Looks like we really have no money

stozo

Link

Glenn Roeder is trying to bring two new players into St James' Park - knowing that the clock is ticking away against him.

The Newcastle United boss has targeted two players he hopes to bring in on loan before the transfer window slams shut next Wednesday night.

I believe those players are both from abroad and that they are a striker and a defender, but I get the impression that Roeder is not as confident of adding to his squad today as he was yesterday.

And the United boss must know deep down that he is paying a hefty price for the sins of his predecessors as, for the second January transfer window in succession, it appears that Newcastle United will not be buying a player.

Roeder had drawn up a January shopping list which included Peter Crouch, Darren Bent, Ajax striker Ryan Babel and promising Championship youngsters Giles Barnes at Derby County, Southampton's Gareth Bale and West Brom's Curtis Davies.

But with no transfer kitty forthcoming, that list must have been crumpled up and thrown in the bin in his office.

Indeed, I hear from the south coast that Roeder has been in touch with Southampton about Bale, who he rates as the best young left-back in the game.

Contacts in Southampton tell me Roeder was prepared to buy Bale and then lend him back to Southampton for the rest of the season, but the United boss is not at the races.

Instead I expect Martin Jol to do exactly that - sign the young Welsh international and then loan him back to Southampton until the start of next season.

With the coffers empty at St James' Park, Roeder has had the difficult job of sorting out the wheat from the chaff in the loan market.

There was talk today that United are vying with Manchester City for Utrecht left-back Edson Braafheid, but this is not correct.

In fact, it was announced today that Braafheid has signed for FC Twente.

Roeder travelled to Holland just before Christmas to watch Braafheid in action but decided not to follow up his initial interest.

After Albert Luque's dream move to Villarreal has broken down there is talk that Racing Santander are now interested in taking the United striker back to Spain.

But they don't have the money to think about signing Luque - even on loan.

:'(

Looks like Souness blew all the money.

Shepherd is an absolute disgrace.

Roeder must have been completely misled as to who the club can afford if he had compiled a list of targets and then find out we can't even afford one of them.

Means he's spent the last few months looking at big money players, when he needed to instead be looking at cheap options.

Roeder was blatantly appointed so that Shepherd could have a man in place with whom he could totally control what went on in the transfer market.

I trust Alan Oliver, and while it may be hard to take, as a hard hitting journalist he is right to reveal that Glenn 'significant funds' Roeder is quite simply a sickening and outrageous liar.

I really don't believe that Roeder would be so stupid. That kind of comment would inevitably backfire if he knew it wasn't true.

This has Shepherd's fingerprints all over it. I don't expect the club to buy players, but I do expect honesty. don't think Shepherd has been honest to either fans or manager.

Guest Gemmill

Why would a chairman let a manager compile a list of players so massively out of step with what is actually available funding wise?

I think he just left Roeder in his office with a drawing pad and some crayons tbh.  When he came back he'd done a picture of a house and the list.

Why would a chairman let a manager compile a list of players so massively out of step with what is actually available funding wise?

Because this is Freddy Shepherd were taliing about.

Also looking at the list gives me great faith in Roeder as I rate every single one of those players.

Guest Gemmill

I trust Alan Oliver, and while it may be hard to take, as a hard hitting journalist he is right to reveal that Glenn 'significant funds' Roeder is quite simply a sickening and outrageous liar.

I really don't believe that Roeder would be so stupid. That kind of comment would inevitably backfire if he knew it wasn't true.

This has Shepherd's fingerprints all over it. I don't expect the club to buy players, but I do expect honesty. don't think Shepherd has been honest to either fans or manager.

Well I'll tell you what, IF Shepherd has lied to Roeder and told him there was plenty cash and has now pulled the rug out from under him, then the onus is on Roeder to either go public with it or walk out.  Sorry, but no manager is going to stand for that and nor should they.  So unless I see one of the above happening then I very much doubt that Shepherd lied to him.

Guest Gemmill

Also looking at the list gives me great faith in Roeder as I rate every single one of those players.

:lol:  You rate Roeder for coming up with a list of unattainable transfer targets?  Any clown on here can do that.  The key is to come up with a list of people you can afford ffs.

