredibly dramatic. Makes you feel so small. My girlfriend took this:

Which also happened in Milford.

« Reply #9294 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 08:23:50 AM »
Class stuff that James. :)
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

« Reply #9295 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Great photos Jim  O0

I'd love to hear a bit more background on this one though  [emoji38]

Beren

• Administrator
  • Amazing shoes
« Reply #9296 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 10:00:21 AM »
Yup some fantastic shots. Done you a massive disservice by looking at them on my phone though, so look forward to poring through them properly later. In the interim, my main two takeaway points are:

1) You clearly have a good eye for photography and composition, especially
2) You're a b****** for travelling to so many nice places

:)

Haz

« Reply #9297 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 10:35:18 AM »
Absolutely delighted you chose X100. Those skin tones are marvellous. Which model x100 did you go for? I noted that as you gained experience with it you went from 'restrictive' to 'challenging'. Fuji simply make great lenses. These photos would not look out of place in National Geographic!

- William Ernest Henley

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #9298 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 10:40:41 AM »
Great photos Jim  O0

I'd love to hear a bit more background on this one though  [emoji38]

:lol: That was our waitress at a restaurant called Alcatraz ER, basically a theme restaurant based upon the prison hospital at Alcatraz :lol: don't ask me why. Most of the cocktails were fairly phallic or had tampons stuffed in them, and some of the meals were designed to look like vaginas. You get locked in a cell and have to bang on the bars to get service, which is great, especially when they tell you to f*** off. Basically paying to be treat like a prisoner.

Jimburst

• Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #9299 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 10:48:33 AM »
Absolutely delighted you chose X100. Those skin tones are marvellous. Which model x100 did you go for? I noted that as you gained experience with it you went from 'restrictive' to 'challenging'. Fuji simply make great lenses. These photos would not look out of place in National Geographic!

I'm so happy you suggested it, I absolutely love it, it is my pride and joy. These photos (and the hundreds of others I haven't uploaded) mean a lot to me, it's been a joy to learn with! Don't know what I'll get next though, probably a photoshop sub...

Thanks Beren! The praise is great, I'm happy everyone enjoys them! Still learning, would love a tripod and a remote shutter doodad so I could experiment with long exposures, and I lost my polarising lens within weeks of going on holiday, so I'd like another of those. s*** could get expensive.