Author Topic: :::::{The Boxing Thread}:::::  (Read 390536 times)

Stevie

• aboot your level
Re: Boxing on ITV4 - NOW!!
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 02:14:45 AM »
What a fight this is!!! :rockyII:
Best fight I've ever seen in my life, and the bravest fighter I've ever seen.  Hand on heart it was better than Drago v Balbao in Moscow, it was fuckin incredible.  You would need steamroller to put that little lad down, the sad thing is and he did take a beating and a half he would've won the fight if he'd continued imo, the Greek fucka was probably a better boxer, but to come back from 3 knock doons and then put him doon, different class, honest the best fight av ever seen in my life.
f*** off Kingdawson you c***

Li3nZ

« Reply #51 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
Cracking fight, pure boxing at it's best. It was a prime example of how boxing is intended to be done. Bouts between a pair of bombers or scrappers often turn into mass grapples of hanging on and rabbit punches. I could count on one hand the amount of times Micky Vann had to step in and split the boxers - it were toe to toe, at arms length, and just bombs to the head! It also helped they were both of exact same build and height too... What a fight.

It's the first time I have ever seen a ref actually throw the towel OUT of the ring after the corner have retired their man! Micky either had money riding on the fight or he's a better ref than even his high profile suggests, and to have dropped him immediately after your corner throws in your towel was a moment of genius. I don't think his knee touched down but there was no doubt it should have been counted as a standing 8 count.

« Reply #52 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 12:22:16 PM »
Greek? Katsidis? He's an Australian.

Value for money for those that paid to watching Khan win in 55 seconds and Harrison lose again.

Li3nZ

« Reply #53 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 12:32:44 PM »
Not sure who said he was Greek but I think he is of Greek blood but Aussie citizenship. I would guess so with a name like that aswell, and the fact he was draped in a greek flag.

« Reply #54 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 12:49:37 PM »
Not sure who said he was Greek but I think he is of Greek blood but Aussie citizenship. I would guess so with a name like that aswell, and the fact he was draped in a greek flag.

yeah he had both flags with him in the ring.

That fight was possibly the best ive ever seen Im so glad I didnt switch off after the Khan fight, it was sensational.

Loved the bit where Earl was aginst the ropes and took about 30 punches as fast as lightening from Katsidis and then came back and nearly knocked him out!

Plus that bit where his corner threw in the towel only for the ref to throw it out again and then 2 seconds later Earl almost has him on his arse!!

Mint!

« Reply #55 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 01:01:58 PM »
Cracking fight, pure boxing at it's best. It was a prime example of how boxing is intended to be done. Bouts between a pair of bombers or scrappers often turn into mass grapples of hanging on and rabbit punches. I could count on one hand the amount of times Micky Vann had to step in and split the boxers - it were toe to toe, at arms length, and just bombs to the head! It also helped they were both of exact same build and height too... What a fight.

It's the first time I have ever seen a ref actually throw the towel OUT of the ring after the corner have retired their man! Micky either had money riding on the fight or he's a better ref than even his high profile suggests, and to have dropped him immediately after your corner throws in your towel was a moment of genius. I don't think his knee touched down but there was no doubt it should have been counted as a standing 8 count.

Aye ive never seen a ref do that with the towel either. Didnt even know they could! Honestly what a fight though, like Stevie was saying i think Earl could of won it. He was f***ed though so probably was the right thing to do to stop it just in case anything bad happened to him. Wouldnt mind downloading that fight from somewhere to watch it again, anyone know if you can?

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 01:51:06 PM »

Aye ive never seen a ref do that with the towel either. Didnt even know they could! Honestly what a fight though, like Stevie was saying i think Earl could of won it. He was f***ed though so probably was the right thing to do to stop it just in case anything bad happened to him. Wouldnt mind downloading that fight from somewhere to watch it again, anyone know if you can?

Sent you a pm. ;)

« Reply #57 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 03:52:33 PM »

Aye ive never seen a ref do that with the towel either. Didnt even know they could! Honestly what a fight though, like Stevie was saying i think Earl could of won it. He was f***** though so probably was the right thing to do to stop it just in case anything bad happened to him. Wouldnt mind downloading that fight from somewhere to watch it again, anyone know if you can?

Sent you a pm. ;)

Cheers!

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 18 February 2007, 04:10:12 PM »

Aye ive never seen a ref do that with the towel either. Didnt even know they could! Honestly what a fight though, like Stevie was saying i think Earl could of won it. He was f***** though so probably was the right thing to do to stop it just in case anything bad happened to him. Wouldnt mind downloading that fight from somewhere to watch it again, anyone know if you can?