Think you've misread it tbh, seen as it's fairly widely known him and Roeder are good mates. Think he's having a pop at the board.

Guest Darth Toon

If it is true the coffers are empty, then I reckon our season is effectively over - barring a complete disintegration we shouldn't go down, but there's absolutely no chance of a top 6 finish with our current squad.

Don't think we'll even get the chance to defend out Intertoto crown, unless as winners we automatically qualify for it next season??? (phenomenal straw-clutching there mind!)

Well I'll tell you what, IF Shepherd has lied to Roeder and told him there was plenty cash and has now pulled the rug out from under him, then the onus is on Roeder to either go public with it or walk out.  Sorry, but no manager is going to stand for that and nor should they.  So unless I see one of the above happening then I very much doubt that Shepherd lied to him.

To be honest Roeder is not gonna walk out or speak out even if that has happened to him. He's 51, has a family to support, obviously has some affection and won't be wanting to lose probobly his last shot at managing a big club.

Walking out and speaking out are the same thing I'd imagine, either way you'll be leaving the club. Don't forget Roeder is on a rolling contract, all Fat fredd has to do is decide not to entend and Roeder will be gone.

:lol:  You rate Roeder for coming up with a list of unattainable transfer targets?  Any clown on here can do that.  The key is to come up with a list of people you can afford ffs.

They would have been attainable had he had the funds he was led to believe he had.

To be honest Roeder is not gonna walk out or speak out even if that has happened to him. He's 51, has a family to support, obviously has some affection and won't be wanting to lose probobly his last shot at managing a big club.

Walking out and speaking out are the same thing I'd imagine, either way you'll be leaving the club. Don't forget Roeder is on a rolling contract, all Fat fredd has to do is decide not to entend and Roeder will be gone.

My sympathies lie with him, but that is not the kind of man you want in charge if that is the case now is it.

I trust Alan Oliver

So when exactly is Brett Emerton signing?

:lol:

Have a bit of patience. Long gone are the days you could organise a transfer in 48 hours.

I've been patient for 25 and a half days mate!

Well I'll tell you what, IF Shepherd has lied to Roeder and told him there was plenty cash and has now pulled the rug out from under him, then the onus is on Roeder to either go public with it or walk out.  Sorry, but no manager is going to stand for that and nor should they.  So unless I see one of the above happening then I very much doubt that Shepherd lied to him.

Lose out on a large wage and probably one of the few chances of top flight management he will get. Not to mention that such a move would inevitably let down the fans and the players in the long run.

If I was in that situation, I would go public, and if Shepherd sacked me, I would then have a hefty pay cheque, and no-one would believe Shepherd again. However, I'm not sure roeder would do the same.

If it is true the coffers are empty, then I reckon our season is effectively over - barring a complete disintegration we shouldn't go down, but there's absolutely no chance of a top 6 finish with our current squad.

Don't think we'll even get the chance to defend out Intertoto crown, unless as winners we automatically qualify for it next season??? (phenomenal straw-clutching there mind!)

I think we can still get 7th, all the teams from 4th downwards are much of a muchness and if we can get some form then we can definetly make a push.

Well I'll tell you what, IF Shepherd has lied to Roeder and told him there was plenty cash and has now pulled the rug out from under him, then the onus is on Roeder to either go public with it or walk out.  Sorry, but no manager is going to stand for that and nor should they.  So unless I see one of the above happening then I very much doubt that Shepherd lied to him.

Lose out on a large wage and probably one of the few chances of top flight management he will get. Not to mention that such a move would inevitably let down the fans and the players in the long run.

If I was in that situation, I would go public, and if Shepherd sacked me, I would then have a hefty pay cheque, and no-one would believe Shepherd again. However, I'm not sure roeder would do the same.

As I say, it's rolling contract so there will be no hefty payout.

I trust Alan Oliver

So when exactly is Brett Emerton signing?

:lol:

Have a bit of patience. Long gone are the days you could organise a transfer in 48 hours.

I've been patient for 25 and a half days mate!

I've been patient for 25 and a half years... mumble... grumble...   ;)

As I say, it's rolling contract so there will be no hefty payout.

It is a 2 year contract actually.