Sent you a pm. ;)

Cheers!

Welcome.

Li3nZ

« Reply #59 on: Monday 19 February 2007, 10:34:47 PM »

Well I was fairly p*ssed at the time and I questioned the legality of Vann throwing the towel back out of the ring... At first I was sure he must have had money riding on the fight, possibly the round Earl was to be KO'd or if fixed TKO'd. I still think it's a realistic possibility as I say I've also never heard of this EVER and I've seen many boxing matches and hundreds of amateur bouts. On the other hand the bout is fought at the sole discretion of the referee and the only other person who can stop the fight without question is the ringside doctor... and even then it's only an offer of advice!

Either way it were still a great fight and I would compare it to the tragic Nigel Benn and Gerald Mclellan fight from about 10 years ago... Despite the tragic end for the American it were one of the most gutsy, brutal, and awesome display of heart, strength, and stamina with thousands of punches thrown and hundreds landed.

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #60 on: Monday 19 February 2007, 10:39:59 PM »

Well I was fairly p*ssed at the time and I questioned the legality of Vann throwing the towel back out of the ring... At first I was sure he must have had money riding on the fight, possibly the round Earl was to be KO'd or if fixed TKO'd. I still think it's a realistic possibility as I say I've also never heard of this EVER and I've seen many boxing matches and hundreds of amateur bouts. On the other hand the bout is fought at the sole discretion of the referee and the only other person who can stop the fight without question is the ringside doctor... and even then it's only an offer of advice!

Either way it were still a great fight and I would compare it to the tragic Nigel Benn and Gerald Mclellan fight from about 10 years ago... Despite the tragic end for the American it were one of the most gutsy, brutal, and awesome display of heart, strength, and stamina with thousands of punches thrown and hundreds landed.

The corner can't retire the fighter in Britain apparently. Mickey Vann is a good ref, but he's also got a pretty big ego and it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't just saying: "I'm the boss here" and making an even bigger name for himself.

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
The boxing thread
« Reply #61 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:04:18 PM »
http://www.itv-boxing.com/News/Story_Page/0,14442,6169_1462875,00.html

Anyone think Manfedo has a chance?

Someone told me that you could get 10/1 on him winning, I think that's worth a tenner. Not because Manfredo is good, but because if Calzaghe is as half-arsed as what he was last time he's going to lose sometime and if he can't get himself up for it against a proper boxer like Sakio Bika, then how's he going to be against a reality-tv show not-quite-winner like Manfredo?
« Last Edit: Saturday 7 April 2007, 08:40:28 PM by indi »

BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
Re: Calzaghe v Manfredo - Tonight ITV
« Reply #62 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:05:35 PM »
Stupid risk.  Stupid f***ing fight, to be honest.
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Dokko

• TT
  • Howay you robot radgies
« Reply #63 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:06:51 PM »
When does Oscar De la Hoya fighting?

« Reply #64 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:10:09 PM »

May 5. Gonna get his arse kicked royally.

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
Re: Calzaghe v Manfredo - Tomorrow Night ITV
« Reply #65 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:17:50 PM »
Erm it's actually on tomorrow night. :blush:

« Reply #66 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:17:51 PM »

Hope not though.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

« Reply #67 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:18:56 PM »

I was just typing that.

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #68 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:20:08 PM »

I was just typing that.

Bloody bankholidays!!

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: Friday 6 April 2007, 08:28:43 PM »
It'll be utterly ludicrous if Calzaghe loses, but as Bluf says - what a stupid risk.

The College Dropout

• The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 7 April 2007, 12:19:48 PM »

Hope not though.

I think one of these uber rich celebrities has a million dollar bet on Mayweather to defeat Oscar.

Alan Shearer 9

« Reply #71 on: Saturday 7 April 2007, 12:55:04 PM »
this fight insults my intelligence

« Reply #72 on: Saturday 7 April 2007, 01:29:39 PM »

Hope not though.

I think one of these uber rich celebrities has a million dollar bet on Mayweather to defeat Oscar.

50 Cent(knobhead) has put $1m on Mayeather to KO De La Hoya. A KO is pretty unlikely IMO.

Alan Shearer 9

« Reply #73 on: Saturday 7 April 2007, 01:46:47 PM »

Hope not though.

50 Cent(knobhead) has put $1m on Mayeather to KO De La Hoya. A KO is pretty unlikely IMO.

De La Hoya has just signed a pre nup with 50 Cent's record label, watch out for a dive in the 5th, trust me

indi

• Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
Re: Calzaghe v Manfredo - 9pm ITV1 (Undercard on ITV4 Now)
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 7 April 2007, 08:40:38 PM »
Bump